Windows 10 Creators failure to locate CIFS/SMB shares

• Offizieller Beitrag

Weird things can happen. Not sure what my setting was pre reset of Windows but it did work. Unrelated issues forced me to reset the OS and suddenly could not access shares.
    Found the policy setting and changed it to Enabled and could then access the shares again.

Possibly related to "reset" functionality with Windows 10. Don't know if the same issue would occur after clean install of Windows 10 but Windows 10 patching have not been very successful lately.

Since I only have one W10 box,and there's been no need to mess with it:
    (Also, we moved and that box isn't here yet. )

What do you mean by "reset function"? Are you talking about rolling the system back, or a "reset to factory defaults" in an OEM build?
    Also, what build # are you using?

Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

What do you mean by "reset function"?

I think this is related to MS's cumulative updates, they have a habit of resetting stuff back to "their default" which is means you have to go back and check everything. My W10 64 bit is a PITA three times I've reinstalled just because updates continually error and you spend hours trying to resolve it, but the other 32 bit laptops are fine.

• Offizieller Beitrag

My W10 64 bit is a PITA three times I've reinstalled just because updates continually error and you spend hours trying to resolve it, but the other 32 bit laptops are fine.

I'll keep that in mind for future use, and look into how W10 - 32bit handles memory.

So you "rebuilt" - from scratch? That seems different from a reset. Window's,, such a PITA. The freaking updates alone steal a PC from the user, as it seems, just when it's needed.

• Since I only have one W10 box,and there's been no need to mess with it:(Also, we moved and that box isn't here yet. )

What do you mean by "reset function"? Are you talking about rolling the system back, or a "reset to factory defaults" in an OEM build?
    Also, what build # are you using?

Thanks

Ah yes, sorry, there is a recovery function in W10 so the user does not have to perform a complete reinstall of the OS.
    Instead the OS sort of resets to "default" installation and keeps user files but wipes applications and reverts to Microsoft default settings.
    You can find the different options in START -> Settings -> Update & Security -> Recovery

I'm on Windows 10 Pro version 1803 build 17134.407.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ah yes, sorry, there is a recovery function in W10 so the user does not have to perform a complete reinstall of the OS.
    Instead the OS sort of resets to "default" installation and keeps user files but wipes applications and reverts to Microsoft default settings.
    You can find the different options in START -> Settings -> Update & Security -> Recovery

I'm on Windows 10 Pro version 1803 build 17134.407.

No, no... Thank you.

You came to the forum with a problem AND a solution.
    That's, obviously, useful around here. :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Been there done that, how many T Shirts do you want :) the fact that that option removes your applications, one might as well do a clean install after backing up your files, using the media creation tool -> and the system restore option seems to be broke in W10.
    The one thing about W7 was it created a restore point before installing any updates.

A better option would be to create a user on omv the same as the user on W10, set up the user's home directory on omv then point their W10 library folders to that home directory, a similar set up as if a user was on an MS domain. That way their docs are safe on the server and backed up (if a backup process is in place)

I appreciate that everyone is different in their approach and there is no one size fits all, but sometimes I find it useful having information regarding how people do things and why.

• So I have two Win 10 laptops, neither of which see my Samba share, even though they see their own win 10 shares. Running OMV 4.0, on top Raspbian Stretch on RBP3B+. Oddly, WIN 10 did automatically detect it once or twice, but that's it. I can manually browse by typing in the ip address, but I'm trying to get it to be automatically detected, without having to turn Samba 1.0 back on. Did a lot of research, even reading up on Master Browser, but that seems only to effect Win7, back, not Win 10.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I can manually browse by typing in the ip address, but I'm trying to get it to be automatically detected

File Explorer -> Network -> Highlight -> \\IP Address of your Pi -> Shares will now display -> Stay on that window, click on Home from the Menu -> Click Pin to Quick Access job done!

• Offizieller Beitrag

without having to turn Samba 1.0 back on

Assuming you're talking about SMB 1 protocol, it won't work. Win10 has locked it out. You could turn it back on but, generally speaking, it's not a good idea.

Not being about to browse to your server in Windows Explorer is, as the Brit's put it, "a sticky wicket". Take a look at this How-To. In it you'll find a link to a Windows Users group who have been raging about W10's network discovery problem for years. As of the last time I researched this issue, there's still no single solution for the network discovery problem that works for all. (Which is why I believe this is not an actual problem. Rather, it was created by M$ as a marketing tool.)

The best that can be done, for convenience, is creating a shortcut as @geaves outlined above.

