Best protocol to share pictures over the network

• Hello forum!

I must admit that regarding networking I know as much as a pig knows of physics, therefore I turn to you with a simple question. As a little background, I've been using OpenVPN to access my home network and tunnel my smartphone network traffic thru my house when not at home. I've successfully used it during my vacations and it worked perfectly to both protect my network traffic and to gain access to all my stuff on my server from wherever I am.

After the vacations I returned with a ton of pictures and my grandma (who lives in the other side of the world) would love to see them. I have no interest in uploading 5 Gb of pictures to Google, Facebook, etc. for my grandma to have access to it. Therefore, since the experiment with OpenVPN was successful I thought about a similar solution to grant her with read-only access to the folder where the pictures are. I thought about different options and was looking for pros and cons and would like to know your recommendation:

1. OpenVPN would be the most straightforward solution, but configuring a VPN is out of the question for my 86-year-old grandma :D

2. FTP: It seems to me that it is the simplest solution, but AFAIK it is not that safe. I would create a user with restricted read-rights to the folder where the pictures are. That way she can see the pictures via web browser.

3. You tell me.

Thanks in advance for the help :thumbup:

Custom mini-ITX build
    Coolcube Mini, Intel Desktop Board DQ77KB, Intel Core i3-3220, 8 GB DDR3 Ram, 64 GB Trascend mSata SSD (OS), X4 TB HDD (data, partially pooled + parity)

Dell Optiplex 960 sff (deprecated) - link

Dell Optiplex FX160 (repurposed) - link

"If you can't find it in Google, it simply doesn't exist!" - The Internetz

• I use webdav pluging to share my photos with my brother, only need to install WebDAv pluging, share the folder that contain desired photos and share the apropiate URL to your father

of course a user/password is needed (create a new user/password for your father and apply apropiate permission to your share folder so the new user can access it).

• I completely forgot about WebDAV! That would certainly do the trick. I assume that an open port in my router is necessary.

Sent from my Robin using Tapatalk

Custom mini-ITX build
    Coolcube Mini, Intel Desktop Board DQ77KB, Intel Core i3-3220, 8 GB DDR3 Ram, 64 GB Trascend mSata SSD (OS), X4 TB HDD (data, partially pooled + parity)

• Fair enough. I already have something similar for the VPN. I'll give it a try and report back.

Custom mini-ITX build

• NO , you only need something like https://myDDNS.DDNS.org/webdav to acess your shared folder

The sharing with WebDAV works, however in order to see a picture I have to download it to the computer in order to see it. I thought that it could see the pictures directly in the web browser.

Custom mini-ITX build

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!