Replacement for "old" OMV-RIG. G4560 vs i3-4160 ?

• Hello Guys,

first of all : HAPPY EASTERN!

Now let's move to the bad news - at least for me - .

My ASRock C2750D4I Mobo died on Wednesday due to the Intel Atom C200 bug....after a long discussion with Asrock Tech Support they will replace my board but it will take around 6 to 8 weeks to get the replacement.

As i'm not willing to wait here are my options so far:

Intel Pentium G4560

Asus P10S-I

KVR21E15D8K2/16I 16 GB DDR4 UDIMM ECC

Intel Core i3-4160
    ASUS P9D-I

Why only these two optios ? Because i have a Silverstone DS380 only capable for MINI ITX Mobos...therefore i'm pretty limited.

My OMV rig is DMS, PLEX and NAS in one. Equipped with 8 3TB WD Red and two SSD

So what's you opinion ?

Option 1 seems to be intresting for me because the CPU can encode h265 which seems to be very usefull for me plex server.

Option 2 is interesting because it's cheaper and i could use my existing ram.

Also if i choose any of these options is it necessary to reinstall OMV ?

Thank you in advance for your time and efforts

br

Writz

Software:
    OMV 3.0 / Plex / Snapraid / Tvheadend / ecoDMS / sonar / sabnzbd
    Hardware:
    ASRock C2750D4I / 2x Kingston KVR16E11/8 / Dell PERC H200 Crossflashed / 8x WD Red 3 TB / 60GB TeamGroup Dark L3 SSD / Samsung 750 EVO 256 GB SSD / Sundtek Sky TV Ultimate 6 DVB-S2

• The CPU performance is almost identical with passmark scores of around 5000.

The hardware encoding feature in Plex is still in beta, and not too sure if they'll ever use HW for x265 anytime soon, but I would still go with the newer hardware.

• Ouch.

My OMV server is an ASRock C2550D4I also in a Silverstone DS380 case. I put it together in June of 2015.

I am curious how long yours was running before it failed and why ASRock is taking so long to replace the board for you.

I got a warranty replacement in days due to a failed serial port.

Also, how did you determine that the failure was actually caused by the Atom C200 bug and not something else. What are the symptoms?

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• The CPU performance is almost identical with passmark scores of around 5000.

The hardware encoding feature in Plex is still in beta, and not too sure if they'll ever use HW for x265 anytime soon, but I would still go with the newer hardware.

I know the benchmark is nearly the same. with the i3 the investment costs are much cheaper therefore but the x265 encoding is pretty intresting for me as the Amazon Fire TV stick cannot play mi hi10p animes...therefore i thought for the G4560. But if it's still in beta...

Software:
    Hardware:
    ASRock C2750D4I / 2x Kingston KVR16E11/8 / Dell PERC H200 Crossflashed / 8x WD Red 3 TB / 60GB TeamGroup Dark L3 SSD / Samsung 750 EVO 256 GB SSD / Sundtek Sky TV Ultimate 6 DVB-S2

• I've bought my board in September 2014 and it was running more or less 24 hrs. Asrock Techsupport assumes there is a problem with the powerrail, causing my board to be stuck in boot process. They assume it's due to a bug caused by Watchdog.

As i was not running latest BMC Firmware i was affected...at least that's what they told me...

Dunno i'f im allowed to post to another Forum, so here is the link for more informations

As i have 3 Years warranty and the Motherboard is EOL i had to send it to Asrock NL. They will check the MOBO and then send it to Taiwan for repair...this is why it takes so long :(

Software:
    Hardware:

• The BMC watchdog bug is not the same thing as the Intel C2000 bug.

Sorry to hear that the board has to be returned to Taiwan for repair. Here in the US, they were able to send me a new board before I sent the broken one back to them.

This allowed me to keep the server running until the new board arrived as only the serial port stopped working. I too run 24/7.

Good luck with your repair.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• First they told me it's caused due to the Intel C2000 Bug.

Now as they have the board they have written there is a problem with the powerreil caused by Watchdog flooting some RAM.

As they have no spareparts and the board is EOL they cannot sent me an replacement - simply because they have none - and it will go to Taiwan and return to me after repair

Software:
    Hardware:

• Makes me wonder what EOL really means. They still sell those boards here in the US.

--

• I know the benchmark is nearly the same. with the i3 the investment costs are much cheaper therefore but the x265 encoding is pretty intresting for me as the Amazon Fire TV stick cannot play mi hi10p animes...therefore i thought for the G4560. But if it's still in beta...

You'll still be able to encode x265 files, just not with hardware but with software.
    The i3 you looked at is also EOL in 3 months.

• In Europe they have stopped selling the Atom SOC Boards...you can only get Xeon, Celereon etc.

@LarsN Software encoding is what i already have. If the G4560 can't decode by hardware right now i will go for the i3. As written before i will save around 170 € i've im going to choose the "old" i3. For this i3 going to be EOL it's not a problem, because you will find plenty of boards or later used CPU's for LGA1150. So i won't not to worry choosing this configuration. For the current borad it's different as it's with SOC. Despite some Supermicro boards - much more expensive - i have no other options.

Software:
    Hardware:

• Just bought an ASRock H110M-DGS in February along with a G4600. If the bios had been recent I would have been a happy camper, instead it took ASRock two months to get me a working bios to work with Kaby Lake. I'd also have been a happy camper if they actually sent the bios the first time they said they sent it, then the second time when they insisted they sent it apparently they didn't include sufficient postage and it took calling over several days and demands for a supervisor to get them to fed ex it, it showed up a week after that.

The G4xxx is apparently equivalent to sky lake i3 with x.265 encoder/decoder built in. I've used mine to encode some DVDs and Blue-rays and it flew along (compared to my old computer).

The board form factor is listed as Micro ATX but it's actually a lot smaller, 7.5"x7.4" I think it could be shoehorned into some ITX or DTX cases. Not saying buy this mb, rather some boards out there might be small enough to fit in the smaller cases, particularly if the case is designed for a 10" video card.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!