Asrock j3455-itx PCI Card msata Suggestion needed

• output from lspci

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor N4200/N3350/E3900 Series Host Bridge (rev 0b)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Device 5a85 (rev 0b)
    00:0f.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor N4200/N3350/E3900 Series Trusted Execution Engine (rev 0b)
    00:12.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor N4200/N3350/E3900 Series SATA AHCI Controller (rev 0b)
    00:13.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor N4200/N3350/E3900 Series PCI Express Port A #1 (rev fb)
    00:13.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor N4200/N3350/E3900 Series PCI Express Port A #2 (rev fb)
    00:13.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor N4200/N3350/E3900 Series PCI Express Port A #3 (rev fb)
    00:13.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor N4200/N3350/E3900 Series PCI Express Port A #4 (rev fb)
    00:15.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor N4200/N3350/E3900 Series USB xHCI (rev 0b)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor N4200/N3350/E3900 Series Low Pin Count Interface (rev 0b)
    00:1f.1 SMBus: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor N4200/N3350/E3900 Series SMBus Controller (rev 0b)
    01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 11)
    03:00.0 SATA controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1062 Serial ATA Controller (rev 02)
    04:00.0 SATA controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1062 Serial ATA Controller (rev 01)

there are 3 sata controllers

- from the cpu: 00:12.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor N4200/N3350/E3900 Series SATA AHCI Controller (rev 0b)
    - from the mainboard: 03:00.0 SATA controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1062 Serial ATA Controller (rev 02)

- from the pcie-card: 04:00.0 SATA controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1062 Serial ATA Controller (rev 01)

I don't no exactly which of the last is from the mainboard and which is the external.

the ssd on the pcie-card works very well

• - from the mainboard: 03:00.0 SATA controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1062 Serial ATA Controller (rev 02)

- from the pcie-card: 04:00.0 SATA controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1062 Serial ATA Controller (rev 01)

I don't no exactly which of the last is from the mainboard and which is the external.

It's an ASM1061 in the PCIe slot (sharing the driver with ASM1062 which would be a better choice with an SSD since slightly faster due to 2 PCIe lanes vs. 1)

• Another option is to use a DOM SSD card... or a mPCIe 2.0 SSD Card - but they are a little more expensive.
    the only maker i know of for the mPCIe 2.0 card are Apacer Memory e.g. APP032G2DA-ATM = 32GB mPCIe 2.0

looking at my nas system drive. I need to recover the SATA6 for a 4th drive, so i am going to use a 32GB USB DOM on an E350M1 motherboard.

• :) sorry for the confusion.

I was picking up on the thread creator and the 3rd comment by virta re the mPCIE Key E interface.
    You can't use an SSD in that interface, because you need mPCIE 3.0 or 4.0 i.e. M2 with a B key

I assume the creator is trying to save all his SATA ports like me for drives, which leaves a few options depending on the mb being used.
    IDE DOM SSD
    USB DOM SSD
    M2 mPCIe if board has it
    USB stick

I prefer the either of the first two options, rather than an external boot stick. (on basis the mb doesn't have an M2 port)

of course i say above on the basis of a nas housing. if a standard pc case is being used, then you have the options of a PCIe slot.
    But i would only do on 2.0

• hello, I'm looking for my msata system ssd a tested PCI Card for the only ohne PCI Slot in the Mainboard.

I double checked that motherboard for you, and it is tricky (as i don't have a USB DOM in front of me, it depends on the orientation)
    - you've either got your DIMM in the way or you lose access to the internal USB3 header. which may not be a problem because you can still access the USB3 ports on the back. But if you are using a NAS housing with USB on the front panel, you wont be able to use it.

* but you need to double check the orientation of the SSD header to be sure it will fit in the direction over the USB3 header and not the dImm *

have a look at KingSpec UDV-XXX series if you want to try.
    If you haven't purchased the motherboard yet, you might want to try the Asrock J3160DC-ITX

You wont have to worry about the RAM then, but may still loose access to the internal USB3 depending on the orientation of the DOM.

• I was picking up on the thread creator and the 3rd comment by virta re the mPCIE Key E interface.
    You can't use an SSD in that interface, because you need mPCIE 3.0 or 4.0 i.e. M2 with a B key

That's all just weird and funny. :)

• The thread creator has a MoBo with one free real PCIe slot and asked for something to cramp in there allowing him to use his mSATA SSD.
    • Next post someone claimed his 'pci-mstata' card wouldn't work (pci-msata does not exist, it's either mPCIe or mSATA).
    • Then someone claims having the same mainboard and that's not a PCIe interface but M.2 E key (can provide USB2 and/or PCIe x2)
    • Then the thread creator reports that he found what he searched for (an ASM1061 thingie for the PCIe slot providing one mSATA and one SATA port)
    • Then the next one claimes 'linux is not compatible or you need special drivers for it' while I understood the card would work as expected

And so on...

Your proposed mPCIe card would fit nowhere BTW (at least not behind the ASM1061 SATA adapter, only a PCIe to mPCIe adapter would help -- but the OP had already a mSATA SSD) and your comments wrt M.2 are also not correct (E key can be used together with NVMe or AHCI PCIe SSDs, M.2 has nothing to do with 'mPCIE' but of course it's somewhat complicated to get what you can insert into a specific M.2 slot based on the keying and what's really present on the pins).

Quite surprising to get so much confusion in such a small thread :)

And besides that: I would use a simple 32GB USB thumb drive that passed either F3 or H2testw test (mandatory!), enable flashmemory plugin --> done.

• hello, I'm looking for my msata system ssd a tested PCI Card for the only ohne PCI Slot in the Mainboard.

