What to do if hardware fail?

• I’m learning OMV with my Raspberry and a HP ML350 gen6 server. In HP I use the array p410 buck for discs.

I didn’t find anything about what to do if I have a hardware fail like motherboard dies.

Probably what I have to do is change the drives to another server?

Thanks for your help.

• the change only works if you use software RAID ( NOT hardware based RAID) <- In this case you need the same RAID Controller in the new motherboard.

• My idea is to mount raid througt OMV

Still you need to get rid of your RAID controller since otherwise you can only continue to use your disks on another machine featuring a compatible hardware RAID controller. So if you really need RAID (I doubt it) ensure that you're using software RAID and that the disk controller does NOT modify partition alignment.

• You have to disable the raid option within the bios on those servers, it's set to use the Embedded Smart Array by default, once you have done that the disks can be set up independently or as a software raid.

Using the same P400 controller?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Mmmm.... probably the best thing is to find a PCI express sata controller (not a RAID)... and connect the disk to there....

Looks like it, is the controller fitted to the drive cage then connected to the board?

Edit: Found the service manual, yes the drive cage has sata backplane connected which will need to be removed.

• I have been working (playing) with the server. I installed a hdd to the SATA MB ports and OMV recognized it. The hd is broken, I know it, and I could’nt format but OMV tried. I think then, that is ok.

I have the operating system running in the original SAS cage throught p400i controller at the momment.

If I use the sas cage as os and install the new hdd’s installed to the SATA MB, I think I could do the software raid. Is it?

Thanks!

• This is the service manual look from page 39 you will have to remove the backplane otherwise any hard drive within the drive cage will plug in to the P400.

Yes. That is no problem for me. The os hard disk can go with the P400. I have anothone cage for 3,5 sata drive. I will remove the backplane and connect directly to MB SATA for the 3,5 disks.

Is it right?

• Well, done!

I have installed 3 3TB HD in RAID on motherboard SATA removing the backplate of my 3,5 cage. (HP says that is the maximum disk capacity I can install for disk)

One of my SAS disk is system disk trought the P400i array and the other SAS I want to us it as a System backup.

After near 9 hour of mount, all seems is ok.

Thanks!

• Which 'RAID'? And what is the purpose of this setup?

Hi tkaiser.

I’m new in servers and NAS world. I’m autodidact I think as most of the people of this forum.

I have a lot of personal information like photos, music, videos in various hd. These are my masters and backups.

I wanted a system to share them with family and other kind of files have, accessible if I’m out of home.

In the other hand, I have my 3d printing company. We use Solidworks for the projects and we work with box.com to store and share with other members. Also we give 3d printing courses with videos and other kind of material. In this case, I want the server to store the clients projects which we are not working at the moment but I want to access them online if I’m not in office in case I need them.

This first server is designed to first backup and access to company files and my intention is have external hd to backup these important files.

Other projects I have in mind with the server is have homeassistant for domotics projects and other things.

When I started to learning about NAS, Synology, Qnap systems everybody recomends RAID systems. In OMV the same. Why I use RAID? Well, as I have readed in forums is a way to have a large capacity hd and protected if one of them cracks. I know that is not a backup system. Is a way of not loosing all the information at the same time and have to start again even if I have all the information in my backup disks.

All this things that I try, I’ve done it with raspberry for learning, and having them in the same server as you can do in synology, qnap or OMV is for me a good way.

My RAID is RAID 5 and the purpuse of this setup is that my server is 10 years old, it cost me 230€ and the vendor gave me, one server in good condition (is one I use), another one, the same model with the power supply exchanger (I don’t know how to say it in english) malfunctioning, one 3,5 cage, 2 array cache 250mb for array p400i (the batteries are out) and 2 external array p410. I took the memory and the processor of the bad server and put in in the good one. I don’t know how long will live this server...

I want to learn more about servers and I think this is a good way to start. Then, the information in the server is not critical as I have it in backups.

In other post you dubted if I need a RAID. Which other options do you recomend to do this? I’m open to learn.

Thanks

• as I have readed in forums is a way to have a large capacity hd and protected if one of them cracks

You'll find thousands of blog posts on the Internet telling you RAID would result in data protection. It's not. It's always just data availability or 'business continuity'.

RAID is an anachronistic concept for businesses, 2 decades ago it was basic requirement to use a bunch of disks. It requires constant testing and implementing a separate and also tested backup strategy. It was made for drives with way lower capacities (human beings hate being confronted with math but here you go)

What has changed?

Today everybody plays RAID for no other reason than HDDs being cheap, it seems easy to set RAID up and users feel being protected by some sort of redundancy. RAID users today usually don't have a separate backup, don't test and are not aware that today's drive capacities turn the whole concept into something rather silly. With such preconditions RAID becomes a dangerous way to loose data (as can be seen in this forum where every other day someone reports the loss of whole arrays).

As already written in this thread: be careful with setting up a RAID behind a hardware RAID controller even if it's a software RAID. Those HW RAID controllers usually/often change drive geometry and then chances are great that the disks when moved behind another controller in a spare machine won't work the way they should (that's the 'testing' part I mentioned above).

Addendum: Low power home-made NAS or QNAP / Synology ?

• well, my fist question in the post was about if the server crash. Then the users said the best thing is make a software raid than a hardware raid. That is what I made. 3 disks connected to the motherboard sata ports and Raid 5 is made with OMV. The 2 SAS disks in p400i array are raid 0. One of them is the system disk.

Then if I have all backupdated with external disks, what do you recomend?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!