Access denied to all shares except one

• Last night I installed media plex server using the plugins and thought nothing about it today. As I tried to access my shares I keep getting access denied. I made no access right changes other than test the usb stick earlier but made no changes since that was a hardware issue. I also noticed that my nas won't show up when I hit the network icon. So I figured I leave the rights alone and un-install the plex server. I got an error, and the name under the services was still there. I went ahead and rebooted and it's now gone. I also got the nas back under the network which is cool, but I still can't access my shares. There were a few files under updates today, but I noticed I couldn't access my shares right before I installed them. Any ideas on what may be causing this? I know it's usually rights access but I haven't changed them myself. I'm attaching the error after I un-installed plex. I have rebooted the nas a couple of times along with my computer, router and modem just because I like to do that every now and then. You can also now find the nas under network.

• FTP I can access, data I can't. I think I also added myself in the second screenshot to try and get back into it. Anyway, I wasn't messing around with these last night either. I just noticed that I couldn't access anything this evening.

The other thing I did do was make a system backup with the plugin but I had this installed for a while now. I can get to all the shares once I put the ip address in the file explorer and log in, but then I can't access any of them except for the ftp.

• FTP I can access, data I can't. I think I also added myself in the second screenshot to try and get back into it. Anyway, I wasn't messing around with these last night either. I just noticed that I couldn't access anything this evening.

The other thing I did do was make a system backup with the plugin but I had this installed for a while now. I can get to all the shares once I put the ip address in the file explorer and log in, but then I can't access any of them except for the ftp.

Try going to each of your share folders individually (ftp and data, not every subfolder), clicking the "Recursive" option, and apply, and close the window after it's complete.

• I just tried that on two other shares and not the ftp since that one still works. Nothing, still access is denied. I even changed the password just to make sure, but again, still no change.

• I've been playing with this a bit more and thought that maybe the nikon program did something weird to my desktop so I thought I try to log in to the nas from the laptop. Unfortunately I got the same thing, no access. So I went ahead and created a new user and just left it at that. I gave it access to all the shares and sure enough it works. But I can't figure out why the other accounts don't because they still have the same rights to the shares. In short, something seems to have screwed those up. I won't mess with them at the moment since I got a new account working, but any input on that is greatly appreciated if anyone has any idea how to fix that. I'm just scratching my head because I really don't have any idea about what happened there since I wasn't changing those to make them not work.

I have one suggestion, can we get a bit more information as to what a button does. Here's a good example, I have "reset" but I'm not sure what that means. So a little description in the same windows the buttons are I think would be helpful. I don't want to press it as I don't know how or what that is going to change.

• Geaves, no I just went ahead and created the new test user just to check. I didn't want to mess with those anymore just to make sure I don't make it worst. Although I did changed it to read only I think it was but still didn't do anything. I figured I can remake the accounts, but this wouldn't be a good thing if you have a lot of users and this happens.

Well I did delete one user/group called homeftp since I wanted to rename that and just make a new one. I'm pretty sure that shouldn't change all the rights to the other users though. I'm just trying to think back at anything I may have touched, but I know I wasn't changing the user rights on the others. I'm just trying to think very hard to see if I did that in any way, other than un-installing plex since I did test that too.

Okay I think I'm going to take a break tonight as I'm getting tired.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Geaves, no I just went ahead and created the new test user just to check. I didn't want to mess with those anymore just to make sure I don't make it worst. Although I did changed it to read only I think it was but still didn't do anything. I figured I can remake the accounts, but this wouldn't be a good thing if you have a lot of users and this happens.

I'm guessing your using W10.....this has been problematic within the forum (I for one have had problems) and there are various solutions.....what I'm suggesting is to create a single share and call it test....what I then did was to set the acl to samashare and allowed guest access by doing this you can find out if the folder is accessible across the network.
    Anything I have for Emby is setup as guest access, with a couple of shares that are only accessible by me and the wife.

