New approach for Raspberry Pi OMV images

• I don't plan on 'fixing' this since obviously almost nobody is using this functionality anyway and I've no idea whether the new/enhanced output is only generated on the RPi 3 B+ where this 'soft temperature' stuff has been invented or on the other/older RPi as well.

Hey,

I just wanted to say your work is greatly appreciated. I love OMV on my RPi. You guys rock.

• https://transfer.sh/wKK4S/OMV_…rry_Pi_2_3_3Plus_4.img.xz

This image is the same as before and all I did was replacing the contents of the /boot partition with what's present on a recent Raspbian Lite (there's the kernel and the ThreadX stuff).

Should work on RPi 2 up to 4. I'm testing it right now on an RPi 2 and a 4 but on really crappy SD cards and it takes ages. I need to go to bed now.

The problem with our OMV image is this: the FAT partition where ThreadX and the kernel images reside is just 64 MB in size. Latest Raspbian release notes state: 'Boot partition size set to 256M'.

I guess that's the reason they babble about everyone should start with 'Raspbian Buster' from scratch instead of updating their existing installs. Since an updated install won't adjust partition sizes and as such later upgrades might fail due to 'filesystem full'.

Testers wanted. @ryecoaaron in case of positive feedback you might want to upload this image to SF as OMV_4_Raspberry_Pi_4.img.xz or something like this so we get a few more testers. The MD5 hash is eca1b6f23405f42f07f5e94f5e8ac7f2

• @tkaiser Would love to help you guys test it, as RPi4 finally seems to be a good option for budget NAS :)
    I have installed it on my RPi4B and encountered a few problems. What would be the best place to post the issues?
    Also, I don't know Linux too well. Should I do something extra (logs?) when reporting issues?
    For an example, the biggest blocker right now is a blank accept/revert changes pop-up window. I can't make the "Save your changes..." notification go away anymore, even after rebooting the Pi and using the firstaid - guess I'll just re-install the whole OMV. But I can wait with it if you need some kind of log/screenshots.

• Next try, this time adopting the apt pinning fixes outlined here: Raspberry pi 4 announced, better than 3?

The Linux side of fixes here: https://github.com/ThomasKaise…898e9810391bed92c0e893e62

The ThreadX side of fixes is an added enable_uart=1 at the end of /boot/config.txt which allows to debug issues with a serial console.

And after applying all outstanding updates (at the time of this writing that's 151 packages) it looks like this:

Image download: https://transfer.sh/abKmQ/OMV_…rry_Pi_2_3_3Plus_4.img.xz (MD5 hash a164f294e2e6d47a1ec73e9c5b417a3c)

Feedback wanted (only for this version, the old image missed necessary adoptions).

• Downloading for test it

I will be back soon!! :)

• I will be back soon!!

Most probably not. On first boot a few packages are installed which can take ages on crappy SD cards. I just tested it on an old 4GB Intenso SD card in parallel and the whole procedure for the 1st boot took roughly 40 minutes. Updating all the outstanding packages later took another 30 minutes.

That's why it's important that you only use A1 rated SD cards even if some guys who think they would be qualified to write 'new user guides' will never understand that and flood the forum with annoying BS and as such waste developer time.

Which reminds me to stop contributing to OMV unless the @crashtest problem is resolved.

• Most probably not. On first boot a few packages are installed which can take ages on crappy SD cards. I just tested it on an old 4GB Intenso SD card in parallel and the whole procedure for the 1st boot took roughly 40 minutes. Updating all the outstanding packages later took another 30 minutes.
    That's why it's important that you only use A1 rated SD cards even if some guys who think they would be qualified to write 'new user guides' will never understand that and flood the forum with annoying BS and as such waste developer time.

Which reminds me to stop contributing to OMV unless the @crashtest problem is resolved.

First Boot: About 2 minutes in a Sandisk 32 gb A1 Card. OMV GUI working.
    Cant login in SSH.... Tryed all I can remember.

