Which energy efficient ARM platform to choose?

• Offizieller Beitrag

And I can confirm that OMV 5 works perfectly fine on a 8GB RPi4.

I just moved the card and everything else from my old 4GB RPi4 to the new 8GB RPi4, also in a FLIRC case. And it just works, as it should do.

I don't expect to see any great benefits apart from a little better disk performance, especially when dealing with many small files, due to the significantly bigger disk caches.

• Offizieller Beitrag

And I can confirm that OMV 5 works perfectly fine on a 8GB RPi4.

The beta of Raspberry Pi OS arm64 seems to be working ok too.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

The ideal power to performance ratio is zero to infinity. That is, zero power consumption and infinite performance. In practice, this ideal ratio is rarely seen....

Typically power consumption is roughly proportional to performance. But it seems ARM devices in general have a better power/performance ratio than x86 devices. But x86 devices may have a higher top performance per processor. So if you can find an ARM device with sufficient performance, it is likely to provide a better power/performance ratio than a x86 device.

And then cost of purchase comes in as well.

Apple seems to be going over to ARM. Presumably in order to improve the power/performance ratio. Or at least the profit.

Also I think it is more common to talk about the performance/power ratio. Not the other way around. Kilometers per liter petrol. Flops/W.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Performance_per_watt

• Offizieller Beitrag

Apple seems to be going over to ARM. Presumably in order to improve the power/performance ratio. Or at least the profit.

That's somewhat startling news, but it makes sense. ARM CPU's are running Linux distro's, with Desktops, without issues.

Everyone will benefit from this move, as ARM CPU's compete more directly in the PC market.

• the lowest consumption for your use case is the baseline... try to get lower and you have the best performance to power ratio.

in my case I only need a tiny NAS with a lot of space but super low consumption... maybe we can define some KPI´s to get better understanding for the different use cases.

• it has been awhile since I visit OMV, looking to build another nas just for photos & documents backup, so is Raspi4 is now a legit candidate for omv? and if my need only for photos and documents backup, will the 2GB model sufficient? or 4GB?

also tempted by odroid HC2, seems a better option with built in direct sata support.

• Offizieller Beitrag

A HC2 is still a great basis for a home NAS over GbE. Extremely stable and performant. But: Can only handle a single SATA drive and has only one USB2 port. Also ARM32, not ARM64. So it is a bit old now.

The HC2 is a nice self-contained package.

A RPi4 has finicky USBS3. You may find that some USB3 enclosures work fine, some don't. Also using USB to connect drives means less stability and in some cases even power problems and reboots. But the RPi4 is ARM64. 2GB would be fine for OMV, but 4GB better and the price difference is small...

You may need to buy a case for the RPi4 and also use powered external drives. Messier.

I have a RPi4 connected to a powered 4 bay USB3 enclosure with 4x16TB drives. And it is rock steady as long as I don't try to connect anything else. If I try to connect some other USB device, like a thumb drive or a un-powered SSD, the RPi4 crash after a few minutes, presumably because of power problems.

If you just are after long term basic NAS functionality and stability, and ARM32 is OK, go with a HC2. If you need USB3 and ARM64, and don't mind extra cables, go with RPi4.

Both provide very good basic NAS functionality for a home GbE network.

• thank you adoby. I think I'll go with long term stability, plus the built in enclosure is great bonus. ordering my HC2 now. as for hdd? I use WD red previously, but now there's seagate ironwolf and HGST. any thoughts? I think 4TB will be enough for my need

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have very good experience with 8 & 12 TB Ironwolf HDDs and 16TB Seagate Exos in HC2s. Just works. But most likely any good 3.5" SATA drives will work fine.

Please note that using the physical disk properties in OMV will cause problems with some drives. Especially newer models. The reason for this seem to be that the drives are not fully compatible with hdparm, that OMV use to change drive settings. As long as you don't touch the physical drive settings in OMV you should be fine. The drive defaults are OK.

The problems manifest as the drive not mounting and/or unmounting. And corrupt drive settings.

Also note that you set HD spindown by flashing the sata/USB bridge firmware. Not in the OMV settings.

• I have no intention to change any drive settings or spindown. I'll just use the hdd as is, and for 24/7 use, the NAS will be in my bedroom anyway, should be fine right?

• I've setup OMV 5 using a Rock PI 4B with 4 gig ram.

I have Penta SATA hat in the Radxa case Currently with a 2TB SSD soon to add 1 to 2 more. The Rockpi allows PCI vs USB connectivity to the disks.

I am using as a file server on my home network as well as a server for my music collection of about 3000 albums encoded to flac files-.

Currently I have Plex server installed and this is working fine as a media server but am not sure I will use long term. My old system was Slimserver and still evaluating alternatives for

Performance has been very good with around 80Mb/s file transfer rate which is just about maxing out the 1Gb Ethernet connection.

The CPU is not being taxed even with transfer rate through the Ethernet connection maxed out.

• The new RPi4 Compute Module (CM4) together with an IO-Board having a PCIe connector seems to be a game changer.

Great reviews and news can be found here

Of particular interest are the benchmark results for SATA cards linked via github issues in 'notes' column (though a bit hard to find in the detailed issue comments like this.

In Jeff Geerling's github repo he collects interesting projects like a complete NAS  build

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von mi-hol ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

The new RPi4 Compute Module (CM4) together with an IO-Board having a PCIe connector seems to be a game changer.

The rockpro64 has been available for a while with a pcie connector (much faster since it is a 4x slot).

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• The rockpro64 has been available for a while with a pcie connector (much faster since it is a 4x slot).

True, but does the PINE64 community have the potential to be a "game changer" according to this definition?

Was actually anybody able to get its hand on a rockpro64 in Germany or Europe via a commercial shop (not the PINE64 shop!)?

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von mi-hol ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

True, but does the PINE64 community have the potential to be a "game changer" according to

While I like the RPi4 (i have three), this is fanboi talk. The rock64 was a "game changer" when it was released and still very good (it will saturate the gigabit link just as easily as the RPi4). In my opinion, the nanopim4 with sata hat is better than an RPi even with pcie slot. Much cleaner and smaller setup and faster (pcie x2 connection to sata bus).

The rockpro64 isn't quite a popular because of cost but the cm4 and breakout board cost about the same.

And why does it have to be the pine64 community? The board is supported by Armbian. What else do you need?

Was actually anybody able to get its hand on a rockpro64 in Germany or Europe via a commercial shop (not the PINE64 shop!)?

I forgot that if it isn't in a shop in europe, the board is a no-go... Sorry, I don't live in Europe and the board is very easily attainable from Ameridroid for me. Is the CM4 easily attainable in a shop? I still can't get a CM4 (canakit has them shipping in March 2021).

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!