Latest Update via SSH Destroyed WebGUI, Samba, Other Services

• I SSH'd into my box and did the normal sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade to notice a slew of updates. Some of them did not want to cooperate, so I did a sudo apt-get dist-upgrade as I knew that Debian 9 was officially released. Many of the upgrades asked about the local configuration file and let me choose to keep the local file or the maintaner's version. I chose to keep the local file instead of the maintainer's version for each instance.

I am now left with OMV in a very unusable state. SSH still works, but the WebGUI is broken, Samba is broken, Plex, Syncthing, BitTorrent, etc. are all broken. Thankfully, I can still browse my files in ZFS, so I can backup my data. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hope you have a backup because OMV 3.x does not work with Debian 9 Stretch at all and this would be a nightmare to rollback. The fact that you had stable in your sources.list instead of jessie means your system would upgrade to Debian 9 as soon as Debian 9 was marked stable. You must have installed Debian manually since the OMV installer doesn't use stable in sources.list. So, there is nothing OMV could do to prevent this.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hope you have a backup because OMV 3.x does not work with Debian 9 Stretch at all and this would be a nightmare to rollback. The fact that you had stable in your sources.list instead of jessie means your system would upgrade to Debian 9 as soon as Debian 9 was marked stable. You must have installed Debian manually since the OMV installer doesn't use stable in sources.list. So, there is nothing OMV could do to prevent this.

Thanks for your response @ryecoaaron, I believe the problem lies within the fact that I had doctored the sources.list with netselect. I hadn't considered it changing the mirrors altogether in that manner. Unfortunately, my latest clonezilla backup is quite old. It looks like I'll simply be doing a reinstall. I'll mark this as resolved.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have disabled SSH access via the root user for security purposes, but I don't understand what that has to do with Ubuntu.

Debian has typically used an active root user where Ubuntu does not. This means you would su to the root user to execute root commands on Debian/OMV and use sudo to execute root commands on Ubuntu. A lot of people think using sudo is safer but I don't have a strong opinion either way. sudo is a requirement of OMV though...

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Debian has typically used an active root user where Ubuntu does not. This means you would su to the root user to execute root commands on Debian/OMV and use sudo to execute root commands on Ubuntu. A lot of people think using sudo is safer but I don't have a strong opinion either way. sudo is a requirement of OMV though...

Ah, OK, I suppose it's a difference in philosophies, then. I've read multiple opinions on how to navigate through a system, but I personally try not to do too many things as root as I've really screwed myself over in the past by modifying or deleting things as a root user; whereas I would have gotten a request for elevated privileges if I was just my normal user.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!