Change label of disk

• Hi,

If I'm correct it's not possible to change the label of a disk via the webconfig, but I suppose that I can do this via the terminal. Does this not cause trouble?

• Since the disks are most likely mounted by label, it will cause issues.

omv 5.6.9 usul | 64 bit | 5.11 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.6.2 | kvm plugin 5.1.5
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Oke, so you advice don't do it.. Thanks!

If you remove the shared folders on the disk and unmount it in the web interface, you could re-label it and mount it again in the web interface if you really want to change it.

omv 5.6.9 usul | 64 bit | 5.11 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.6.2 | kvm plugin 5.1.5
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

If you remove the shared folders on the disk and unmount it in the web interface, you could re-label it and mount it again in the web interface if you really want to change it.

Oke, how do I re-label it because "xfs_admin" gives me a error.

You will likely find some helpful information in this thread where I asked a similar question.

Thanks! Chenking...

• re-label the disk is now working! User error.. :)

root@openmediavault:/srv# xfs_admin -L Disk21 /dev/sdb1
    writing all SBs
    new label = "Disk21"

Update: you also have to umount the disk to make it work.

• You can also label your OS drive. It's uses the ext4 filesystem.

root@openmediavault:/srv/dev-disk-by-label-Disk01# e2label /dev/sdj1 OS

You can label a drive with ext4 filesystem mounted.

• Better DO NOT USE filesystem labels.

Is there a different system you'd recommend? All my data disks contain one partition of max size, and I use the filesystem label to indicate where the drive is physically in my case (A1 is top row, first column, C3 is third row, third column, etc.).

• Better DO NOT USE filesystem labels.

Please remind me what designator OMV writes into fstab if filesystem labels are not used. Thanx!

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 5.x on ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0 Stepping - 16GB ECC - Silverstone DS380 + Silverstone DS380 DAS Box.

• Please remind me what designator OMV writes into fstab if filesystem labels are not used. Thanx!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!