New OMV UI

• For all of you that do not want to use the new theme, i've added support to configure the theme via environment variable in 3.0.76. Add OMV_WEBUI_THEME=(triton|gray) to /etc/default/openmediavault to switch the default theme. After that you need to remove the cache files in /var/cache/openmediavault/cache*.json.

Tip: you can do it from shell: only need to type:

Code
    echo 'OMV_WEBUI_THEME=gray' >> /etc/default/openmediavault

2017.12.18: actually this do not work for OMV4, see: New OMV UI

• Tip: you can do it from shell: only need to type:

Code
    echo 'OMV_WEBUI_THEME=gray' >> /etc/default/openmediavault

I've been trying to write a plugin that will enable users to easily make this change without needing to be comfortable with using the shell, but it's been a drag since I have never written a plugin for OMV before. @ryecoaaron has been helping me out but I've deliberately vague with him so that I can try to work it out and learn on my own. Sadly I have not made too much progress though because I'm very pressed for time at the moment.

• I know it's an easy one-liner but I am doing it moreso to learn how to write a basic plugin. I want to do something more complicated but before I do I want to start off with something simple.

• I know it's an easy one-liner

To add it the first time, it is an easy one-liner. After that, you need to be able to check/change the value. So, you would need to grep the file for the value and then change it (if necessary) with something like sed.

omv 5.6.13 usul | 64 bit | 5.11 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.6.2 | kvm plugin 5.1.6
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• To add it the first time, it is an easy one-liner. After that, you need to be able to check/change the value. So, you would need to grep the file for the value and then change it (if necessary) with something like sed.

Well I haven't made much progress for mainly two reasons:

• I am still trying to work my way through understanding how to make even a basic plugin that doesn't do anything work properly. I am trying to modify the template you helped assemble on GitHub to fit my needs, but I have run into several problems which I think are fixed but I haven't been able to play around with. Even with your help, I am struggling because of the lack of up-to-date documentation.
    • I have been too busy to work on any of the stuff I mentioned above.

If I can get the plugin working, it's not going to be all that impressive at first, but my plan is that as I learn more about OMV plugin development, I would like to expand its feature set to allow users to do things like customize the CSS and the control panel logo. Again, I know that it's really not something that's so complicated that it deserves a plugin, but it would be a fun way to learn.

• I know it's an easy one-liner but I am doing it moreso to learn how to write a basic plugin. I want to do something more complicated but before I do I want to start off with something simple.

Good Idea for a weekend (or more) Project

To add it the first time, it is an easy one-liner. After that, you need to be able to check/change the value. So, you would need to grep the file for the value and then change it (if necessary) with something like sed.

That's the "problem"
    search for the Line that Contains the value, and change / set it to "gray" or "triton"
    if doesn't exist write a new line
    and that's all in the plugin

• Strange things with rows and and the progress bar in the "Used" column in "File Systems" tab.

In gray theme: Progress bar stretches row. Text content in all cells is not centered.

in triton and gray theme: When the progress bar is shown, clicking on a cell results in a border with wrong bottom position.

That's one of those things that I did not notice before, but now that it's been pointed out, it's going to bother me.

While we're on that subject, I've noticed that when viewing the performance statistics, there's a weird diagonal white line that you see when viewing any statistics that result in three rows of tabs.

• Even with your help, I am struggling because of the lack of up-to-date documentation.

There are some things that can't be documented. Especially how to work with a file in the mkconf area. That is generally just bash scripting. I learned most things about a plugin by reverse engineering the other plugins.

omv 5.6.13 usul | 64 bit | 5.11 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.6.2 | kvm plugin 5.1.6

• There are some things that can't be documented. Especially how to work with a file in the mkconf area. That is generally just bash scripting. I learned most things about a plugin by reverse engineering the other plugins.

I understand that it is bash scripting, but it would be nice to have something that explained what each part of the plugin does. As you know I found a post that explains it, but it's outdated. I originally did try learning by taking a plugin apart, but I was so confused that I gave up on it.

That's what I meant ... but to understand is the problem.

Download the .deb file. extract the included files .. and Learn

Here is the GitHub repository for the OMV3 plugin template that @ryecoaaron and I worked on. (Although it was mostly just him doing it and I was going along for the ride.)

• I understand that it is bash scripting, but it would be nice to have something that explained what each part of the plugin does. As you know I found a post that explains it, but it's outdated. I originally did try learning by taking a plugin apart, but I was so confused that I gave up on it.

Did you look at this? https://github.com/skyajal/diy…/OMV3.xDIYPluginGuide.pdf

• Nope, I never saw it before. Thanks for sharing!

I thought there was a link on the forum but I couldn't find it.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!