Wipe: Secure or Quick - what is the difference?

• What is the difference between a secure wipe and a quick wipe?

OMV 5.6.26-1 (Usul); Shuttle XPC SH67H3; Intel Core i5-2390T; 8 GB DDR3-1333 RAM; 128GB SanDisk Z400s SSD (OS); Samsung 860 EVO 1TB (primary storage); WD Red 2TB (backup and archive storage).

• Offizieller Beitrag

The idea of wiping a drive is to remove any 'signatures' if the drive has been used before.

Quick Wipe will remove any signatures at the beginning of the drive
    Secure Wipe will erase/wipe the complete drive, so depending on the drive size will depend on the time it takes to complete.

However, if there is a zfs signature on the drive, you can find this by doing wipefs -n /dev/sd? (replace the ? with drive letter). If that returns a zfs signature then there are 2 choices 1) Download and create an systemrescuecd and boot omv to remove the zfs signature 2) OMV-Extras -> Kernel tab install and boot once using openrescuecd.

Information here

• Um, so quick wipe deletes boot sectors, or something similar, while secure... writes zeros, random (1 pass, 3 pass ?) or something?

OMV 5.6.26-1 (Usul); Shuttle XPC SH67H3; Intel Core i5-2390T; 8 GB DDR3-1333 RAM; 128GB SanDisk Z400s SSD (OS); Samsung 860 EVO 1TB (primary storage); WD Red 2TB (backup and archive storage).

• Offizieller Beitrag

Um, so quick wipe deletes boot sectors, or something similar, while secure... writes zeros, random (1 pass, 3 pass ?) or something?

Yes, put simply, but that is why I mentioned zfs as I believe it writes a signature at the beginning and the end of the drive.

That is why a drive needs to wiped before it can be used by omv.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!