How To - Shared Folder from Root Level?

• Hi,

I'm just setting up my OMV install for the first time. I have created a RAID with 3 x 2TB drives and I've also got a 2TB NTFS disk installed.

I need to transfer the contents of the NTFS 2TB over to the RAID partition, before wiping it and growing the RAID to include it.

The problem I have is that all my media is stored on the root of the NTFS drive, but when creating a shared folder you have to specify or create a folder on the disk.
    This means I cannot access the media on the drive.

Is there a way to share the disk from the root level rather than from folder level???

Otherwise, I'm going to have to remove the disk and re-attach to another computer just so I can move all the media into a folder.....

Cheers,
    Kudos

• Hi,

Welcome on board ;)

Unfortunatly for you, OMV is not designed to share disks from the root level. I think the best way to go for you is your second choice.

Greetings

Lian Li PC-V354 (with Be Quiet! Silent Wings 3 fans)
    ASRock Rack x470D4U | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Crucial 16GB DDR4 2666MHz ECC | Intel x550T2 10Gb NIC

1 x ADATA 8200 Pro 256MB NVMe for System/Caches/Logs/Downloads
    5 x Western Digital 10To HDD in RAID 6 for Datas
    1 x Western Digital 2To HDD for Backups

Powered by OMV v5.6.26 & Linux kernel 5.10.x

• root level would be the drive where you OMV is stored. In this case your additional drive is not root level.
    I don't know if OMV does NTFS properly.
    You can acces (and copy) mounted drives over ssh without sharing it.
    Install Midnight Commander if you need to have a little GUI.
    I personally would run it trough a windows machine to be on the save side.

• Thanks guys,

I did go for the second option in the end.

Does anyone know when the whole MiniDLNA plugin issue will be fixed?

The plugin doesn't work with the latest version of OMV x.17 and I can't get version x.24 to show for install with omv-plugins.org no matter what I try. It keeps showing x.23 static 4.

Cheers,
    Kudos

• I have to disagree. It is possible to share a drive at root level. When adding a share you should choose a backslash for path: '/'. This gives you the entire disk.
    Hope this helps.

Wizrd.

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers.
    The only stupid question is the question that is never asked.

• Zitat von "Wizrd"

I have to disagree. It is possible to share a drive at root level. When adding a share you should choose a backslash for path: '/'. This gives you the entire disk.
    Hope this helps.

Wizrd.

I was about to say the same thing, then i read your post.
    Took me a bit of fiddling to figure out sharing drives and folders in a windows environment.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!