RAID Creation Fails Every Time With Failed to Execute Command On New Installation

• I still think this is a good idea (Even a post just about arm and raspberry pi) from the prospective that I can point people to this information from YouTube.

Build, Learn, Create.

How to Videos for OMV

Post any questions to the forum, so others can benefit from your curiosity. :thumbsup:
    No private support.

• a hint in the notes at the download page on sourceforge

This will be as useless as a warning dialog. Users will ignore this since they are told since a decade that the totally useless RAID-1 mode would provide data safety and/or data security (while it's only the try to provide data availability). Simply google for 'data safety raid 1' and you get the idea.

This whole 'mislead people to believe RAID-1 would provide data safety' is substantial part of the marketing efforts of SOHO NAS vendors, and media outlets spread this nonsense also since a decade.

All that helps is disabled RAID functionality on platforms where it will only cause harm (data loss and/or corruption). That applies to almost all the SBC platforms unfortunately.

• All that helps is disabled RAID functionality on platforms where it will only cause harm (data loss and/or corruption). That applies to almost all the SBC platforms unfortunately.

Anything we do to disable raid would be reverted by an OMV upgrade since Volker does not want to make the raid plugin a separate plugin.

omv 5.6.12 usul | 64 bit | 5.11 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.6.2 | kvm plugin 5.1.6
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I think the best will be that devices connected via USB are not displayed in the RAID creation dialog anymore. This is very easy to implement.

I like this idea but we might need a note mentioning this on the form. Otherwise, people will wonder why their drives don't show up. And for the people who insist on doing the wrong thing, they can still create an array from the command line.

omv 5.6.12 usul | 64 bit | 5.11 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.6.2 | kvm plugin 5.1.6
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I think the best will be that devices connected via USB are not displayed in the RAID creation dialog anymore. This is very easy to implement.

This would handle the entire issue completely since, if the problem is distilled down to the actual cause, it's RAID+USB. This applies to X64 platforms as well.

I like this idea but we might need a note mentioning this on the form. Otherwise, people will wonder why their drives don't show up. And for the people who insist on doing the wrong thing, they can still create an array from the command line.

And this also allows flexibility for the hobbyist/enthusiast to do as they please. However, since RAID over USB won't be "click of a mouse button" easy, the majority won't do it.

I believe it would be easier to explain why RAID over USB is no longer supported in the GUI, then it is to tell a user (after the fact) that their data is most likely gone.

• I like your original idea better; filter USB devices so they don't even show up in the create dialog. If it's not available and easy for a beginner, chances are, they won't do it. (Or even become aware that it can be done.) RAID through USB is just bad news.

But, I'm OK with going back to a create dialog warning. A threshold warning, in this case, is a very good thing.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!