I double checked that motherboard for you, and it is tricky (as i don't have a USB DOM in front of me, it depends on the orientation)
    - you've either got your DIMM in the way or you lose access to the internal USB3 header. which may not be a problem because you can still access the USB3 ports on the back. But if you are using a NAS housing with USB on the front panel, you wont be able to use it.

* but you need to double check the orientation of the SSD header to be sure it will fit in the direction over the USB3 header and not the dImm *

have a look at KingSpec UDV-XXX series if you want to try.
    If you haven't purchased the motherboard yet, you might want to try the Asrock J3160DC-ITX

You wont have to worry about the RAM then, but may still loose access to the internal USB3 depending on the orientation of the DOM.

• PCIe (half or full) or either PCIE 1.0 or 2.0 hence why the only supports E Keys
    You use an SSD you need PCIE 3 or 4 (B key) i.e. M2

Hmm... I still don't understand but doesn't matter since IMO the thread is long solved :)

There's a PCIe slot, now with an ASM1061 card inside, mSATA SSD attached, problem solved (though I consider using SSDs for OMV system drive wasting storage. But as usual YMMV)

Of course external USB key works

I wasn't aware that today mainboards exist that do not feature at least one dual USB2 pin header. When there are no real type A receptacles on mainboards we use something like this to have the boot pendrive inside the enclosure.

• Hmm... I still don't understand but doesn't matter since IMO the thread is long solved :)

There's a PCIe slot, now with an ASM1061 card inside, mSATA SSD attached, problem solved (though I consider using SSDs for OMV system drive wasting storage. But as usual YMMV)

I wasn't aware that today mainboards exist that do not feature at least one dual USB2 pin header. When there are no real type A receptacles on mainboards we use something like this to have the boot pendrive inside the enclosure.

I am using both these internal options and i think they are the best way to go for mITX NAS cases

mPCIe 2.0 compatible (doesn't help with the specific mb mentioned)
    https://www.digikey.com/produc…-ATM/1582-1251-ND/5452132

Disk On Module
    http://www.kingspec.com/products_detail/productId=37.html

you can get both in 32GB which is more than enough for OMV. with the DOM module, you can also get for IDE which is great for re-using older motherboards with both IDE and SATA

• 32GB which is more than enough for OMV

Hmm... 4GB should already be sufficient without Plex, we recently defined 8 GB as a reasonable minimum. That's why I choose at least 32GB media: for the simple reason that the flash media will wear out 4 times later (n times the size than needed --> n times later worn out).

Anyway: I would never buy KingSpec (again), especially not from Chinese shops or as a more general rule: I buy flash media only from those vendors that have their own NAND flash production, do own controllers and assemble their stuff to own retail products (so focusing more or less on Samsung, SanDisk, Toshiba and Transcend and buying only through channels with a 'no questions asked' return/refund policy since I hate dealing with fake flash).Quality USB thumb drive bought locally or from 'friendly' online seller to be combined in case it's needed with cheap adapter from China.

(BTW: another personal strategy: for this use case I choose only USB3 products to be combined with USB2 receptacles since I consider USB3-A receptacles an inreliable mess)

• i use plex and openkm plus, will add zoneminder shortly, that's why i am using 32GB.
    you can certainly get 16GB and 8GB in those configurations for around the same price as a usb stick, if not cheaper for the DOMs that is.
    For the PCIE 2.0 SSD it is about 3x the price of the DOMs.

but as i say, I only shared the info in case it could help someone with a similar problem,
    there are still plenty of mbs out there with IDE, USB2.0 and 2x or 4x SATA which, given many nas cases are 2 or 4 slots, leave the person with the above challenge.

i personally use E350M1 in a UNAS-4 case.
    Beautiful if you are doing directplay or directstream. not so great with hd and transcoding.

• tkaiser:

thank you for fighting in my opened tread "Quite surprising to get so much confusion in such a small thread "
    i'm fully with you, with all your comments

you wrote: "though I consider using SSDs for OMV system drive wasting storage"

I want use this SSD also for huge experimenting with docker, using the HW NAS as a development station (svn, git, dokuwiki, docker in docker)

should I do better this all on my nas harddiscs too, using the storage space there ?

Also I used before an SSD with an USB 3.0 mSata Adapter for having transportable vmware container (with windows 7) with bad
    experience (i think because windows usb power down), sometimes the vmware containers are completly defect.
    That's why I don't trust such solutions with system ssd over usb. may be in linux don't exists such problems.

• should I do better this all on my nas harddiscs too, using the storage space there ?

IMO no. I totally missed that's it not about 'OMV only' here. For all sorts of virtualization/containerization random IO is important and then your SSD will make a huge difference. Forget about USB thumb drives for this too, I tested few months ago with a bunch of 'quality' pendrives (all SanDisk, all showing impressive sequential performance, all sucked horrible at random IO after some time -- no idea why but since I burned my fingers when ejecting those things maybe that's just the usual overheating/throttling effects so many USB3 flash products are plagued with)

That's why I don't trust such solutions with system ssd over usb. may be in linux don't exists such problems

After the bad experiences with normal USB thumb drives as explained above I tried something similar to you (carrying VMs around to be used with my MacBook) and bought this here

I put a very fast Transcend M.2 SSD in and with enclosure around I got a nice heating device. SMART reported +80°C inside with load and then performance dropped drastically (~400 MB/s to below 30 MB/s). Similar problems might exist everywhere, same with underpowering. Now the SSDs has huge heatsinks sticked on and serves somewhere else.

Anyway: for your use case above please forget about my thumb drive recommendation. The SSD is the way to go and even if being somewhat bottlenecked behind the ASM1061 it's way more performant compared to any USB thumb drive.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!