Could you share the ssh user and password by default for this image?

Regards!!!!

My testing setup:
    - Your Image burned with Balena Etcher.
    - Rpi4 4gb version
    - 1Tb Hitachi Harddrive to USB3.0 without external power.

• Cant login in SSH.... Tryed all I can remember

Check the readme.txt at download location: https://sourceforge.net/projec…/Raspberry%20Pi%20images/

This image is still the same, it has never been booted, just ThreadX/kernel have been exchanged and those few bits. So the need to manually enable SSH access is still the same as before.

• Most probably not. On first boot a few packages are installed which can take ages on crappy SD cards. I just tested it on an old 4GB Intenso SD card in parallel and the whole procedure for the 1st boot took roughly 40 minutes. Updating all the outstanding packages later took another 30 minutes.

I can confirm that "root" and "openmediavault" is not working as SSH by default at first boot.
    I Marked "Permit root login" and now works with root :)

I created a new user and works great now.

Testing:

- Harddrive Format EXT4
    - User privileges for all
    - Installed FTP and shared folder
    - Installed Samba and shared folder
    - Installed SSH

All working for now , later I will pass a few Bench test :)

Edit: Posted some Test in RPI 4 Thread:
    https://forum.openmediavault.o…?postID=207579#post207596

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just as it is with a possible ZnapZends How-To, (which will never happen), feel free to write a better "New User How-To". And as has been said before, on multiple occasions, feel free to waste your time (or not) as you see fit. No one is forcing anyone to do anything.

(Resolved? :) You do understand this is a "public" forum, right?) You've been making this promise, for years, but never deliver. Now please, and I'm asking nicely, stop referencing my user name when you feel like ranting. New forum users have no idea of your nature or what you're talking about in your off topic forays, so why not stick to the thread's title "Raspberry PI OMV images"? That would be best for everyone.

• You do understand this is a "public" forum, right?

Exactly. In my moderator role the last two years I had to approve posts by you most of the times. I'm a 'freedom of speech' believer and I hate censorship. But it has to be possible to discuss, and if the recipient is either unable or unwilling to understand... to call BS... BS. And that's what you spreading. BS. And it's important for others to be aware that you're originating BS.

If OMV as a project allows newbies to be taught stupid things then I don't want to be part of this project. Your 'new user guide' is written by someone remaining in last Century. All this frustrating obsession on static IP addresses and ancient concepts, all this fear of 'stuff that simply works' (service propagation and discovery)... disgusting.

New User Guide - Getting Started with Openmediavault -- what a mess. And you think adding countless lines of Blabla in a white font helps? I took the time to read through all this mess just to list the 20 most severe issues with your user guide... PROOF READING.... no reaction other than trying to hide this.

@votdev your call. I don't want to be part of a project that is misleading users and where I have to spend huge amounts of time trying to explain facts that get denied in the most arrogant way possible.

• @ryecoaaron and @votdev please think about that those transfer.sh links disappear within 2 weeks.

Should I upload to a permanent Gdrive or Mega link if transfer.sh dissapear and there is no other option to download it?
    (No updates or new versions from OMV to anxious users like me).

Thanks to that file Im enjoying a lot my new RPI4, and thanks again to you!!!

Edit:

Testing several Sandisk A1 class cards and A2 class cards to see if really is any increase in IOPS.....all test I found around internet are not really good about A2 cards......
    Will update my test soon for people wanting the best speed card solution for RPI4. (not in this thread)

• Offizieller Beitrag

But it has to be possible to discuss, and if the recipient is either unable or unwilling to understand... to call BS... BS.

There's a difference between a "broadcast", where anything you don't agree with is "BS" (as you put it), and a "discussion". A discussion is two way street - this is not your strong suit. For this reason, I've stopped reading your broadcasts.

