Any feed back would be helpful, thankyou in advance. I am new to OMV(newborn yesterday). After mistakenlyviewing TDL's youtube – I was hooked. Have a need. Wow. Absolutelylove the simplicity.
My trouble is deciding which hardwareplatform to use ARM? X86? What I want may not be what I should do or in thought headed towards...given OMV is my goal.
- Centralize all personal documents, photos, videos, SW images.
- Monthly image push (macrium) for pc backup.
- Weekly perform small sized media backup's
- All streaming is from I-net to LAN devices not the NAS.
- single board system, low power
- Boot and run system image from 'fast storage', not usb. Prefer SSD.
- One (1) SATA port (real sata) for SSD to hold content.
- 2GB, 64bit
- HDMI 2.0
- GigE, USB 3
- OMV only
- Case – not important, WiFi – if possible I'll use USB3 w/11ac else wired gigE, and ?
- Home network – all good - GigE wired and 11a/g/ac radiates everywhere.
- For ARM deployment, I am unable to find above requirements. ODROID-HC2 ($60) is about the closest possible. That would make Debian boot/run from eMMC, a UHS-1 card. Wont this make performance bottleneck, just suck under load, during load?
- For x86 deployment, I was able to find ASRock J5005-mini ITX ($120) has all the bells and whistles.
From a technical standpoint, the x86system seems to make more sense.
From a cost standpoint, I could easilypurchase two (2) ARMs and make them redundant. Pri/Sec.
If cost is about the same, it seems thedecision process changes: going with ARM increases reliability butdecreases performance; going with x86 increases performance butdecreases reliability – given roughly the same initial investment.??
In the past, I've always used an eSATA/USB3 cradle to back up “everything”. On top of that, I have dualdrives in every machine everywhere...and unknown bunches of freecloud accounts everywhere. Yep – it's a real headache.
For quick board reference:
To save reading questions posted manytimes before, please comment on hardware direction understanding OMVis the goal and written above is where I'm at. Reply with link toappropriate post or on the web? Many Thanks --