Login on client fails

• I just started with OMV and ended up a short distance from the end of the tunnel (yes I can see some light).

HW: Raspberry 2 Setup, Power Supply etc. all perfect.
    SW: OMV 3.0.87

Problem:
    I went through the installation as plannned. I can see my NAS storage device (USB-Stick) on all computers in my LAN.

When I try to open it I get a login window. But I can not login from any of my systems (Win10, Linux, iOS).

Login behaves as if the user does not exist or the PW is wrong - the login window just pops up again.

Here is what I tried:

Reboot
    Set up another user simple PW w/o chances to intermix German and English KB
    Set user access to r/w
    apt clean + verified that memory is not full
    Cleared browser cache (btw. Firefox under Linux does not work for me: White screen after admin login. Chrome is fine

Can somebody tell me how to proceed. I do not know which log files might help or other strategies to get things running.

• And here is another weird thing:

Using shell-in-a-box I can not login as admin + PW but I can login as admin + PW when opening the GUI.

PW is not anymore the default one.

For the time being I log in as root + default PW

• Are you sure you're not using the root password you created during installation as the web GUI password? The two are different. If you can log in and run omv-firstaid, one of the options (3, I think) allows you to change the web GUI password. Also the username to log in to the web GUI is admin, not root or one of your users.

• @ wolf2000
    Natürlich geht das auch in Deutsch - ich beantworte aber erst mal die beiden anderen

@drinks2go
    As far as I understood I did these steps administered and named my nas device. So far there are no particular directories for users.
    Only smb is turned on others should come later. I see my nas device with correct name in the LAN.

@flvinny521
    Roots PW is unchanged "openmediavault" and working
    admins PW has been changed and is working in the GUI login window
    admins PWs the changed version as well as the default does not work to log in when using shell-in-a-box but I have not tried ssh so far.
    Do I understand this correct? GUI admin and CLI admin are different???

• @Wolf2000

So das ganze noch mal auf Deutsch.
    Die Installation hat meines Erachtens korrekt funktioniert. Natürlich gibts da immer auch verdeckte Möglichkeiten etwas zu überspringen.
    Ich habe explizit meinen USB-Stick als Nas-LW angemeldet und sehe dieses wenn ich (z.B. unter Linux ) mit smb://192.168.xxx.xxx aufrufe.
    Für den NAS-Betrieb habe ich zusätzlich einen User+PW angelegt den ich in verschieden Gruppen eingetragen hatte.
    Nachdem nichts lief, habe ich ihn aber jetzt nur in users. Natürlich hat der user R/W Previlegien auf das LW
    Wenn ich das NAS-LW aufclicken will, kommt ein Loginfenster indem ich diesen user+PW eingebe..
    Dann kommt die Sanduhr und gleich wieder das Loginfenster.

Die zweite Merkwürdigkeit: Ich logge mich in das GUI mit admin+geändertem PW ein - das klappt. Statt ssh benutze ich Shell In A Box.
    In dieser shell kann ich mich nicht als admin einloggen (beide PW-Versionen) aber als root mit default PW..

Jetzt habe ich ein paar Fragen:

Ist Shell In A Box ein handlicher Zugang zu ssh oder etwas Eigenständiges?
    Bei der Konfiguration habe ich gesehen, dass als shell "dash" voreingestellt ist. Als Linuxer kenne ich eigentlich nur "bash". Was verbirgt sich dahinter?
    Gibt es eine Auflistung und Beschreibung der omv-commands?

• @flvinny521

Roots PW is unchanged "openmediavault" and working
    admins PW has been changed and is working in the GUI login window
    admins PWs the changed version as well as the default does not work to log in when using shell-in-a-box but I have not tried ssh so far.
    Do I understand this correct? GUI admin and CLI admin are different???

I'm sorry, I misunderstood your first post. I thought it was the GUI login that was broken. In fact, it's your shares that can't be seen, right?

Did you give a user access to your shared folders after they were created? Maybe some screenshots of the shared folder, user access and samba configuration would help.

• You got it. The GUI works fine, I can log in as admin +new PW and arrange settings etc.

In fact, it's your shares that can't be seen, right?

Almost right; I can see the (so far empty) drive but can not successfully send any credentials.When I click the drive the login window pops up I enter user+PW RET the running symbol (hour glass) is up for a few seconds and the login window comes back again.

