How to expand Raid5 with bigger disks ?

• Hi.

My OMV 64bit is currently runnig with a 80GB USB Systemdrive an 6*2TB data-drives as raid5.
    Now i have 5*3TB drives I want to use as raid5 data-drive.
    My server has only 8 bays for the disks.
    My plan A was to remove one 2tb drive from the raid, build a new raid5 with 3*3TB drives, copy the data from the old raid to the new, delete the old raid and grow the new raid with the 2 remaining 3TB drives.
    Plan B was to replace the 2TB drives with the 3TB drives, one after the other, waiting for the rebuild each time and grow it after replacing the last disk .
    For both plans I need to remove one 2TB drive from the raid5.
    But how can I "shrink" my raid (and of course the filesystem (ext4) before) ?
    In the webgui I only can grow the raid.

And what do you think ist the best way ?
    I think plan B will keep my filesystem, shared folders and smb shares.

Thx.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You won't lose files with any of these ideas.

Plan A - Should work but you lose your parity drive.
    Plan B - would take forever but is the only way to keep setup.

Plan C - If you can get all of your data on a 3x3tb array, put the 3 drives in another computer (desktop?) and boot SystemRescueCD or Parted Magic. Transfer files from omv server to temporary computer. Then remove shares, unmount filesystem, and shutdown omv server. Take all drives out and put new drives in. Boot, grow array, and resetup.

Plan D - Buy three usb to sata adapters to plug into current server. Create new array and transfer files. Probably best idea in my book. Once done, you could move old drives out of chassis and new drives into chassis without changes.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Plan D sounds good to me.

Let's see if I get it right:

3 of my 3TB Disks are in USB-Cases at the moment.
    So I plug 2 disks into the free bays, connect 3 disks via usb, build a raid5 an filesystem with these 5*3TB, copy or move files, remove old filesystem and raid, shut down server, remove 2TB disks, put in all 3TB disks into the bays, boot server and I should be lucky ? :?::D

This would be the easiest way...

• Offizieller Beitrag

That should work :)

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• are you sure that will work ?
    i would think that the hdds will get another name if you pluged it in in the bays instead of usb...in my eyes it will not work that way......but what is with this:

setup one 3 tb hdd into a pc (or maybe 2)....copy all files to that.......uninstall the old raid in omv, build a raid with the other 3x 3 tb hdds in omv and copy the data to it. take your "old" 2x 3tb drives out of the pc into omv; grow it.

done.

i would guess that is much faster, copying data over ne network, instead of the slow rebuild process. plus your data is save all the time ;)

HP-Proliant Microserver Gen8 | omv = always latest | 64 bit | 1x3TB ,3x4TB , 1x500GB HDD for Boot | omvextrasorg = latest | HP P212| Plugins = NUT, HWRaid, luksencryption OMV extras

• It will work that way because the UUIDs are stored for the filesystem.
    So you have nothing to worry about...

Greetings
    David

EDIT: Your disks may get a new "device name" (/dev/sd*) on every boot, thats why OMV uses UUIDs.

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!