What To Do Before Installing OMV4

• See this:

http://www.tomshardware.com/an…b350m-pro4-wont-post.html

I don't know what the story is as far as the graphics is on your build. But booting the machine with the CMOS reset pins shorted sounds like it's worth trying. Just don't forget to put them back to the normal position.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• See this:

http://www.tomshardware.com/an…b350m-pro4-wont-post.html

I don't know what the story is as far as the graphics is on your build. But booting the machine with the CMOS reset pins shorted sounds like it's worth trying. Just don't forget to put them back to the normal position.

Now, I am getting screwed up.

I read the tomshardware link. There is good merit to it all. However, my processor is an APU where the graphics is supposed to be integrated. I guess I can try what the guy suggested. However, NOTE, I did completely change out the CMOS battery also. Wouldn't that have corrected things the same as shorting the CMOS???

Now . . . I'm the one (like the guy in tomshardware) whose getting a tad stressed over everything. Before reading your post I had just completed a RMA for the ram with NewEgg. Now I don't know what to do. It does seem kinda strange that two sticks of ram would be bad out of the box. I don't know where to turn. I certainly hadn't expected all this to happen.

Thanks, Kai :thumbup:

Current OMV5.3.4-1 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: ASRock AB350Pro4 Mobo, AMD A8-9600 Bristol Ridge Quad-Core 3.1 GHz, 16GB Ram, Kingston A400 120GB SSD, WD Blue 4TB HDD

Backup OMV5 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: Windows 10 Pro 64bit (always latest build) Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz 8GB ram; OMV 5.0-amd64 Linux Debian running virtual via VirtualBox v5.2.22
    DATA Backup - Two sets of identical backups using GoodSync 1-way backup onto 2 external drives.

• I guess it's possible that if you move the RAM around to improper slots it could leave a remnant in the CMOS that would require being cleared.

I have difficulty imagining getting two bad sticks of RAM. You should test them one at a time though.

Put one stick in the proper slot for a one stick configuration, then do the below CMOS clearing.

If it does not boot. Remove the single RAM stick and replace it with the other one.

If it does not post and boot either time, try new RAM, one stick at a time.

Here's how I suggest clearing the CMOS:

Unplug the power supply from the wall outlet.
    Remove the CMOS battery.
    Press the power button and hold for at least 15 seconds.
    Short the CMOS pins for at least 15 seconds.
    Restore the CMOS jumper to the operating position.
    Put the battery back in.
    Plug the power cable back into the wall.
    Turn the machine on and wait a while.
    A good post results in one beep and then the video shows something.

My machine is slow to post. And I mean slooooow. Like a minute and 10 seconds just to see the RAM detected and that is a flash on the screen visible for less than one second - easily missed. And another 30 seconds to get to the grub boot menu. I have no monitor or keyboard on it and I am using remote console serial over LAN viewing to see it. There is no speaker header on the board, so no beeps are possible. I'm patient - I have to be.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Now, I am getting screwed up

(If you've already done the following, ignore it, with the exception of the note regarding the ***APU fan header***. Check that out.)

Since you have it laid out on cardboard:

According to the manual, page 22, a single RAM stick goes in slot A2. I'd go with no keyboard or mouse, no hard drive or CDROM, nothing except a VGA connection with a known good cable to a known good monitor. (Don't use the DVI connector if you can avoid it. There are 4 or 5 different types that may or may not match your cable or adapter.)

From there - see if it posts (and stuff comes up on screen) If not:
    Since you have a verified PS, that leaves the mobo, APU, and 1 stick of ram (installed in slot A2). Since you can swap out 1 stick of ram with the second, I think all would agree that 2 bad sticks of ram would be a fairly rare thing.
    If both sticks fail, I'd verify the numbers on the actual ram sticks, not the packaging. On-line retailers have been known, on occasion, to restock returned items and sell them as new. Those numbers, in a google search, should match the model you purchased.

If that checks out. I'd look closer at the mobo and APU.
    ***I noticed that your Mobo supports RGB lights, which is an unkeyed 4 pin header located near the APU socket. Don't confuse that with the APU fan header. The APU fan header is keyed. I mention this because the 4 pin fan connector might fit onto the RGB header and, since it has 12v, the RGB header might actually spin the fan.**

I would go through your Mobo manual (verify this is the right manual), starting on page 10 - the installation section. Eyeball your APU's pins and use a magnifying glass and a very good light when you do it. Also, verify that there are no cracks or stress lines in the mobo ("stuff" happens in the mail and in a retailers warehouse).

I'm patient - I have to be

I've noticed server grade hardware is slower to boot, but there are extensive options available in BIOS/UEFI that explain the delay. My Intel server has an IP stack, in BIOS, that will answer the network without a functioning boot drive. If a normal boot fails, one can remote into it.

• I've noticed server grade hardware is slower to boot, but there are extensive options available in BIOS/UEFI that explain the delay. My Intel server has an IP stack, in BIOS, that will answer the network without a functioning boot drive. If a normal boot fails, one can remote into it.

