Commercial NAS vs. DIY NAS

• Commercial- automatic rebuild + led blinking.
    Everything else is on DIY NAS side.

Well I was wondering if I was missing out on anything, if I've figured out how to do DIY. I guess there's no support if anything goes wrong, and you'd have to do everything by yourself.

1 thing that bugs me is that external HDD cases are so expensive for some reason... and most SBCs still don't have SATAs or they're still expensive. And with the case, the commercial NAS aren't that much more expensive.

I don't want to build a NAS with a PSU, I'd only rather use an ARM NAS because it takes too much power and having a PC is like having a heater in your room.

• My home nas is am1 amd server with 4disks, and it users around 30W,so i don't think this is heater(it is compare to Arm). So if you're looking for power efficient x64 get some amd fm2 dual cores because fm2 MB have a lot of SATA ports(that's what i would do now)

• My home nas is am1 amd server with 4disks, and it users around 30W,so i don't think this is heater(it is compare to Arm). So if you're looking for power efficient x64 get some amd fm2 dual cores because fm2 MB have a lot of SATA ports(that's what i would do now)

Well I might try J4105-ITX, it has 0.5w at idle, 18w basic use and 31w at full use.

But with 4GB DDR4, it would cost $150...

• I might try J4105-ITX, it has 0.5w at idle, 18w basic use and 31w at full use

Huh? 0.5W in idle? A Celeron with 10W TDP?

You need to factor in all components to get an idea how consumption at the wall looks like for a NAS. Use an 500W ATX PSU with faked 85+ rating and you end up with your PSU wasting +20W for itself when your NAS is totally idle.

You need a properly sized PSU otherwise this is the component wasting the most energy. And if you want to connect many disks (as many OMV users do for reasons unknown to me) you would need staggered spin-up for this. But with consumer hardware this is not possible, every 3.5" HDD needs up to 25W to spin up just to be happy with 6-7W later when doing its job later, all HDD spin up at the same time so you end up with a highly inefficient PSU setup (since the PSU needs to be sized for the combined spin-up current needed and will later always run in 'less than 20% load range' where they're pretty inefficient)

• Well I just got SuperMicro C7H270-CG-ML + Pentium Dual-Core G4560, not for NAS but for desktop, and I checked it using wall plug watt checker and it got around 10~13W at idle, and 25-35W at use with 2 SSDs, which is pretty impressive. Compared to that, my Rock64 uses about 1.5W at idle and 2.5W at full use.

I might just use that as NAS later.

I checked my USB3 2TB Seagate HDD and it got to around 30W at boot-up, 6.6W at idle and 2W at sleep.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!