Docker plugin - After the last update it does not start

• Thanks for the help, @ryecoaaron, that seems to have done the trick! No more errors when popping into the Docker service. I really appreciate your help!

I'm relatively new to Linux, and am really curious what that process did. From what i could gather, it looks like the touch command tells the OS to update the file's "last updated" metadata to that moment.

Then the apt-get -f install seems to look for broken dependencies and tries to fix them. Interestingly, the output of that command showed that nothing was changed. Yet something definitely fixed the problem.

If it's not too much trouble, I'd love to learn the mechanics behind what that did.

As far as the 'yuck' in response to it being an RPi, is that because it's so underpowered that it makes for a less-than-optimal NAS experience? If so, I totally get it. It does make for a fun, inexpensive platform to learn on, though. :)

Thanks again!

• Offizieller Beitrag

it looks like the touch command tells the OS to update the file's "last updated" metadata to that moment.

It does that as well as create the file if it doesn't exist.

Then the apt-get -f install seems to look for broken dependencies and tries to fix them. Interestingly, the output of that command showed that nothing was changed. Yet something definitely fixed the problem.

It may not have had to fix anything but it doesn't hurt to run. It could've started the service as well.

As far as the 'yuck' in response to it being an RPi, is that because it's so underpowered that it makes for a less-than-optimal NAS experience? If so, I totally get it. It does make for a fun, inexpensive platform to learn on, though.

It is terrible NAS, yes. The problem is that the RPi image is using armbian but isn't really supported and there a few issues when filling in the gaps with the raspberrypi.org repo. I would prefer people purchase a rock64 (cheaper and much faster than an RPi) or rockpro64 (for a bit more) instead :) I have a rockpro64 and it is very stable.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Are they ok to install now, or should I wait for a newer version?

There is nothing to fix with the plugin. The problem with the RPi is with the docker package/repos which we don't maintain. Backup your system and try it. I won't guarantee anything with the RPi.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did some further research and it looks like its best to wait a bit longer. For the RPi owners stumbling on this tread: github.com/moby/moby/issues/38175

That issue isn't relevant. 18.06 is being installed and works. It is just touchy about getting to that point.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am on 18.06. People start having issues when updating to 18.09 on their ARM based systems which is exactly the update waiting to be installed on my system.

You are correct abou 18.06. I forgot I reverted my RPi to try and figure this out AND mixed up the version number even though I just locked the plugin to use 18.09. My bad. But my point still stands. 18.09 is working on my RPi:

• Offizieller Beitrag

@ryecoarron:
    Since you're looking in on this thread, what do you make of the following? I'm not running containers yet so I don't know if there's a functional impact. This shows up in the syslog as well.
    Drop-In: /etc/systemd/system/docker.service.d
    └─openmediavault.conf
    Active: active (running) since Tue 2018-11-27 03:25:25 EST; 8h ago
    Docs: https://docs.docker.com
    Main PID: 1059 (dockerd)
    Tasks: 21
    Memory: 42.9M
    CPU: 13.767s
    CGroup: /system.slice/docker.service
    └─1059 /usr/bin/dockerd -H unix:///var/run/docker.sock

Nov 27 03:25:24 OMV-INTEL dockerd[1059]: time="2018-11-27T03:25:24.372067775-05:00" level=warning msg="Your kernel does not support swap memory limit"
    Nov 27 03:25:24 OMV-INTEL dockerd[1059]: time="2018-11-27T03:25:24.372150197-05:00" level=warning msg="Your kernel does not support cgroup rt period"
    Nov 27 03:25:24 OMV-INTEL dockerd[1059]: time="2018-11-27T03:25:24.372172412-05:00" level=warning msg="Your kernel does not support cgroup rt runtime"
    /-------------------/

• Offizieller Beitrag

what do you make of the following

What kernel version?

• You are correct abou 18.06. I forgot I reverted my RPi to try and figure this out AND mixed up the version number even though I just locked the plugin to use 18.09. My bad. But my point still stands. 18.09 is working on my RPi

Allright. I decided to make a full backup and take my chances. Guess what, everything is fine and Docker is running stable on 18.09 :thumbup: .
    Out of curiosity, what CPU model do you have in your RPi? Mine is a ARMv7 Processor rev 5 (v7l). Looking at the GitHub issue, the problem seems to be limited to the ARMv6 CPU models in older RPis.

Nov 27 03:25:24 OMV-INTEL dockerd[1059]: time="2018-11-27T03:25:24.372150197-05:00" level=warning msg="Your kernel does not support cgroup rt period"
    Nov 27 03:25:24 OMV-INTEL dockerd[1059]: time="2018-11-27T03:25:24.372172412-05:00" level=warning msg="Your kernel does not support cgroup rt runtime"

I get these 2 as well. Containers are fine. Don't know if it has always been like that, or since the latest update.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Out of curiosity, what CPU model do you have in your RPi?

This RPi is an RPi2 which is v7.

Looking at the GitHub issue, the problem seems to be limited to the ARMv6 CPU models in older RPis.

That would make sense. The RPi1 is v6 and almost an armel cpu. Not worth running docker on. OMV doesn't really work on them anymore anyway.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Debian GNU/Linux, with Linux 4.18.0-0.bpo.1-amd64

I'm not seeing those but I will look a bit more. Maybe it has to do with an older CPU?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Or the older user

:D

• Offizieller Beitrag

Maybe it has to do with an older CPU?

Maybe,, the CPU is definitely older so some of the standard features supported in later CPU's wouldn't be there. Don't you have a box running Xeon E5620's?
    The issue couldn't (well shouldn't) be kernel related. We know the latest kernels fully support Docker. Maybe I'll config up a Docker just to see if there's any effect, or if syslog gets a ton of entries.

Since I'm thinking about rebuilding anyway, maybe I'll back off to 4.14 to see what happens, then give the Promox kernel a try.

Or the older user :D:D:D:D:D

Hey brother,, I think you're older than I am. Much older, as in many months older. :rolleyes:

• Offizieller Beitrag

Don't you have a box running Xeon E5620's?

Yes but it isn't plugged in.

The issue couldn't (well shouldn't) be kernel related. We know the latest kernels fully support Docker. Maybe I'll config up a Docker just to see if there's any effect, or if syslog gets a ton of entries

The two cgroup rt warnings have to do with not using the realtime kernel. I have these and there is nothing to worry about. I don't have the other warning but this seems to be just a warning from what I can find. Unless you are having a problem, I wouldn't worry about it. There are fixes on the net but I haven't used any of them.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't have the other warning but this seems to be just a warning from what I can find. Unless you are having a problem, I wouldn't worry about it. There are fixes on the net but I haven't used any of them.

I kind of suspected it wasn't anything to worry about. I'll be testing Docker, to see if there's an issue, before rebuilding.

Thanks for taking a look.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Apologies for yet another input into here, but I decided to remove the plugin and reinstall as I was unable to resolve error I was seeing.

Removed all the containers, removed the plugin, ran apt clean, reinstalled plugin -> error docker not found
    1. So disabled Docker CE repo, apt clean, re enabled Docker CE repo
    2. Installed plugin -> docker not found

I have completed the above 1 & 2 twice and still the same, but took some screen shots

I'm not sure what to try next?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!