Windows shares / samba Trouble shooting

• THANK YOU,

I did a new install, and had the exact same problem. Spent countless hours scouring forums and troubleshooting. I was about to give up, then i read your post, and 10 minutes later everything was working OOB!!

• Hello,

I'm having troubles with the SMB performance on OSX Sierra.
    It turned out it is a general issue if signing is enabled on the samba server.
    On the OMV (3.0.99) I was setting some extra options to speed up the connections.

Code
    client ipc signing = default
    server signing = disabled
    min receivefile size = 16384
    read cache size = 524288
    write cache size = 524288
    getwd cache = yes
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
    client min protocol = SMB3

These option are also visible if I check the /etc/samba/smb.conf

However If I mount the share on my Mac those options seems not to be effective:

Signing is on, SMB 1-2 are still supported :(

I did restart both NAS and Mac.

• Got a similar error while enabling the SMB Share via the UI..

It said Hostname needs to be <15 Character.

Enabled it from Shell

`systemctl start smbd` and the share worked without any hitches

Where do you configure the hostname via the webUI?

• Helo ! I just found out that sometimes (always ?) NetBIOS is not activated by default in Win10.

I found a solution here : https://answers.microsoft.com/…93-4a4b-bfb3-935fa17e9a2b

To solve the pb :

1. Win+X -> Control Panel->Network and Sharing Center->Change Adapter Settings
    2. Right click on the Network Adapter->Properties
    3. Click to select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) -> Properties ->Advanced->WINS
    4. Click to select "Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP" then click OK.
  • Microsoft has totally busted SMB/CIFS. I have tried every conceivable combination from everywhere on this forum or the web and SMB is DOA!

Which means OMV is useless on a Windows network.

What can the OMV developers do to fix this?

Or is there another option, like, NFS?

I am not a newbie but this one has me stumped.

One other tidbit: I have an old ThinkPad that is running Win 10 Pro V 1909 and it works perfectly.

This just should be this hard.

kaosken (and, yes, it is pronounced chaos)

• I have tried every conceivable combination from everywhere on this forum or the web and SMB is DOA!

Which means OMV is useless on a Windows network.

Not true. I'm running fully up-to-date W10 clients without issues. On the other hand, OEM's attempting to help PC users, may have changed various settings and security policies in your Win10 installation.

Have you looked here -> Connect W10

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!