As does mine, except it has a separate SoC on the board running Linux AMID05099E0BEBD 2.6.28.10-ami.

--

• Absolutely NOTHING will work.

Both Mobo's results the same. 2 PSU's. Reset CMOS. Breadboard all the time through testing. The minute ram is install everything comes to a halt. I can buy some Corsair Vengence 2400 DDR4 at Best Buy 1 mile away. It is QVL by ASRock. Not sure if I will or not. Hate to buy, try, and then take back because of getting it cheaper online. May scrap everything and just VirtualBox the OMV forever. Hate to, but may be my only route now. Can't lose an arm and a leg financially over a server. I am blown away at all this.

Sure wish William Lee from ASRock were on this forum.

Current OMV5.3.4-1 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: ASRock AB350Pro4 Mobo, AMD A8-9600 Bristol Ridge Quad-Core 3.1 GHz, 16GB Ram, Kingston A400 120GB SSD, WD Blue 4TB HDD

Backup OMV5 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: Windows 10 Pro 64bit (always latest build) Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz 8GB ram; OMV 5.0-amd64 Linux Debian running virtual via VirtualBox v5.2.22
    DATA Backup - Two sets of identical backups using GoodSync 1-way backup onto 2 external drives.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I can buy some Corsair Vengence 2400 DDR4 at Best Buy 1 mile away. It is QVL by ASRock. Not sure if I will or not. Hate to buy, try, and then take back because of getting it cheaper online.

Don't hesitate for a minute to do this. The markup on this stuff, in a box store or on-line, is usually well over 100%. They know people do exactly what you're talking about doing. This is why retail prices are high - they're not losing a dime. (And when they sell them as open box, refurb, or in an auction, they're still making money.)

If the memory works, keep it and RMA the newegg sticks.

• Don't hesitate for a minute to do this. . . .

If the memory works, keep it and RMA the newegg sticks.

Yeah, I've been thinking about it since my post. I think I'll order it online and go get it in a little bit. Thanks flmaxey.

• We have a POST and BIOS!!! First POST let loose with 4 short beeps!

Different ram is the solution. Tried one stick in A2 . . . worked. Then went a second stick in B2 . . . worked. Did a hot plug in of the USB mouse/keyboard dongle . . . worked. Powered on and off three times . . . worked.

I think I'll put 'er in the case and hook it all up and see where I stand at that point. Should be okay though. I vaguely recall, while researching two weeks ago, reviews for GSkill ram where the buyers complained of a similar issue of GSkill marketing incorrect compatibility stats. Looks they they were on to something. The Corsair Vengeance, also on the ASRock AB350 Pro4 QVL memory list, seems to be a no hassle winner.

Much thanks to all your patience as we worked through this. Hope everything works from here on out. On my knees, and, fingers crossed.

• Initial first boot took a long time and then had 4 short beeps. Not sure what took place. Might be something to do with ASRock configuration upon first boot. Every subsequent boot has been 1 beep. OMV4 is all installed and ready to set up shared folders SMB.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Different ram is the solution. Tried one stick in A2 . . . worked. Then went a second stick in B2 . . . worked.

You've succeeded in shaking my confidence in RAM sticks. While G-skill doesn't make their own silicon, they're not known for low end products. Two new bad sticks, that are so screwed that they prevented a POST? Previously, I've never heard of such a thing.

• You've succeeded in shaking my confidence in RAM sticks. While G-skill doesn't make their own silicon, they're not known for low end products. Two new bad sticks, that are so screwed that they prevented a POST? Previously, I've never heard of such a thing.

I was particularly taken aback by the GSkill factor also. I have used them for years. Probably not any more. However, that said, things can go wrong with other brands as well. But the thing that bothers me is I did come across reviews two weeks ago regarding both 2400 and 2133 DDR4 GSkill ram. It was either two or three reviews that stated they had called GSkill, talked to them about misleading Mobo compatibility, and in turn proceeded with another brand in the end. To me that says the ball is possibly being dropped somewhere at GSkill headquarters or manufacturing in recent time. Additionally, circumstance like this thread can not be flippantly solely accredited to mere coincidence (IMO).

• Offizieller Beitrag

I was particularly taken aback by the GSkill factor also. I have used them for years. Probably not any more. However, that said, things can go wrong with other brands as well. But the thing that bothers me is I did come across reviews two weeks ago regarding both 2400 and 2133 DDR4 GSkill ram. It was either two or three reviews that stated they had called GSkill, talked to them about misleading Mobo compatibility, and in turn proceeded with another brand in the end. To me that says the ball is possibly being dropped somewhere at GSkill headquarters or manufacturing in recent time. Additionally, circumstance like this thread can not be flippantly solely accredited to mere coincidence (IMO).

I kinda fell behind on this thread and just read all your issues... geez. I've also used Gskill for a while. Probably time to start using Crucial or Kingston again.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!