New SSD

• Hi,

I have nicely running Openmediavault, and I'm very pleased. I now want to move this install to a new SSD before I move this server to a DC. What is the best way to do this? Has Openmediavault some tools I'm not aware of?

• The easiest might be to pretend that the current system drive has crashed. Remove the HDD. Install the SSD and restore your backup of the system drive.

Also a nice test of your backup system.

Be smart - be lazy. Clone your rootfs. This help is Grateful™.
    OMV 4: 9 x Odroid HC2 + 1 x Odroid HC1 + 1 x Raspberry Pi 4

• Sorry. I just remove and clone my SD-card to backup my OMV system drive.

How you should do it best I don't know. But you need to find out really fast before your system drive crash... Sorry, now I jinxed you...

If you pretend that your system drive crashed, you have no access to any OMV plugins at all.

I think OMV has support for Clonezilla, and it can also be used on a bootable USB drive. The backup image can be stored for instance on the USB drive, if it is big enough. Or on a NAS in the network.

Check out Clonezilla! And backup your system drive ASAP. ;D

https://clonezilla.org/

If your SSD is smaller than the current system drive you may have problems. Clonezilla can only restore to a larger or equal size target. You may have to resize your partition.

Be smart - be lazy. Clone your rootfs. This help is Grateful™.
    OMV 4: 9 x Odroid HC2 + 1 x Odroid HC1 + 1 x Raspberry Pi 4

Edited 5 times, last by Adoby ().

• If your SSD is smaller than the current system drive you may have problems. Clonezilla can only restore to a larger or equal size target.

Clonezilla can do if your actually used data is smaller than the size of the new drive and if you use the -icds switch.

Worked for me several times.

ocs-05-b-2-expert-param-extra.png

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!