You keep bringing up the guide so let me be clear - this is a simple concept that might seem abstract so I'll spell it out. OMV was not designed for users like you and where the guide is concerned, "New User" is in the title for a reason. OMV is intended for users who don't have Linux knowledge, that don't know how to get on the command line immediately, for people who are so inexperienced that 90% of what you have to say (repetitively) is nearly meaningless to them. The guide is written for a broad cross section of this type of user, again, not for you. These users, beginners, intermediates, appreciate the document and there's plenty in forum threads to support that, along with comments on my wall, e-mails, PM's, etc.

Along those lines, what you "think" should be in a guide, is just a matter of opinion. Anyone could ask for another section or additional detail, for some arbitrary reason, and some have. That doesn't mean I'm going to rewrite a document that's 83 pages long, just to humor you. And here's the bottom line; of all forum users and this includes more than one of OMV's moderators and experienced users, you are the only one (and I mean the ONLY ONE) to take issue with what I've written. Do you have any idea "why"? (Please, rhetorical, no need to reply.)

As has been stated before, you're free to write your own guide. I'd love to see how you present your ideas in such a document.

To address another seeming pet peeve of your's; there's no "progress" to be made in a "New User" guide because every single day will bring brand new inexperienced users who know very little about OMV or Linux. They're starting at the beginning and that line "the beginning" can't be moved forward.
    And you speak of your "moderator responsibilities":
    Along those lines, some your dealings with new forum users, beginners, etc., have been tragic and the list is long. Arrogant and condescending, doesn't even begin to cover it.

If OMV as a project allows newbies to be taught stupid things then I don't want to be part of this project. Your 'new user guide' is written by someone remaining in last Century. All this frustrating obsession on static IP addresses and ancient concepts, all this fear of 'stuff that simply works' (service propagation and discovery)... disgusting.

Both indespensible and demanding. My, my... :)
    Yes, as previously stated, OMV is designed for newbies. Whatever it takes in a guide, to get them on the way to a working NAS, is a good thing even if it's not your preference for how you'd like to see it done.
    I suppose, considering the outcomes on the Armbian Forum and the Raspberry PI forum (all of which have users, moderators, etc., who know nothing, doing stupid things, etc.), a rash choice would be inevitable.

• So, let's outline what's necessary with OMV on the RPi. For any other developer willing to waste his time in this idiotic/toxic environment here this might save you at least some initial time...

Situation as follows:

• RPi Trading Ltd. switched their official support away from Debian Stretch to Debian Buster some weeks ago. This not only affects Raspbian users but also 'consumers' of their kernel like OMV. Our approach is to combine a rather clean upstream Debian armhf userland (created by the Armbian build system with some adoptions) with the kernel from archive.raspberrypi.org. While some people believe userland and kernel would be the same this is an important distinction. What was needed in the past (OMV3 still relying on Debian Jessie while RPi folks moved on to Stretch) is also needed now: APT pinning and of course updating ThreadX and kernel files on the FAT partition for an image that should work on RPi
    • The size of the FAT partition is or might become an issue
    • The recommended way to install an OMV5 beta on Debian/Raspbian Buster is currently broken (the warning message has been added to armbian-config but it seems the package hasn't been updated in the repo)

The 1st issue means that from now on OMV users on the RPi are cut off from kernel updates anyway so this switch by RPi people from Stretch to Buster does not only affect hardware compatibility with RPi 4 but all our users. Most probably the best way to fix this would be to ship with the APT pinning adoptions via an OMV Extras update. Once APT pinning is adjusted my OMV image can be updated and will then work flawlessly on any RPi 4 as well.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Most probably the best way to fix this would be to ship with the APT pinning adoptions via an OMV Extras update. Once APT pinning is adjusted my OMV image can be updated and will then work flawlessly on any RPi 4 as well.

Super exciting... I barely want to do anything with OMV 5.x stuff let alone more hacks specifically for the RPi. And since I don't have an RPi4, someone else will have to submit the PR to add this.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!