Proxmox Kernel

• Are there any known disadvantages to running the Proxmox kernel?
    Specifically on OMV v5 ?
    I assume all the normal OMV update methods/procedures will continue to work?
    And does that include release updates too - i.e. going to OMV v6 whenever that might be?

Thanks, Antony

[Sorry to bump an old thread]

• Offizieller Beitrag

Are there any known disadvantages to running the Proxmox kernel?

No. Proxmox uses the Debian Buster userland. So, this is what you would be running. Very stable.

Specifically on OMV v5 ?

Nope.

I assume all the normal OMV update methods/procedures will continue to work?

Yes. Pretty sure I wouldn't make it an option on omv-extras if that was not the case.

And does that include release updates too - i.e. going to OMV v6 whenever that might be?

Since we have no idea what OMV 6 will be, this is impossible to say. Most likely it will be fine. Moving to the proxmox kernel is not permanent. You can leave the Debian kernel on your system and just boot from the proxmox kernel.

• Hi,

I'm on OMV5 (Debian 10) and still using the standard kernel for now. I have ZFS up and running and I'm not having issues for the moment.

Maybe I just don't know what I am missing out. :)

Anyway, I now want to have KVM available on this box too, would I need this Proxmox kernel?

Or, should I just follow the Debian 10 instructions for getting KVM up and running?

Any clarification on the benefit of the Proxmox kernel in regards with KVM would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrea

• I have been looking for a way of installing the backports/proxmox kernel in OMV5... and I can't find it anywhere.

I am using OMV5 on a Raspberry pi4, and currently running kernel 4.19.97-v7l+

OMV Extras is installed, and I have Backports, Testing Repo and Extras Repo all enabled... just in case! :D

All I really would like to do is enable ZFS, but it is not installing the kernel module for it, I figured it is because the kernel headers are not installed.

If you need any other details, or if you want me to open this as a separate discussion, let me know.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have been looking for a way of installing the backports/proxmox kernel in OMV5... and I can't find it anywhere.

I am using OMV5 on a Raspberry pi4, and currently running kernel 4.19.97-v7l+

proxmox kernel is amd64 systems only.

All I really would like to do is enable ZFS, but it is not installing the kernel module for it, I figured it is because the kernel headers are not installed.

zfs on an RPi? While you can do it, why?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.11 | compose 7.1.3 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

mostly 'because you can' and also for snapshotting, and de-duplication... (see my other post about opendedupe)

You will NOT be able to use any form of deduplication that I know with an RPi. Every form I know of uses a substantial amount of ram increasing with the amount of storage you have and even 4GB is not enough. If you want snapshotting, use lvm or btrfs.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.11 | compose 7.1.3 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• I did consider looking at LVM... as I wanted to play with creating a caching drive too (once I find that elusive SSD that I know I have laying around here!).

I know BTRFS well... that does have de-duping... this is more for educational purposes... but if you are saying it is bad juju... I may opt with BTRFS... I think that is built-in with OMV5 isn't it?

• Every form I know of uses a substantial amount of ram increasing with the amount of storage you have and even 4GB is not enough

Just for other peoples reference... found this nice article explaining the ZFS recommendations for memory:
    https://superuser.com/question…ysical-deduped-compressed

there is a way of tweaking record sizes... and I was considering, because there are many large files that may be similar, of increasing the record sizes considerably to take this into account for memory requirements.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think that is built-in with OMV5 isn't it?

OMV 4 and 5 have the same btrfs support - if you create it from the command line, you can mount it in the web interfae.

• Offizieller Beitrag

is there any particular de-duping that you recommend that you have used in the past?

I haven't really used deduping at home. I did start a vdo plugin but it is a pain to use it on Debian - https://github.com/dm-vdo/vdo/

• Hello everyone,

I have Proxmox 4.4 as a host and virtualized I have tested various versions of OMV since version 5.3.9, 4.1.3, 4.1.22 and 4.0.9

I configure the OMVs regardless of versions 5.3.9, 4.1.3, 4.1.22 and 4.0.9, with a vitio virtual disk for the operating system and another virtio for storage.

I direct the backup copies of the Proxmox 4.4 to this virtual OMV machines, but whenever the backup of one or more virtual machines starts, the OMV shuts down by itself without any explanation and clearly the backup is not performed and ends up blocking the Proxmox 4.4 that has the virtual machines that were doing the backups.

PROMOX 4.4. from the OMV and the other virtual machines:

• proxmox-ve: 4.4-76 (running kernel: 4.4.35-1-pve)

• pve-manager: 4.4-1 (running version: 4.4-1/eb2d6f1e)

• pve-kernel-4.4.35-1-pve: 4.4.35-76

Proxmox physical server 4.4. by OMV:

• Xeon 4 cores

• RAM 9GB

• 2 SATA 4TB hard drives

OMV virtual machine on Proxmox 4.4

• Xeon 3 cores

• 7.5GB RAM memory

• 1 Virtio 30GB hard drive, operating system.

• 1 Virtio 3500GB hard drive, storage.

I hope someone can support me in the failure.

Thanks.

• And the upgrade to 5 and the to 6 is not viable?

It is a server of about 8 years or more, for old servers I always use Proxmox 4.4.

-The question is if I upload it, do you think it will work?

-Or have you tried Proxmox 5 or 6 on old servers?

• Hi Andrea - did you ever get your answer? Also: Have you been successful in setting up KVM on OMV?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!