• I see what you mean and yes I'm using windows 10. So far I can basically do the same check with the new user since I'm on the wireless network. I am able to access all the shares again once I made it. So far mine has been very stable but I keep testing things that I have not used before, like the plex which I don't care much for, but since it was there I figured I check it out. Oh and I'm the only one who uses the nas here so I can mess with it a bit longer.

• I have one suggestion, can we get a bit more information as to what a button does. Here's a good example, I have "reset" but I'm not sure what that means. So a little description in the same windows the buttons are I think would be helpful. I don't want to press it as I don't know how or what that is going to change.

I agree that some buttons are a bit vague, but generally I've found that a "reset" button like that just resets any changes you've made to the visible fields. For example, if you started editing that shared folder and changed your mind, you'd click "reset" to set the fields back to how they were when you first opened the form. It's basically like hitting cancel but without closing the window.

On another note, I'm a bit nervous that Win10 has been giving permissions errors, because I tend to manage my shared through a Win10 PC via Samba. Fingers crossed...

• Okay that makes sense. I just like to make sure I'm going through all the steps correctly and not just hitting and clicking on things to see what they do. As for windows 10, you should be fine it it's been working. It's usually when things are added or changed that this sort of thing happens, specially if it hasn't been tested. This is why I have been thinking very hard about what may have caused it, but I honestly can't think of what that was. I guess I can always redo the accounts but I think I'll wait for an update or two to see if that helps. I would blame windows but I hardly use my laptop and since I got the same thing there I know it's not that. But like I said before everything has been very stable so far. I think I need to stop adding things I don't need and just leave it alone. :) Once It gets sorted out. I forgot to mention, I also don't really like these media programs since they usually go out into the net to get their info and well I like to keep my stuff lean and working. They are nice, but I hardly watch tv anyway.

• Okay, after taking a nice break I think I have solved this issue and of course I feel pretty dumb, but here it goes. I have one test account on the ftp group which I have also denied access to all other shared folders as you can see in the screenshot. I then added the second account to the ftp group which basically locked me out of all the shares with that account, except ftp which now makes sense. Now my question is, can I leave the "no access" settings unchecked and will that still prevent access to the other shares even though I have not checked anything? I just want to make sure I'm using this correctly and also understand what's happening a little better. So although I don't want any ftp users to access anything else, I don't want to lock myself out like this again but I was just thinking about the only thing I did change which was the ftp account I deleted to make a new one with the shorter name. Now I remember why I made a movies and music account or any other account for that matter. As you can see I guess I was trying to use one account for everything, but it doesn't work quite like this and I just have to try to remember that.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm still trying to get my head around what you're trying to achieve.....but my understanding and the way I've always done it;

Create user
    Create share
    Add user to access that share

You do not have to deny anyone else because no one else will have access.

I have shares on my home network, they are assigned to me I have to input my user name and password to access it, if someone else tries and they use their user name and password it will barf. This is not the case for guest/public access, which is why I suggested creating a share and making accessible to guest/public using the sambashare user, purely for testing, then delete it.

Look at it this way you're not going to play with my toys unless I give you the key to the cupboard :)

• Hi geaves. Well you hit this right on the nail. That's how I have it too and how the shares are supposed to work, but what was a bit confusing for me are those check boxes which is basically what you said about not having to deny anyone else anything. So when I created the ftp I wanted to make sure no one could see any other shares in case someone ever got my account details when outside, assuming I ever use it. And for whatever reason I went ahead and checked the no access for everything else automatically. This is where I wasn't sure if I needed to do that or not. I wasn't sure if I didn't that it would still keep anyone else using that account from the other shares. So that's why I also ended up using a different account for the ftp and since I had checked the no access for all the other shares, when I added my main account to it, the system basically looks at the no access part first and just applies those. I was getting confused because that first account had access to all the other shares already but got denied when I added it to the ftp group. I hope this makes sense now. But I also like to keep things simple and will undo my checked boxes and test the account that way so that I don't have to worry about this sort of thing again. I need to stop over thinking the share rights specially now that my nas is working so well.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!