Quota Service Not Starting, OMV Can't Boot

• First reboot in close to 90 days, been on OMV3.0 for a while and keeping up with patches. Plex server wasn't running right so figured I'd cold boot the server.

For the record, I just run this with a bunch of drives inside with media, my server supports RAID but I don't use it. Just a bunch of separate ext4 volumes inside. No pooling.

During the boot, the system stalls while a certain device seems to be trying to initiatilze. I believe this is one of the hard drives. It waits a minute and 30 seconds before giving up. All drives show up as clean. I believe I know which device though it is just giving a disk ID but not a volume name. I removed that device and rebooted and got same result.

The command that the shell told me to run from console mode when quota mode didn't start was "status quotaon.service". I ran that and got (skipping some basic stuff since I am manually keying this):

Loaded: loaded
    Active: failed, (Result: exit-code)
    Process: 1679 ExecStart=/sbin/quotaon -aug (code: exited, status=10)

It then claims it cannot find aquota.user or aquota.group on several of my volumes. I will say that I do not want to track quotas and max these volumes out and I have a feeling the fact that my disks are near full (they showed red in device manager when you looked at them during a working boot)...this may be the problem.

Unit quotaon.service entered failed state

Please let me know if I can provide logs or anything else (just need to figure out HOW to get a boot log off a system that won't boot and onto something I can transfer it online for). I assume the quotas are the key here and telling the config how to ignore them?

Any advice would be most appreciated!

• Tried a few more things. I removed the volume it was freezing on at boot and then it just picked 2 more volumes to do the same thing with, so it is definitely the quota script running against the first volume it finds with the "quota issue" I suppose, I had about 4 or 5 volumes in the "red" since I had them practically full.

I found this command and tried it:

"update-rc.d quota disable"

But it doesn't work, it instead throws 2 warning messages from insserv which report that runlevels of script quota are not matching defaults. Doesn't turn quotas off.

Something in one of these recent updates (again, haven't rebooted in a few months to track down when) is certainly not playing well with my single drives that are near capacity in this thing.

I also found this thread:

OMV hangs on boot

Very similar issues to me, but the command did throw the screenshot of the warnings that appears on page two, but did not indeed turn off any quotas.

Any other way I can force this quota thing off and out of my life would be appreciated.

I did see a post saying to remove every drive except the boot drive, boot into the system, run the command, then remount all drives, which I suppose I can try next?

This is crazy! What caused this?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've been running OMV on an R-PI for well over 2 years. A while back (to my dismay), I had an SD card fail on me. Why? I'll never know exactly "why". It just wouldn't complete a boot up.
    I do remember this from that experience; While I activated the Flash Memory Plugin, I didn't complete the manual edits that are outlined on the plug-in page, and are necessary. Without wear leveling, maybe the card wore out? Again, there's no way to know. What I do know is, I took a short cut and I might have paid for it.

After that, I made sure to create an exact copy of my SD card by using Win32Diskimager to "Read" my SD card and "write" a backup image file of my working build, BEFORE I have problems. I even went so far as to create and test a second SD card. Thus far, this routine has saved me some time and aggravation, at least once.

With proper backup, "IF" an system upgrade fails or even if there is some other failure, you can "punt" back to a USB drive/and SD card/etc. that you know works. Otherwise, you're just guessing at what might have went wrong.

In any case, yes, I would try to get the system to boot without data hard drives attached. If it boots, (after making sure to turn off disk quota's) I would consider using a USB drive dock so that drives could be mounted AFTER OMV boots up. Then, you could do a bit of house cleaning and delete some extraneous data.

As a rule of thumb, for nearly all OS's that use writable media, at least 10% of physical storage space should remain free.

• flmaxey,

First and foremost thanks for the generosity of your reply and comments. I totally agree that I should have cloned a working booting OMV the moment I had it, even to another SSD drive I could connect in a pinch. Alas, nothing to show for here and it has to be something that happened on one of the many upgrades over the past few months that turned quotas on and made them matter to the point where something is out of whack.

Alas, I've tried removing all 8 hard drives, leaving only the boot SSD OMV device in there, and not had any luck. The "update-rc.d quota disable" command still throws the same 2 warnings when I run it even when booting with just the OMV volume, and OMV itself doesn't show any interest in booting into the full system even on a drive by itself.

I think I need a different way to turn quotas off other than the "update-rc.d quota disable" command, or a way to make that command work and take, so that the quota service absolutely does not run.

Sidenote: OMV spends 1 minute and 30 seconds searching for all the drives before it proceeds when I unplug them, or when they are plugged in, the same amount of time trying to start the quota service on them. It's weird.

Anyway, hopeful for a miracle cure here, it's so frustrating to not be able to run my server. I guess the nuclear option will be a fresh install and to start totally over which scares me to death. There has to be a way to turn quotas off via config change in the XML or something here without this command, or a way to force this command without it throwing the warnings and not taking hold.

If anyone has any leads I'd sure appreciate.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!