Missing OMVExtras plugin (The actual OMVExtras plugin)

• Offizieller Beitrag

This must be a cockpit error, however:

I installed the latest AMD 64 iso, openmediavault_3.0.58-amd64.iso. I updated the install with the lastest patches, etc., and upgraded to the latest version, 3.0.70
    To complete the install and enable the extra REPO's, I looked Under System, Plugins, Section:Utilities, for OMVExtras. (openmediavault-omvextrasorg 3.x.x) It's not there. (And note that it wasn't there in version 3.0.58 either.) I've reinstalled OMV from scratch with the ISO mentioned, (openmediavault_3.0.58-amd64.iso), with the same result.

I have a working R-PI build (OMV 3.0.68) which has openmediavault-omvextrasorg 3.4.25 under System, Plugins, Section:Utilities and it's installed.

So, did I miss something in a NOOB sort of way?

Any suggestions or even speculation on what might have went wrong would be appreciated.

• Offizieller Beitrag

omv-extras isn't included with the ISO installer. It is included with the RPi image because I create those. It is easy to install though - OMV-Extras.org Plugin

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I read somewhere that the Arm images and the ISO were, essentially, the same thing. So,, I ASSumed...
    (In my own defense, I did look the forum over for an explanation before opening a thread.)

But, when it gets right down to it, I NOOB'ed it.

Thanks for the link to the file.

Regards.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I read somewhere that the Arm images and the ISO were, essentially, the same thing.

The ISOs are an installer. The arm images are fully ready, already installed system.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• I was about to post the same thing flmaxey.
    it certainly counterintuitive not to include at least an option of installing it from within the GUI.

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

• Offizieller Beitrag

Since the OVMExtras plugin has been around a long time, and it's a gateway to a lot of additional NAS functionality, perhaps it's time to make it a part of a standard (ISO) build.

I've asked. Not going to happen.

• Offizieller Beitrag

it certainly counterintuitive not to include at least an option of installing it from within the GUI.

I agree!

Being a NOOB and all that

"counterintuitive" doesn't work very well for me.

I'm waiting (patiently) for the voice commanded installer.
    Something along the lines of "Just do it", would be great. :thumbup:

Cheers

• quoting Captain Picard of the USS Enterprise "Make it so!"

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've asked. Not going to happen.

Boo... (Not you.) It's the "Not going to happen" part.

Setting aside Rsync and the other standard features in OMV, some of the best "value added" NAS features are in OMV's plugin's. (Linux Voice made that point, specifically, in their article.) In fact, I'd be very surprised if there are more than a few working OMV installs that do not have one or more plugin's installed.

Since the OMV platform will always be under active development (currently 3.0Beta), it makes sense to allow early adopters an easy route to plugin's that are under active development as well. This allows OMV users to provide feedback, while using features they want or like. (Some users are upgrading to the 3.X Beta for the sole reason that a specific plugin is available in the newer release, that is not available otherwise.) If it is felt that a "threshold warning" is needed for OMVExtras, it could be provided in the plugin's description, with some red text if necessary. In the bottom line, for users and developers, ease of access is a win - win.

It doesn't make sense, in my humble opinion, to make it more difficult to access the "beta" phase components (plugin's) of OMV than it is to install a beta version of OMV itself (again, 3.X).
    OMV 3.0Beta is a menu style pick on SourceForge. The same should be true of the OMVExtras plugin, within a Beta version of OMV.

Just some thoughts on the matter.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I guess Volker figures it is enough to install the omv-extras plugin from the web interface.

• but you have to download the extras..deb file and upload it to OMV to use webUI
    why can't I just go to plugins and install it?

or it is an option in 3.0.70 ?

I am not talking about installing it by default or anything crazy like that.
    just have an installer in the OMV so I can install OMV, go to the plugin tab and click install Extras.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I guess Volker figures it is enough to install the omv-extras plugin from the web interface.

((Based on the "slumped shoulders" feel of your "Not happening" note above, I suspected it was Volker.))

But, you have to admit, "uploading" a standalone file, into the Web interface is an odd way to activate a plugin. The only time I've done anything like that was in loading a consumer router image.

It works, but as vl1969 put it, it's counterintuitive. Why not just pick it from a menu?

Anyway, I've enough.

Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

but you have to download the extras..deb file and upload it to OMV to use webUI
    why can't I just go to plugins and install it?

It is not in the official OMV repo. It would have to be for that to happen.

or it is an option in 3.0.70 ?

Nope

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!