Proxmox Kernel

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just guessing I need more packages.

It might be easier to add the repo but these are the packages you should need:

pve-firmware

pve-headers

pve-headers-5.11

pve-headers-5.11.21-1-pve

pve-kernel-5.11

pve-kernel-5.11.21-1-pve

• Offizieller Beitrag

it may break other things.

This is all it should add at most

dmeventd

dmsetup

grub-common

grub-pc

grub-pc-bin

grub2-common

libdevmapper-dev:amd64

libdevmapper-event1.02.1:amd64

libdevmapper1.02.1:amd64

liblvm2cmd2.03:amd64

libspice-server1:amd64

lvm2

pve-firmware

pve-headers

pve-headers-5.11

pve-headers-5.11.21-1-pve

pve-headers-5.4

pve-headers-5.4.124-1-pve

pve-kernel-5.11

pve-kernel-5.11.17-1-pve

pve-kernel-5.11.21-1-pve

pve-kernel-5.4

pve-kernel-5.4.119-1-pve

pve-kernel-5.4.124-1-pve

smartmontools

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hm, there is a source code from aaron ,on adding the kernel, but it would be something like this:

Code
    wget -qO - http://download.proxmox.com/debian/proxmox-ve-release-6.x.gpg | sudo apt-key add -
    Code
    sudo apt update && sudo apt dist-upgrade

and then add kernel 5.11:

sudo apt install pve-kernel-5.11 -y

Test as always

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just the kernel and headers installed but didn't work. Not sure why. So I installed the repo. Apt wanted to remove 43 packages that would have maid it not worth the effort. They modify the stock buster kernel so I just wondered if a newer (modern) kernel might be a big improvement. It works well enough it is not worth the effort.

Thanks again.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Apt wanted to remove 43 packages that would have maid it not worth the effort.

They remove the individual firmware packages and replace them with one pve-firmware package. not a big deal at all.

They modify the stock buster kernel so I just wondered if a newer (modern) kernel might be a big improvement

The proxmox kernel is the Ubuntu LTS kernel and in my opinion is much more stable than the Buster backports kernel.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

Unfortunately most packages it wanted to remove had untangle-feature in the name. Defeating the purpose and features of untangle. It would be nice if it didn't require a lot of work. I will just wait for the next version. I think they are slow to adapt so I was wondering if it might be easy to update the kernel. Seems it would be more than I suspected.

Thanks

Proxmox 7 has been released by the way. Debian 11 has not. Going to wait a while for that too. LOL

• Offizieller Beitrag

I can confirm that 5.19 kernel is working great at all my OMV machines

I will look at adding the option to install. As always, you noticed the new kernel before me : )

• Offizieller Beitrag

there is some problem with it and boot on zfs, so be warned.

For keeping data clean, I like ZFS. It definitely has a place for data drives. But, using ZFS on a boot drive...?

Can you think of a few good reasons or a use case for using ZFS on a boot drive?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can you think of a few good reasons or a use case for using ZFS on a boot drive?

Automatic bootable snapshots. I am actually running zfs on the boot drive on my laptop running Xubuntu 22.04. It takes a snapshot after basically every apt command and adds an entry for the snapshot in grub. But there are thousands of packages that have to work together in a desktop environment. Debian servers are so stable that I think this is overkill for OMV.

• Offizieller Beitrag

6.1 is working great atm, but i can see on proxmox forum that there is some problem with it and boot on zfs, so be warned.

Thanks. 6.4.5 is in the repo.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Automatic bootable snapshots. I am actually running zfs on the boot drive on my laptop running Xubuntu 22.04. It takes a snapshot after basically every apt command and adds an entry for the snapshot in grub.

That's pretty impressive. Automatic you say - no configuration required?

While it doesn't add grub entries for snapshots, Timeshift does versioned backup of the boot drive. It can use Rsync which means a simple filesystem like EXT4 can be used. I was thinking about playing with Timeshift to see if a user friendly process (easy boot drive versioning) is possible.

On the other hand, you're right. Boot drive versioning for Debian/OMV seems over kill. With the flashmemory plugin, even with years of use, I have yet to have a good quality USB thumbdrive fail. A cloned backup seems to be plenty of insurance.

• Hi,

I am setting up a new openmediavault 6 server with zfs.

This what I already did:

1. Installed openmediavault 6
    2. installed omv-extras
    3. installed latest proxmox kernel (Linux 6.1.0-1-pve) and booted it
    4. tried to install openmediavault-zfs and get the following messages:

So I looked at the command line and see the following;

So, I googled a bit and found that you need to "disable" the backports:

Code
    @omv6:~# nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault-kernel-backports.list
    #deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian bullseye-backports main contrib non-free

after apt update && apt upgrade it works:

Is this a planned behavior? Is what I did the correct way? Is there a settings in the OMV WebUI to disable the backports?

Thanks Hoppel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    openmediavault 6 | proxmox kernel | zfs | docker | kvm
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Hm..., ok the plugin is installed:

But when I click on "Storage - zfs" I get the following message:

Any idea?

EDIT: OK, I got it. After importing the pool on the command line, the zfs gui works now and I see my pool and my filesystems. Is this a planned behavior?

Thanks Hoppel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    openmediavault 6 | proxmox kernel | zfs | docker | kvm
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von hoppel118 ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!