OMV-Remote Desktop-lag-disorder

• Hello,
    I desperately need a Remote Desktop in OMV OpenMediaVault.
    Installed> OMV-Extras> Plugins> openmediavault-remotedesktop 4.0.1
    Connected via Windows Remote Desktop Connection.
    After a few clicks, no reaction, connection reboot few clicks and again lags / errors.

Code
    root@RockHomeServer:~# uname -a
    Linux RockHomeServer 4.4.138-1094-rockchip-ayufan-gf13a8a9a4eee #1 SMP Thu Aug 9 20:29:55 UTC 2018 aarch64 GNU/Linux

Remote Desktop is very important to me.
    Please help.

• sounds more like slow internet either on host or server but you can try using a docker image

https://hub.docker.com/r/ratty…r-ubuntu-xrdp-mate-custom

Config is straight forward and this image has mate desktop which I like more than xfce

• xrdp (which is what the remote desktop plugin uses) still uses VNC on the backend. I don't find it anywhere near as good as real rdp on internet connections that are slower speed (slower upload is typical on home connections) and/or higher latency. Out of curiousity, why do you desparately need a desktop on your NAS?

omv 5.6.13 usul | 64 bit | 5.11 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.6.2 | kvm plugin 5.1.6
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• you can try using a docker image

While it is worth a shot, I don't think the plugin is causing this. The plugin requires the version of xrdp from backports. So, it is fairly current.

omv 5.6.13 usul | 64 bit | 5.11 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.6.2 | kvm plugin 5.1.6

• While it is worth a shot, I don't think the plugin is causing this. The plugin requires the version of xrdp from backports. So, it is fairly current.

I used xfce But I dislike that ui so much I just wanted something with mate, I had no problems when I used either the omv plugin or the docker image.

But I did notice sometimes lag, and I blame the unstable internet speed of my ISP it just varies between 200Mbps to 400Mbps on upload speed.

I mainly use desktop from time to time because I am yet to find a file manager with a proper ui :))

• I blame the unstable internet speed of my ISP it just varies between 200Mbps to 400Mbps on upload speed.

If your upload is that fast, xrdp should be fine. My upload is 10mbps even though my download is 200mbps. So, it is painful to use anything but RDP on Windows. I used nx server 3.x back when it was free and it was awesome but nothing else compares.

• If your upload is that fast, xrdp should be fine. My upload is 10mbps even though my download is 200mbps. So, it is painful to use anything but RDP on Windows. I used nx server 3.x back when it was free and it was awesome but nothing else compares.

The internet speed is fast on my server (which is in my home country), while I leave miles a way in the UK where internet speed is not that great :))

• xrdp (which is what the remote desktop plugin uses) still uses VNC on the backend. I don't find it anywhere near as good as real rdp on internet connections that are slower speed (slower upload is typical on home connections) and/or higher latency. Out of curiousity, why do you desparately need a desktop on your NAS?

The desktop should be used for external programs.
    All this should be controlled via Remote Desktop.
    1: Firefox / Chromium
    2: MKV Toolnix GUI.
    3: JDownloader.

I do not have fast internet but it has to be enough for such things.
    I also use a Raspberry Pi with OMV Remote Desktop, which is just connected to the router and works perfectly 100%.
    Here must be another problem.
    Does somebody has any idea?
    Thank you.

• Does somebody has any idea?

I don't have omv on my rockpro64 anymore but remotedesktop was working fine when it was testing it. Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling? What is the output of: dpkg -l | grep xrdp

• Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling?

I am failing in this mistake for days. I am desperate and do not trust myself anymore.
    Please tell me step by step how to install it. To avoid errors.
    I've just completely re-installed omv image.

question: during the installation I have the choice, what is better to choose?

maybe I installed something wrong or did something wrong / forgotten?

• maybe I installed something wrong or did something wrong / forgotten?

First of all, use this image as it already has OMV installed - https://github.com/ayufan-rock…-0.7.11-1075-armhf.img.xz

Then update the system from the updates tab.
    Then install the remotedesktop plugin from the plugins tab.
    And don't worry about the weakref.py error. it is harmless.

• Then update the system from the updates tab.
    Then install the remotedesktop plugin from the plugins tab.

Thank you for your prompt reply

Otherwise, everything must be right as I do!?!
    It has always been like this, when I search for updates via OMV GUI (In Browser) I always get an error message, so I've always done all updates via SSH PuTTY.
    Only after I had corrected the updates error I was able to perform updates via GUI Web Browser.
    Just like here now.
    I will immediately download and install the image.
    What about the openssh server, what's the best way to choose it? [IMG:http://funkyimg.com/i/2PjV3.jpg]

• That is a browser cache issue.

Works with Firefox. What learned new. Thank you.

First of all, use this image as it already has OMV installed - github.com/ayufan-rock64/linux…-0.7.11-1075-armhf.img.xz

I have installed.
    Update via GUI Web Browser.
    Remote Desktop also installed via GUI Web Browser.
    Perfect! Everything works 100% (Until now)
    Why is this image not found at https://sourceforge.net/projec…ngle%20Board%20Computers/
    One more question: How do I fix these mistakes?

Code
    root@rockpro64:~# omv-initsystem
    W: mdadm: /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf defines no arrays.
    W: mdadm: /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf defines no arrays.

I will write if I get more problems.
    ryecoaaron Thank you for your great work, only you helped me.

• Why is this image not found at sourceforge.net/projects/openm…ngle%20Board%20Computers/

Because we don't build it.

• Then install the remotedesktop plugin from the plugins tab.

Hello again,
    After the update / upgrade. No remote desktop connection anymore. :cursing: Black screen, later this>

VNC / tightvncserver works normally / good.
    where is the problem again?
    Many thanks for the support!

• Remote Desktop - xfce4 - is not running because of wrong permissions

Thank you for the answer.
    If I understand correctly, this is a problem in plugin openmediavault-remotedesktop? I can not fix that myself?! And it will take even longer before it's fixed?!
    Then I will wait and hope that it will be ready soon.
    Thank you for the great work.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!