My box has disappeared?!

• Evening all,

been running my NAS with OMV for a few months now and very happy with it.

OMV 4.35/6/7? I last updated last weekend I think?
    Box is an N40L with 250GB 2.5" laptop hdd for omv, then 4 drives all running just as standalone drives, no raid, greyhole (although I would like that but it's not essential)
    On the drives is movies, music, TV shows, and some personal stuff, nothing vital
    The box is configured to receive IP from DHCP server (Asus router, running Asus firmware), and the router always allocates a fixed ip for the box (192.168.0.12)

I've tried to log in this afternoon and not found was all any browser could say!
    Tried various apps, cp, sb, sab, plex and all reporting not found as well?
    Rebooted router, no change.
    Can't ssh into box, no other ip's showing?

What to do?

Thanks in advance

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you plug a monitor into it, I'm betting it has stopped because of a bad drive and is waiting for you to manually fix it.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• So screen/keyboard in and yes it's waiting for me.
    I've opened the repair shell and said yes to everything?
    It's booted ok and all seems to be running normally.
    Looked in the SMART subsection and the 250GB drive that came with the n40l appears to be the one that's playing up?!
    Powering down now to remove the drive, we'll see what happens then...

On boot the Box halted, waiting for me.
    I hit ctrl-D and off it went.
    I'm assuming the pause was because it was looking to mount the disk?
    Do I just unmount that disk from the storage/filesystems section?

Cheers :)

• hapless, please be more specific on what you're seeing on your screen.

Is it the message "press ctrl+d to continue or enter for a maintanence shell"?

Then your system is working but one of your data drives is missing.

In case of that, let your 250gb in place, press ctrl+d on boot and let it continue to boot into OMV.
    You will see in the OMV Webinterface which hard disks it still recognises.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Hi David,

yes, that was the message.
    As ryecoaaron correctly guessed, the system was waiting for me to tell it what to do.
    I opted for the maintenance shell and it found a number of errors, which I said to fix.
    I then booted and once into the web gui, I looked into the smart panel and could see the drive that had a lot of errors on was the 250gb seagate drive that shipped with the n40l.
    I then powered down the n40l, removed the dodgy drive (I don't think I was using it for anything anyway?) and on boot it paused again, this time with a failure code 8.

I'm guessing that it is still being looked for?
    So how do I remove the uuid from the system? Is it just a case of unmounting it?

Thanks

• ...on what drive did you install OMV if not on the 250gb that shipped with the N40L?
    Don't tell me you used the usb port and installed onto a USB Stick/ any other flash media?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Zitat von "hapless"

Evening all,

been running my NAS with OMV for a few months now and very happy with it.

OMV 4.35/6/7? I last updated last weekend I think?
    Box is an N40L with 250GB 2.5" laptop hdd for omv, then 4 drives all running just as standalone drives, no raid, greyhole (although I would like that but it's not essential)

Nope, see above - from my OP.
    I've now unmounted the file system and everything boots normally, so drama over.

Thanks to you both for the replies, especially ryecoaaron as he initially set me on the right path.

Thanks all,

• Only me!

Got in from work and my eldest said the box wasn't working again?
    Hooked the screen/keyboard up and now another drive is throwing up errors - this one has my TV shows and Music on.
    Promise I've not fiddled with anything!!

What's the procedure going forward please?

• Check for temperature peaks, did your harddisks get hot due to bad air flow? Is there any airflow present for the hard disks? In case not, you may be screwing with your drives yourself.

I would higly recommend you to get a backup of your files imediatly and check your hard disks indepently!

How old are the drives? Maybe they are already over there duty.

Greetings
    David

• Hi David,

Temps fine, nice and stable at 30 C
    that's what I'm thinking?

The first drive was the drive that came with the n40l (250GB).
    This second one is from a pair of Samsung 1TB drives, bought April 2009.
    Used to be in my main pc, moved them over to a dlink nas, then from there to the omv nas.

Started copying off the data....

• Four years can already be the due date for some hard disk.

A friend of mine told me he exchanges his disks ~ 3 years, if I remember correctly, to prevent himself from data loss. (3 Drives, so every year one drive...)

My disks in my old raid broke down after just a little over two years!

Greetings
    David

• Offizieller Beitrag

WD Red nas drives.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• What Ryeco said. Available as 1, 2 and 3TB. Grab that size what you think suits you best, maybe grab 2x3TB and setup a RAID 1 or grab 3 and make a RAID 5?

Greetings
    David

• I think the search is broken on the site?!
    Been looking for the past 2 evenings to remove the drive from the filesystems and one folder in the shared folders section, and it tells me that "remove drive" is too common?!

I have a missing filesystem in filesystems, and one of the folders that was in smb/cifs but I deleted after removing the drive, and now I can't get rid of it the shared folders section?
    Just want to keep it neat and tidy! Touch of ocd methinks?!

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Thanks

• http://google.com/

Code
    search query site:http://forums.openmediavault.org/

so

Code
    remove drive site:http://forums.openmediavault.org/

Greetings
    David

• Well roger me sideways!!!
    As simple as that :)

All done and dusted, just being patient and checking what I was doing appeared to be right!!

Nicely done David, thanks for the help again.

Wouldn't it be simpler though to fix the site search? Or at least put that simple search tip somewhere prominently?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!