Supermicro X10SDV-4C+-TLN4F vs ASRock Rack C236 WSI

• At the moment, I'm running a Supermicro X10SDV-4C+-TLN4F. Fantastic board, but has some drawbacks for me, i.e. power consumption. In idle state and with disabled 10GbE it consumes 38W, which is quite too much. Also IPMI is fine, but I don't really need it. But ECC, IGP and at least 2x 1GbE NICs are very important for me.

So I thought about replacing the Supermicro with an ASRock C236 WSI along with a Pentium G4600T. Has anyone such a board running and can tell me how much power does it consume in idle?
    Any other thoughts on this replacement?

• 15W according to http://www.technikaffe.de/anle…sata_und_ecc_fuer_skylake. It's in german, but google translate might do the job. I can't decode if it is for the entire system with disks or only the basic system.

Note: Your power supply will have a big impact on power consumption, most power supplies have really bad efficiencies under 50W load. But then again, the embedded Xeons are not exactly frugal when it comes to idle power. I'd start by changing the PSU, perhaps making use of the return option your shop gives and see what happens. 10W in savings is not unrealistic with right PSU, e.g. cooler master V550, pico psus or Seasonic SSP 300SFG. http://hardware.info has a big database containing efficiencies for 22.5 W loads. It might point to a PSU satisfying your need.

• Thanks a lot for this link. I'm german citizen ;)
    I'm forced to use a server PSU (1u), so I'm running a FSP300-701UJ at the moment. And that seems to be the only PSU that I can use (the location of fan, DC plug and power switch have to be like at Fortron PSU)

• Maybe you can be creative with a Pico PSU plus a flexible cable, if the PICO Psu PCB is higher than the 1U case. It will at least give you a benchmark for the best efficiency you can expect of any PSU.

• I use the asrock C236 board. I just changed my ups on it where I have the 40 inch tv that I use as my monitor, a camera dvr that is also running off the same ups and the nas. Without the nas being on and only the tv and dvr with, chromecast and wiifi ap all turned on, I get 0 kw. When I turn the nas on, I go from .145 at turn on and then it goes does to .056 kw if that means anything. I'm not accessing it or anything, I just turned it on and that is with 6 hard drives installed and it's just humming along. I also keep my nas off when I don't use it and just turn it on when I need it, I can do this remotely too which is why I set it up this way so it's not always on just to extend the life of my nas a bit more. I changed the power supply on my previous nas three times over the time I had it since I kept that one on all the time and I hardly ever used it so this works for me. The board works well so I like it, but depending on how many hard drives you are going to plug into it, a pico psu will not be what you want unless it's just one drive or two, which I doubt will be the case if you're getting this board.

• I use the asrock C236 board. I just changed my ups on it where I have the 40 inch tv that I use as my monitor, a camera dvr that is also running off the same ups and the nas. Without the nas being on and only the tv and dvr with, chromecast and wiifi ap all turned on, I get 0 kw. When I turn the nas on, I go from .145 at turn on and then it goes does to .056 kw or 56 w if that means anything. I'm not accessing it or anything, I just turned it on and that is with 6 hard drives installed and it's just humming along. I also keep my nas off when I don't use it and just turn it on when I need it, I can do this remotely too which is why I set it up this way so it's not always on just to extend the life of my nas a bit more. I changed the power supply on my previous nas three times over the time I had it since I kept that one on all the time and I hardly ever used it so this works for me. The board works well so I like it, but depending on how many hard drives you are going to plug into it, a pico psu will not be what you want unless it's just one drive or two, which I doubt will be the case if you're getting this board. On my desktop which I'm not using a small old zotac nano, the ups shows 48 w, but I also have the monitor, modem, router, 8 port switch, and speakers plugged into it. I also have my zen server and other nas here but they are not on just to give you an idea. I did forget to mention that I use an I3 cpu and not the server version.

• Nice, I finally got some problems sorted out here on my side. I got a new UPS, the old one was not staying on battery power, then I found out that the actual outlet was bad and had to be changed because it was just very old and too lose. After this, I notice with the nas on, tv, camera dvr and cameras, and chrome, and AP and the small switch, total power is about 90w. So it's nowhere near yours but I did have more things running. Now I just keep the nas and tv off until I need them. So it looks like it's only sipping 27 watts of power. So I guess it's not bad if I leave it off since I don't need it on all the time.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!