Mount system HDD as a shared folder?

• Hi guys, new to OMV here, just finished my installation a few days ago , I installed OMV on my old laptop's internal disk without any pre-partition . its a 500gb hard drive, and I dont think I am able to mount it as a shared folder? If so, any way I can use the extra space of that drive without reinstall OMV?

Thanks

• Checkout the faqs.

Thanks! didnt know there is a F&Q. Just to be sure, I assume any 3rd party partition software should work? Like a Win PE with partition loaded?

And If it all goes wrong some how. Can I partition the disk first, then reinstall OMV on that one specific partition rather than the whole disk?

• And If it all goes wrong some how. Can I partition the disk first, then reinstall OMV on that one specific partition rather than the whole disk?

You cannot install OMV into an existing partition if you are using one of the OMV installation iso images. They re-partition any target drive, so any existing data or partitions will be lost.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• You cannot install OMV into an existing partition if you are using one of the OMV installation iso images. They re-partition any target drive, so any existing data or partitions will be lost.

I see, just tried to use a partition software to do partition after the OMV installed, and maybe still corrupted the data, the system is dead now... doing a fresh Debian install now.. according to F&Q. Any advise?

• My advise is to install OMV to a very small drive and ignore any remaining free space. I run mine on a 16GB SSD, only 5GB are used the rest is available. If proper care is taken, a small USB flash disk could be used instead. But I get the feeling this approach doesn't interest you.

Another possibility might be to:

1) Install OMV to your 500GB drive and verify it works.

2) Boot the system using a Live CD/USB version of GParted, or something like a Live USB version of Ubuntu that has or can take a copy of GParted.

3) Use GParted to shrink the OMV partition down to something reasonable, say 16GB.

4) Move the swap partition to the end of the OMV primary partition.

5) Then create one or more new partitions in the remaining free space and format them ext4.

6) Reboot back into OMV and see if it worked, and if so, see if the extra partition(s) beyond the swap will mount.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Thanks ! finally got it working after partition, but some how I can't get in the web control panel...it keep saying incorrect passwords. I tried default passwords, changed pw though firstaid. Its really strange that i CAN access web control panel but just cant get in... does this means something breaks?

• One of the symptoms of having a rootfs that is filled to capacity is not being able to login via the GUI, but still being able to login as root from the console. Any chance that happened?

Also, the only user that can access the web GUI is the admin user. If you have not cleared your browser cache, do so.

--

• One of the symptoms of having a rootfs that is filled to capacity is not being able to login via the GUI, but still being able to login as root from the console. Any chance that happened?

Also, the only user that can access the web GUI is the admin user. If you have not cleared your browser cache, do so.

Thanks man ! Got it worked some how, just tried to change the pw many times, like 5 times and it went though, not sure why, now seems everything is ok. Trying to learn here, would you please explain a little bit why is the order of the partition matters? you mentions to move the swap partition right after the OS partition, I think last time I only resized it and didn't move the swap partition and the system died....

And one more thing, I now have a external disk full of stuff I wanna to move in to the shared folder,is it possible to do it at the console or web page? What I was doing is plug the external HDD to one of my computer and upload to the NAS, but it requires my PC up a quite a long time..

Sorry if I asked too much, really new here hehe, Another thing is my old laptop seems should have a gigabyte Ethernet,also the windows driver shows it supports 1gb/s but in OMV I can only get 100mb/s (like 12MB/s most) when uploading file to NAS? Did I missed something? like something equivalent to a driver.exe in windows?

• I suggested moving the swap partition up against the OS partition. This leaves all the free space contiguous. You could have moved it to other end of the drive instead and it shouldn't matter.

By external disk, I assume you mean one of those external cases that connects via a USB cable. You can plug that in and look for it Storage | Disks. If it doesn't show up all by itself, press the Scan button there. Once it shows up go to Storage | File Systems and if it didn't mount by itself, select the disk with the mouse and mount it.

There used to be a plugin for OMV that presented itself as a file manager in a web page where you could move files around, but AFAIK, it's deprecated. I use Midnight Commander for doing this. You can install it from a root shell:

apt-get update
    apt-get install mc

Then run it from the shell:

mc

There is a guide for mc here: https://linode.com/docs/tools-…stall-midnight-commander/

--

• Sorry if I asked too much, really new here hehe, Another thing is my old laptop seems should have a gigabyte Ethernet,also the windows driver shows it supports 1gb/s but in OMV I can only get 100mb/s (like 12MB/s most) when uploading file to NAS? Did I missed something? like something equivalent to a driver.exe in windows?

Not sure how to check if your OMV NIC is running at 1gb/s. I run ifconfig in the shell to see this, but it could be that ifconfig is deprecated and I have it as a remnant from an old OMV install that was upgraded several times from 2.x -> 3.x -> 4.x

Try:

ip link

If the link is running at 1000 and the transfers are still slow, and you are using samba shares, that would explain it. I do better than 12MB/s but not much, especially when transferring very large files. I don't have any suggestions other than to look for samba tuning tips - something I never bothered trying here.

--

• Not sure how to check if your OMV NIC is running at 1gb/s. I run ifconfig in the shell to see this, but it could be that ifconfig is deprecated and I have it as a remnant from an old OMV install that was upgraded several times from 2.x -> 3.x -> 4.x
    Try:

ip link

If the link is running at 1000 and the transfers are still slow, and you are using samba shares, that would explain it. I do better than 12MB/s but not much, especially when transferring very large files. I don't have any suggestions other than to look for samba tuning tips - something I never bothered trying here.

Yeah, it says 1000, for samba share you means the thing shows up as "SMB/CIFS" tab for OMV? indeed I am using it and visiting it from my PC using task browser... So any other protocol/ way you recommend for movie sharing that take the advantage of my full 1gb/s bandwidth ?

• Not sure how to check if your OMV NIC is running at 1gb/s. I run ifconfig in the shell to see this, but it could be that ifconfig is deprecated and I have it as a remnant from an old OMV install that was upgraded several times from 2.x -> 3.x -> 4.x
    Try:

ip link

If the link is running at 1000 and the transfers are still slow, and you are using samba shares, that would explain it. I do better than 12MB/s but not much, especially when transferring very large files. I don't have any suggestions other than to look for samba tuning tips - something I

Yeah, it says 1000, for samba share you means the thing shows up as "SMB/CIFS" tab for OMV? indeed I am using it and visiting it from my PC using task browser... So any other protocol/ way you recommend for movie sharing that take the advantage of my full 1gb/s bandwidth ?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!