Now here are some new findings: Shell-In-A-BOX and a standard ssh login (coming from a Linux PC) behave exactly the same. That is, I can ssh only as root. As root I used the standard Linux procedure on the CLI to modify the PW of "user". There were no errors running the command, all as expected. But no success either. "User" can not login into a standard ssh window.

• I will try to describe the steps for you, just in case;

You must make users. (I believe you have done this)

You must make shared folders within the GUI. (?)

You must add those shared folders to each service you wish to enable (ftp, smb/cifs-> which is what I think you mean by "click the drive", nfs, etc).

You must ensure your users have permissions to read or read/write to the shared folders.

I just want to ensure you haven't missed any of these steps! Sounds like smb/cifs is running though, so your login credentials should be valid!

• Has "User" been added to the SSH group?

Ooops, definitely not. I was in ssh as root and did not think about it when I switched the user.

@drinks2go
    I think I did all that but I will once again follow your checklist to make sure. There is always a chance not to save settings....

I'll be back tomorrow with the results.

• I'm giving up.

ssh works now with "user + PW" only to throw up new issues with permissions which should be not too hard to solve.
    But they should not be there at all....

The most annoying part is, that I verified the checklist and did not find anything wrong.

My strategy is to burn another SD card and start from scratch

Thank you guys for helping...

• I am back and the problems still exist.

I downloaded the latest and greatest .img, burned it on a new SD card and installed it following a step by step guide:
    https://www.heise.de/download/…aVault-einrichten-3468200

All worked fine, I can see the shares on Win10, iPad and Linux machines but I can NOT login as a user.
    I have found several posts about similar problems, however did not find any solution working for me.

To rule out bad hardware: This was my test system and all kinds of applications ran on it w/o any problems.

I definitely could need some help to troubleshoot this....

• What permission do you set up on the shares?

Is your problem still with permissions? Or you cannot login?

Sounds like you are not giving user and group access through the web interface maybe? I had ran into that issue in the past. I attached a picture, I apologize it is not in German!

Also are you having issues with files on the drive from past installations? Could be your permissions are no good. From command line on OMV, chown root:users /path/to/share should give permissions to any OMV users you create, assuming you have simple ACL/default permissions set up. All users created through webui should exist in 'users' group....

Your mounted drives will be located in /srv directory, if you are not familiar with linux command line the basic directory commands are:

ls /path/to/directory - give simple file listing of directory
    ls -la /path/to/directory - give relevant information about directory with permissions and ownership infos
    cd /path/to/directory - make target directory the current working directory (then you can reference files directly "file1.jpg" instead of "/path/to/directory/file1.jpg"
    chmod 755 /path/to/directory - this is most appropriate in my mind for directory permissions,
    chmod 644 /path/to/directory/file1.jpg - this is most appropriate in my mind for file permissions
    chmod 644 -R /path/to/directory - this applies 644 permissions recursively, eg, to the directory itself and all files/directories contained within that directory
    chown root:users /path/to/directory - this gives user ownership to root users and group ownership to users in group named 'users' to the given directory

Further reading about chmod

• Thank you for coming back.

This matter was becoming urgent here, we need the NAS. So I decided to use another approach for ruling out possible causes.

I got the latest Rasbian (btw. I love it - a wonderful piece of software) and installed Samba on it. Then I did several hours of reading
    the Samba documentation and finally I set up a Samba share in my LAN. No problems the results were perfect. The share came up on all
    machines/all OS, runs stable and accepts files of 8G (the biggest I tested). So hardware seems to be out of the equation.

To answer your latest suggestions:
    The English screen shot is no problem. Using Linux for years I am well aware of permissions and turned everything I could find to 777 via
    CLI (disregarding security). I even changed the owner to make sure.

It is really the login to the share (user/pw) that fails and fast enough to make me think the account does not even exist. I followed the
    guide Heise published and, with all the screenshots they took, they really tried that out. So i am confident I had the user set up correct
    and gave permissions.

So, what remains:

- changes in omv from 3.0.5 (heise used) to 3.0.8 (the one I installed) maybe within the default smb.conf ?
    - remains of the last installation? new SD card / new download / different settings for all user/pw and names
    - The USB-stick (SanDisk Extreme 32G) may be a bit touchy but works with my bare metal Samba

I give that problem a ????? rating.

For the time being I shall use my running solution. It is stable, fairly fast and I can arrange tight security.
    OMV is a mistery to me, documentation is in parts a matter of luck (as many good open SW products)
    Nevertheless I intend to dig into this problem later this year and with a new Rev. of OMV.

Good bye and thanks for helping

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!