Proxmox Kernel

• Offizieller Beitrag

For KVM, the proxmox kernel is much more thoroughly tested than the backports Debian kernel. But I think you would be ok with either.

• Offizieller Beitrag

is it possible to add 5.11 pve kernel to repo?

Should be able to. Let me check.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

s it possible to add 5.11 pve kernel to repo?

omv-extras 5.6 has button to install 5.11 kernel.

• Offizieller Beitrag

5.11 is now in the proxmox no-sub-repo.

That was fast. I will leave both buttons in case someone still wants the 5.4 kernel. I need to change the repo though.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

It is in the repo but does not get installed with apt dist-upgrade.

root@pve:~# apt-cache search pve-kernel |grep 5.11

pve-kernel-5.11.7-1-pve - The Proxmox PVE Kernel Image

pve-kernel-5.11 - Latest Proxmox VE Kernel Image

You can install it with apt install and works fine on my old Dell Proxmox server.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It is in the repo but does not get installed with apt dist-upgrade

Correct. That is because it has a different package name. The 5.11 button in omv-extras will install it even if you have the 5.4 kernel installed.

• Offizieller Beitrag

i believe they are probably going to use it for Proxmox 7.

I agree.

• I agree.

I have been absent for a while. It took me about two years to get my OMV4 solid. Then just let it do it's thing until I started to run out of storage space. I ordered a new Dell R7515 12 drive chassis. Current game plan is run ProXmoX as base OS virtualize OMV. Do I want to change to the Proxmox Kernel for my OMV install?
    Thanks
    P.S. ryecoaaron I am very fortunate to have this piece of hardware; it is a bit more than I am used to working with. I would love to get a bit of your guidance as I am sure I could miss many features of this server because of my sheer ignorance, an example: I do not understand what my HBA330 can do for me. I do not want to hijack this post, so perhaps you could PM me. Thank you.

Version7.0-32 (Sandworm)
    ProcessorAMD EPYC 7302P 16-Core Processor
    KernelLinux 6.1.15-1-pve
    HardwareDell R7515
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Do I want to change to the Proxmox Kernel for my OMV install?

I would. I am running the 5.11 kernel on my hardware systems. But I am not using proxmox anymore since I wrote the KVM plugin. This lets you have storage and VMs on the same box without OMV in a VM.

I do not want to hijack this post, so perhaps you could PM me.

Just start a new thread :) Then others can see info.

• Just start a new thread

…I am not using proxmox anymore since I wrote the KVM plugin. This lets you have storage and VMs on the same box without OMV in a VM

As you can imagine having this new server with so many mysteries has been keeping me from having idle time. I do intend on starting a new thread, but something said had sort of blown my mind a bit. Are you running OMV as a bare metal hypervisor?
    I want to say I know nothing of KVM(honestly every time I've read "KVM" prior to this post my brain assumed; Keyboard Video Mouse), but I suspect my playing with ProXmoX has been somewhat of a great GUI layer for KVM — now I digress and that's another post.

I am still pondering the concept of running OMV as a bare metal hypervisor?

Version7.0-32 (Sandworm)
    ProcessorAMD EPYC 7302P 16-Core Processor
    KernelLinux 6.1.15-1-pve
    HardwareDell R7515
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Are you running OMV as a bare metal hypervisor?
    I want to say I know nothing of KVM(honestly every time I've read "KVM" prior to this post my brain assumed; Keyboard Video Mouse), but I suspect my playing with ProXmoX has been somewhat of a great GUI layer for KVM — now I digress and that's another post.

Yes. The plugin and proxmox both use kvm. I really like proxmox but it does much more than most users need and it complicates using the same server for storage.

I am still pondering the concept of running OMV as a bare metal hypervisor?

It isn't much different than proxmox. Proxmox is Debian userland with Ubuntu kernel. OMV is Debian userland with the ability to use the Ubuntu kernel. They both can use kvm since it is builtin to the kernel. Really not much different than using Virtualbox on OMV.

• Proxmox is better in sense of easier clustering and some things that are beyond the scope of SMB.

I haven't tested kvm plugin extensively, but as i can see ryan did a really good job here. Only thing missing is backup/recovery extensive procedure. Maybe binding it with proxmox backup server for easier procedure.

• Offizieller Beitrag

as i can see ryan did a really good job here

Ryan? lol

Only thing missing is backup/recovery extensive procedure.

I'm working on that. If you must have a backup, you can always shutdown the VM, copy the virtual disk file(s), and start it back up.

Maybe binding it with proxmox backup server for easier procedure.

Even though they are both kvm, Proxmox libs and libvirt don't work together.

• Offizieller Beitrag

This is not really a proxmox question. The proxmox kernel works well on buster and I want to try it on another project. Just searching I can't find a good tutorial. Maybe you could point me to one.

I used wget and dpkg to install the 5.11 kernel and kernel helper. I am guessing I might need more packages.

I am trying to do this to Untangle firewall. They do tweak their kernel. The web ui doesn't work. The network threw put went up a fair bit but that may be because some of the features are not running.

Have not trouble shot much. Just guessing I need more packages.

Thanks

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!