Theme switcher

• Offizieller Beitrag

It is a new theme. There is a way to switch to the old theme - read

Since OMV is largely about configuration and options presentation in the GUI, isn't it time to consider putting a "theme switcher" in the GUI? With something like that, even user theme submissions could be added (to/var/www/openmediavault/css) and selected, while keeping stock themes in place.

Just a thought

• Offizieller Beitrag

Since OMV is largely about configuration and options presentation in the GUI, isn't it time to consider putting a "theme switcher" in the GUI? With something like that, even user theme submissions could be added (to/var/www/openmediavault/css) and selected, while keeping stock themes in place.
    Just a thought

No, this will not included officially.

• Offizieller Beitrag

To me this is a really nonsense feature. But if there will be a plugin, then i'm fine with that.

I realize that you're the sole developer of OMV, with a lot on your plate.

However - OMV is about the GUI:
    Otherwise, all operations, features, servers, etc., could be installed and operated from the command line. That was the way things were done back in the day, when Linux was in the domain of experts and the diehard novice.

I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) OMV's basic design purpose was/is to remove the difficulty of the CLI from the day to day operation of a NAS, and provide an easy to use GUI with which a NAS server could be configured. By extension, people who are less skilled in computing and/or Linux can use OMV. Regardless of design purpose or intent, without doubt, OMV is using a "visual" approach.

Along similar lines, you decided to upgrade the look of OMV (I believe it was somewhere around ver 3.0.71) stating something to the effect that, "the theme has a newer, more modern look". So, by your own admission, "appearances" seem to be important.

However, when the new theme was published:
    The bottom area of some configuration dialog boxes was partially or fully cut off. As a consequence, where small dialog boxes are used (cron jobs), it was not possible to add comments. In other cases, it was difficult to add extra parameters. Correcting that situation was not "nonsense" and a theme switcher could have done it with a "click".
    (I just checked: In OMV 3.0.83, the problem with cutting off the bottom of create dialog boxes still exists in "scheduled jobs" and "power management jobs". There may be others.) This a very practical problem that still requires editing of a config file, on the command line, to switch to a more usable theme.

Going a bit further with that, everyone has their own idea of how something should look. Personally, I like getting as much on screen as possible, with minimum scrolling, which means fairly small dark text. Others, with vision impairment, might want LARGE print, and high color contrast. Still others may prefer a customizable background color or even a picture. No one is right or wrong in any of these approaches, but it stands to reason that something that is both objective and subjective should be configurable and customizable, without having to resort to the command line. (I.E. a NOOB should be able to do it.)

Lastly, other than providing an "out of the box" stock theme or two, this is an area where more advanced forum users can contribute to the overall effort and provide some variety. If we all agree that appearances are important, perhaps being able to customize the OMV Web interface may draw in more OMV users. Certainly, there's nothing wrong with that.

(OMV's popularity is climbing on Distrowatch.)

Regards.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I already told that it is not possible to create themes for ExtJS without buying ExtJS Pro. OMV already contains all necessary code to customize it via small CSS changes and an environment variable to switch between the ExtJS shipped themes.
    If there will be a plugin for that, then i'm fine, but the core system will not support theming. That is my last word about this issue.

• If there will be a plugin for that, then i'm fine,

There is already some kind of "theme switcher" available: GUI-Theme Switcher (see another Thread "[CSS] Black OMV GUI v5"]

This should be sufficient enough if someone wants more comfort to change between themes without modifying files.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Offizieller Beitrag

I already told that it is not possible to create themes for ExtJS without buying ExtJS Pro. /---------------/
    That is my last word about this issue.

Again, in the stock theme, the bottom area of some configuration dialog boxes is partially or fully cut off. When small dialog boxes are used (when adding a "scheduled job" and a "power management job") it is not possible to add comments. In other cases, it is difficult to add extra parameters. This a very practical problem, in the base product, that still needs to be corrected.

Again, I verified that In OMV 3.0.83, the problem with cutting off the bottom of create dialog boxes still exists in "scheduled jobs" and "power management jobs". There may be other, similar, dialog box problems.

Do you want me to file a formal bug report?

• To me this is a really nonsense feature. But if there will be a plugin, then i'm fine with that.

People's tastes vary. I started working on one but I lost it when I accidentally deleted a vm. If you find a theme really irritating it is not hard to adjust.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!