OMV 3.X versus OMV 2.X; "Growing" a RAID 5 array

• Got it going. Thanks guys.

Yes definitely have all the important stuff backed up, like pics and documents. Most of it is media and I sync pretty regularly with a buddy.

I might step up to RAID 6 just for a little more peace of mind.

• There are "should"s in the statement While it should work, it may do something wrong.

The last time I looked at this, which was a couple years ago (OMV 3.X), the mdadm RAID "Grow" button added a drive as a spare. It didn't actually grow the array. There's a thread from that time frame concerning this behavior.

As of the last time I checked OMV 3, (about a year ago) the Grow button would only add a spare.

• As of the last time I checked OMV 3, (about a year ago) the Grow button would only add a spare.

It adds the drive and then does two grows - https://github.com/openmediava…ned/rpc/raidmgmt.inc#L308

omv 5.6.0 usul | 64 bit | 5.4 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.5.3
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• It adds the drive and then does two grows - github.com/openmediavault/open…ned/rpc/raidmgmt.inc#L308

In OMV4, I just checked and you're right.

But the user in this thread is still on OMV3

Should I reboot? I'm on OMV3.

I have an OMV3 VM built so I checked it again. As it was before, the "Grow" button adds a drive as a spare (details below) with no option in the GUI to actually grow (as in restripe) the array.

At the time (a couple years ago), I assumed that this was intended behavior - that Dev's (yourself, Volker, etc.) were attempting to discourage growing RAID5 arrays because of the risks.

• But the user in this thread is still on OMV3

OMV3 does an add then one grow - https://github.com/openmediava…ned/rpc/raidmgmt.inc#L296

At the time (a couple years ago), I assumed that this was intended behavior - that Dev's (yourself, Volker, etc.) were attempting to discourage growing RAID5 arrays because of the risks.

I don't think that was intentional but I honestly don't remember. Just one more reason to upgrade to OMV 4.x.

omv 5.6.0 usul | 64 bit | 5.4 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.5.3
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!