• Hi Everyone

I'm also stuck with that smb issue on w10 1809.
    I recently changed my main computer OS and installed W10 entreprise 1809 17763.134
    Allthough my other machines (laptop w10 1607, and another w10 1607 ) are perfectly working with my OMV 4131 server on my home private network impossible to connect to it via W101809

And followed the [howto] procedure step by step, ending on the Windows is "Windows" step by not being able to create the shortcut to OMV.

tried also to connect via smb1 (via windows optionnal services, to test it) . OMV appears in the network but also error code 08x800735 when I try to connect to OMV

did I miss something?

Best

• Offizieller Beitrag

Take a look at @Molok 's post. Since I don't have a W10 box at this location yet, I haven't had a chance to update W10 (and replicate the problem) followed by updating the How-To.

ending on the Windows is "Windows" step by not being able to create the shortcut to OMV

This is the first I've heard of something like this. Usually one can "connect" to the OMV server, but access is denied.
    If you used the IP address (not the servers host name) it indicates there's no IP connectivity. You might have something else going on.

Are you using the Windows "Enterprise" firewall? Have you tested with the firewall off (temporarily)?

• Offizieller Beitrag

The easiest way to resolve this is as I have described above, if there is a message to enable Network Discovery then do so. MS networking relies on Function Discovery Resource Publication and WS-Discovery.
    Windows Explorer Network (aka Network Neighbourhood) is now deprecated and no longer works, arp cache works but appears to take longer for whatever reason.

Once you have access via ip address in File Explorer MS now recommends that you map network shares -> I never have, simply adding a link to Quick Access is sufficient.

• Zitat von flmaxey

Are you using the Windows "Enterprise" firewall? Have you tested with the firewall off (temporarily)?

Yes indeed, I forgot to mention I made a test turning the firewall off. no effect...

I did enable network discovery (as described in how to / "advanced sharing settings")
    Also shared folders from other W10 1607 computers are not poping up either in network browser.
    But in this last case , I can definetlty create a shortcut by typing the name of the computer,(Howto last step) and then access works fine.

So I 've jsute tried Molok's suggestion
    Windows 10 Creators failure to locate CIFS/SMB shares

And now I can indeed create the shortcut and make access to OMV!

Many Thanks for your Help sir!

Best from Paris

• Offizieller Beitrag

And now I can indeed create the shortcut and make access to OMV!

Two known cases and counting. It's time to update the How-To before the forum avalanche begins. (I'll try to replicate the issue later.)

Thanks for following up, and verifying @Molok s fix. That's really helpful.

• I'm having the same issue here that with a Windows 10 client I cannot access the Samba shares of OMV4 :(

I have followed the HOW-TO instructions "Connect to OMV SMB shares with Windows 10" and also modified the respective "Enable insecure guest logon" registry parameters, rebooted the PC, and still no luck to access the shared drives of the OMV4 server.

Have I missed anything else? Is there something that can be configured on the OMV4 side?

As a workaround I'm now mounting the shares using FTP as described with "Map FTP Drive in Windows". Not the ideal solution, however that's the only workable approach for now...

• Yes, I can ping the OMV4 server, can SSH to it, and can also use the shared drives mounted with the FTP mechanism as described in previous post. Only the standard SMB share with Windows does not work.

Can you point to the shortcut you're referring to, in case I missed something else here?

• Offizieller Beitrag

The OMV server short cut is in the "Connect to OMV SMB shares with Windows 10" How-To. It's titled: Create an OMV Server Shortcut
    Using the server's IP address, one set's up a short cut to the OMV server on the desktop, and pins it to frequently used and start menu.

If the above doesn't do the job:

Is it possible to restrict access with SMB settings? Yep. You can restrict yourself out of a share with SMB settings alone, in conjunction with having incorrect permissions assigned to the shared folder.

Setup a shared folder, with SMB, according to the User's Guide (also in my signature below). What you're interested in starts on page 46. If it works, you'll know what needs to be changed to open up your existing shares.

Also, if you care to go that far, this permissions thread may be of help.

• No here a recap again on my yesterday and again today accomplished findings:

Access to an OMV4 server using SSH terminal prompt and FTP shared folder is working fine with all Windows7, macOS, and Windows 10 operating systems.

Access to the same OMV4 server using CMB/CIFS shared folder is working fine with all Windows7 and macOS operating systems, however does not work with the Windows 10 operating system despite having followed all guidelines outlined with the HOW-TO "Connect to OMV SMB shares with Windows 10" post.

Accessing an other commercial NAS platform with the Windows7, macOS, and Windows 10 operating systems is working fine. No issues at all, it works with a Windows 10 PC.

Now, to me it seems to look like a problem with OMV4's setup for CMB/CIFS sharing mechanism when using Windows 10.

With the same Windows 10 PC, I can access a CMB/CIFS shared drive of the same commercial NAS platform without any problems, however it does not work with a shared drive declared within OMV4.

Is there anything else I can check within OMV4 so that I can further nail down the origin of the problem?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!