what hardware for NAS

• Should work like a charm. You could add more RAM but 8 GB is quite good already.

Maybe you should think about a Kaby Lake setup. An ASRock board would spare some bucks but MSI is fine.

What drives do you want to use? How about OS drive?

Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought.
    It always defeats order, because it is better organized.
    Terry Pratchett

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von riff-raff ()

• If you don't want to build from scratch stick to Dropkick Murphys ProLiant. You will profit from ECC support and iLO4. Cheap is this server anyway ...

Terry Pratchett

• OS disk will be Intel SSD 40 GB which I have from old setup.
    Data drives will be 2TB Seagate for servers and some WD 750GB. Later plan to add more 2 TB drive.

HP ProLiant looks nice, but spare parts not easy to get, and I have PSU already

Gigabyte GA-N3150N-D3V look very nice, only downside is 4 port SATA. Maybe some expansion card for additional SATA?

• We can spend many words talking about data storage, but the most important thing is data security.
    Mounting old HDDs it does not make sense. Only few HDDs with good capacity and quality are needed (like wd red >= 3tb).
    You can also think to install OMV on a SanDisk Cruzer Extreme Pen Drive 32 GB USB 3.0, so you can have 4 sata free.
    I have 7tb on lvm with 2 wd red in a Cooler Master Elite 110 and I can mount 3x3.5'' in this mini-itx case.
    So, in the future, a Raid 5 is possible installing OMV in a internal 16GB sata dom.
    Do not think that the first configuration is the definitive one.
    You can always start with few and safe quality TBs....then expand them when needed.

• You could also use a SLC USB drive or a regular USB drive with flash plugin for OS. With increasing capacities I would stick to Raid 6 for rebuild security.

Terry Pratchett

• RAID 6 is too big for me :) Maybe I will use RAID 5 + one external drive for backup
    Thanks for good ideas, mobo with built CPU looks good for simple NAS.
    Better save a little on mobo, and gain money for new HDDs.

I am not sure if pendrive will be better than SSD.

• E3C236D2I is the successor. Almost the same board, but with newer chipset and all 6 SATA are controlled by the C236. USB3 for DOM and M.2 (Shared with SATA0) are supported.

Terry Pratchett

• If it can give some ideas, here is my hardware (mix of used parts, new parts, and other parts that i had available).
    Main goal was to have a good expandability and a low power consumption. I wish i found a lower max wattage PSU, but then it wouldn't be modular or wouldn't have enough SATA power cables.

# Hardware
    Case: Fractal Define R3 (my old main case, good because it has loads of HDD cages)
    PSU: Be Quiet 500w modular Gold (new buy)
    Motherboard: Asus Z87 Pro V Edition (used part, taken because it has loads of SATA ports)
    RAM : Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 2133Mhz CL9 (overkill but i had it in stock)
    CPU: Intel Celeron G1840 @ 2,8Ghz (new buy, very cheap and might be enough for a NAS)
    GPU: None
    System Drive : SanDisk SSD SDSSDA12 120GB (new buy)
    Drives : 3x 4TB Seagate ST4000DM000-1F21 + 1x 3TB Western Digital WD30EZRX-00M (had them all already)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!