Using a partition on the system disk as transcode space for Plex

• Hi,

yesterday i built and configured my OMV4 and installed plex.
    OMV is installed on a 120Gb SSD of which roughly 70gb are in an unused partition.
    I know it's not the best idea, but is there any way to use part of this partition as transcoding space for plex?

I cant select the partition to create a filesystem, or do anything else with it. ?(
    Would be nice, if anyone could help me.

Thank you :)

• I have a setup just like what you want, except I'm using a spinning drive for boot. I set this up a while ago, so I'm working from memory. I don't recall having any difficulties in setting this up, and no problems accessing the data partition. Perhaps you did something different than what I did:

• Installed clean OMV4 on 1 TB spinning drive using ext4 (which can be shrunk).
    • Booted from Partition Magic USB so I could create a new partition, also ext4, on the boot drive. Of course this meant I had to shrink the OMV installation. I chose 10 GB for OMV partition, the rest for data partition.
    • Gave new partition a label: bootdata
    • Rebooted into OMV4 and saw the 2 partitions in Storage->File Systems
    • Mounted the new partition.
    • Installed Plex and pointed to the bootdata partition for the library.
  • Hmm. This sounds very different than what I thought you said your problem was. I installed Plex without Docker, doubt I can be of much use to you.

I thought the problem was you couldn't access the data partition. Good luck!

• How did you install OMV and create multiple partitions on the system disk?

How did you create the filesystem on the second (non-OS) partition?

How are you mounting the second (non-OS) partition?

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 5.x on ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0 Stepping - 16GB ECC - Silverstone DS380 + Silverstone DS380 DAS Box.

• @raulfg3

If you are replying to my post, I was asking the OP how he did it, not how to do it. If you weren't replying to my post, then never mind.

--

OMV AMD64 5.x on ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0 Stepping - 16GB ECC - Silverstone DS380 + Silverstone DS380 DAS Box.

• What hardware are you running on? Must be using something other than the AMD64 OMV image to cause 6 partitions to be created.

Anyway, you say you mounted the partition with the webGUI. So what's the problem? Do you not know where the mount point is?

How was Plex installed? Manually, Plugin, Docker?

--

• Sorry, should have said that: i installed OMV4 over Debian 9. I'm running on a J5005 Board without legacy boot, so i had to.
    I installed plex using docker.
    I can mount the partition, but neither create a shared folder, nor refer to it any other way

• You don't need to create shared folders to be able to set Volumes and Bind mounts in the Docker GUI so long as the partition is mounted and you know where the mountpoint is.

--

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!