HP T620 Thin Client Build

• Hello!

I'm using a HP T620 as my Open Media Vault Server. This is my first attempt with OMV, but I have been running a RPi for my "NAS" purposes previously. I'm also a Linux administrator, so I am somewhat familiar with Linux and NAS storage. Granted, I'm used to RHEL in a very large customized environment and huge NetApps, not open source small implementations.

So the limitations of my RPi finally got to me. It needed USB 3.0 for my needs and 1 Gb network connection - Hence the thin client. It's quiet, has a SSD and enough power, two usb 3.0's and a fast ethernet port. I was able to get one new in the box off of eBay for $120.

I have installed OMV 2.1 on the internal 16 GB SSD and will be connecting two 2TB Seagate USB 3.0 drives externally. I will be leaving them formatted NTFS so that they can be removed and installed directly into my laptop if needed. I will be sharing one drive over the network via SMB and then running a nightly rsync (at least that's how I have been doing it).

Ultimately, All I want to do with this system is automatically download our family photos from Amazon Photo for backup. Then I'd like to be able to upload adititonal data to the drive over the network and have a second backup made of the data. It will be used ...monthly, maybe. I will not be doing any streaming or anything like that.

Here's my first snag:
    I have OMV installed and I can access the webpage from my IPad fine, but not from my work Windows 10 laptop. I'm thinking something on this machine is blocking it. Any ideas there? I cannot ping the thin client at all.

• It needed USB 3.0 for my needs and 1 Gb network connection - Hence the thin client. It's quiet, has a SSD and enough power, two usb 3.0's and a fast ethernet port.

Litte correction...no...it has Gigabit 8o

--
    Get a Rose Tattoo...

HP t5740 with Expansion and USB3, Inateck Case w/ 3TB WD-Green
    OMV 5.5.23-1 Usul i386|4.19.0-9-686-pae

• Wow, that's sloppy of me... I meant "fast" as in faster than 100Mbps! Good catch.

So with that said, after hacking on OMV 2.1 last night - I have to say I'm hoping that I don't have to scrap my plans and build it myself... It seems like NTFS drives may not play well. I know EXT4 is what I should run since this is all Linux based, but I really want the ability to pull the drive off the system and plug it directly into my laptop. My wife is the abuser of this, she just can't figure out network shares...

I was able to manually mount my drives in the /etc/fstab with UUID's and such. I can't get the SMB share working in the GUI - it wants a volume. SO, I'm going to try and edit the smb.conf directly and see how mad that makes OMV. If that doesn't work, I'll probably just throw a Linux distro on the thin client and just build what I want again, like I did on my RPi. I was hoping that OMV would make it easier to setup and implement my plan, but it seems to be fighting me more than just doing it manually.

• If you can access the GUI from somewhere, the reason is the §$%&/()= Win 10 Machine. Firewall?
    Examine the logs on OMV.

Don´t do anything manual at first like hackin in the smb.conf ´n stuff. OMV does alter these files.

How didi you install? From OMV ISO?
    Why 2.1?
    Personally, I would install a clean jessie netinstall and put OMV3 on top. Make your setting via GUI.

And, at last...a NAS is not meant to be kicked of its drive(s) for some reason like plugging it into laptops or so.
    Don´t use NTFS for data drives, please...

HTH

--
    Get a Rose Tattoo...

HP t5740 with Expansion and USB3, Inateck Case w/ 3TB WD-Green
    OMV 5.5.23-1 Usul i386|4.19.0-9-686-pae

• It must be a firewall issue on the Windows 10 machine...I'm a Linux admin and know very little about Windows 10. Not sure where to start on this one, but I'll keep digging.

I don't want to manually hack, hence using OMV. But it couldn't mount my NTFS drives, so I forced it manually and it works now. I was getting an error #6000.

I installed OMV via bootable USB and the ISO. I selected v2.1 because I wanted to run a prod version and not a beta, but I can change that if it's suggested.

Why Jessie w/ OMV3 on top? what's the benefit vs just running OMV?

My intention is not really to use OMV as a NAS pe-se. I just want to use it to mount, rsync, and share. I plan on doing no raid setup...yet.

I think I'm getting a bit frustrated with the cross-platform issues - It may not make any sense to have a Linux based storage devices when it is my only Linux machine in the house.

Also, I do not want to format these drives in order to make them EXT4 - frankly, I don't think I have enough space elsewhere to store the data while I do the operation! I'd have to get real creative that's for sure.

• Whahaha but I do have sata disks on sata ports on my clients. And I can acces my nas everywhere. Maybe it's better to get a big ssd for it, so you don't have to use usb. Maybe usb for the installation of omv, a usb to sata converter or something. And another cheap thin client which you can place in another place then your own house, to rsync backup the data. At your parents or family or friends or work.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn XT1562 met Tapatalk

---------------------------------------------
    My HP T610 thin client NAS
    My Thin Client single drive NAS build
    -----------------------------------------------------
    I'm from the Netherlands, excuse me for bad english
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

• I'm trying not to buy MORE stuff to make this work... I was actually planning on adding a second system at a remote site to rsync to, but I have to get the first one working first.

Is there something fundamentally wrong with installing Deb 8.x Jessie / OMV3 on the 16GB SSD in the thin client and use two USB 3.0 drives for data (lets ignore formatting and raid setup for now, but EXT4/Raid1?)...

• I'm trying not to buy MORE stuff to make this work... I was actually planning on adding a second system at a remote site to rsync to, but I have to get the first one working first.

Is there something fundamentally wrong with installing Deb 8.x Jessie / OMV3 on the 16GB SSD in the thin client and use two USB 3.0 drives for data (lets ignore formatting and raid setup for now, but EXT4/Raid1?)...

Nothing wrong with that.
    usb in raid is possible but I dont know if it will help in performance, you can give it a try. But not in NTFS.
    The only NTFS disk I'm using is an external one for USB-BACKUP method.
    And what if the omv box dies, just build a linux system, mount the disk and you will get your data back.

My HP T610 thin client NAS
    My Thin Client single drive NAS build
    -----------------------------------------------------
    I'm from the Netherlands, excuse me for bad english
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!