engined won't start after openmediavault-backup installation triggered other package-upgrades

• Hi,

first of all, if you feel this belongs in the 'Updates/Upgrades'-section, please let me know or move it.

Now, to my Problem:

i've been running openmediavault:all=3.0.7 on my HP Proliant N54L for a while now, no issues. had omv-extras installed, and today, i wanted to install openmediavault-backup, in order to create a backup of my system drive before i was going to make some changes. turns out, that already broke it....

from logs i can see that the installation triggered the upgrade of several other packages:

python-ldb, python-samba, samba, samba-common-bin, samba-common, samba-dsdb-modules, samba-libs, libldb1, openmediavault
    were all upgraded.

After the new webinterface login-page greeted me, i couldn't log in. skipping a bit here:
    turns out, openmediavault-engined.service isn't starting anymore: systemctl status openmediavault-engined.service -l

● openmediavault-engined.service - The OpenMediaVault engine daemon that processes the RPC request
    Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/openmediavault-engined.service; enabled)
    Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Wed 2019-02-06 20:58:17 CET; 17s ago
    Process: 2223 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/omv-engined (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    Main PID: 2225 (code=exited, status=255)

Feb 06 20:58:17 host systemd[1]: openmediavault-engined.service: Supervising process 2225 which is not our child. We'll most likely not notice when it exits.
    Feb 06 20:58:17 host systemd[1]: openmediavault-engined.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=255/n/a
    Feb 06 20:58:17 host systemd[1]: Unit openmediavault-engined.service entered failed state.

openmediavault-service also has issues: systemctl status openmediavault

openmediavault.service - LSB: Basic initialization of the OpenMediaVault system
    Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/openmediavault)
    Active: active (exited) since Wed 2019-02-06 20:24:10 CET; 32min ago
    Process: 418 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/openmediavault start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Feb 06 20:24:10 host openmediavault[418]: Cleaning up...rm: cannot remove ‘/var/lib/php5/modules’: Is a directory
    Feb 06 20:24:10 host openmediavault[418]: rm: cannot remove ‘/var/lib/php5/sessions’: Is a directory
    Feb 06 20:24:10 host openmediavault[418]: failed.

? Why is it trying to remove the sessions and modules folders? is it safe to do so? should i 'help' a bit? :)

when checking omv-engined -f -d i get at the very bottom of the output:

PHP Fatal error: require_once(): Failed opening required 'openmediavault/object.inc' (include_path='.:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear') in /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/clamav.inc on line 22

object.inc is indeed missing

My first attempts to fix this were revolving around rolling back the upgraded packages, but that didn't work, because the dry-run indicated it wasn' t going to find some of the 'old' package versions anymore.

This led me to discover that apparently i had some sources in my apt list files which weren't working anymore. particularly the ones in the omv-extras-org-erasmus.list made problems, but also some local debian jessie mirror i had used during initial setup wasn't hosting all packages anymore. i've fixed my sources.list* files (i believe, not taking into account the omv-extras), and i've reinstalled latest omv-extras via wget -O - http://omv-extras.org/install | bash

So, i've currently got two thoughts about what went wrong:

hypothesis One:

the way the installation of the backups-plugin was triggered, combined with possible apt-repo unavailabilities, caused the system to force-install incompatible package-versions:

/var/log/apt/history.log:3:Commandline: apt-get --yes --force-yes --fix-missing --allow-unauthenticated --reinstall install openmediavault-backup

hypothesis Two:

openmediavault 3.0.99 somehow doesn't run on my hardware anymore

I'm running out of ideas how to proceed with recovery, so please, anyone, any hints?

• Offizieller Beitrag

The backup plugin didn't cause this. Installing anything probably would have caused it. You really should upgrade to OMV 4.x but what is the output of: dpkg -l | grep openm

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks for replying. here's the output:

ii openmediavault 3.0.99 all Open network attached storage solution
    ii openmediavault-backup 3.4 all backup plugin for OpenMediaVault.
    ii openmediavault-clamav 3.0.1 all OpenMediaVault ClamAV plugin
    ii openmediavault-keyring 0.4 all GnuPG archive keys of the OpenMediaVault archive
    ii openmediavault-omvextrasorg 3.4.32 all OMV-Extras.org Package Repositories for OpenMediaVault

as a alternative, i've:

• detached all storage-drives
    • replaced the system-ssd (broken omv 3.0.99) with a empty hdd
    • installed fresh omv 4.x

Until now i've only checked that its reachable via http, login is possible, ssh-login too.

i wouldn't mind re-configuring this fresh system, as long as it's safe to just reattach my storage-disks...
    Its 2x 3Tb WD Red in Raid 1. stupid question, but: is it safe to power down the system, plug the two storage disks back in, and have them re-discovered by the 'new' OMV? Does it depend on the way the Raid was configured? i think it goes without saying, but i don't want the data on the raid to be lost, or the raid to go into some kind of automatic, unneccessary rebuild...

any help appreciated

• Offizieller Beitrag

is it safe to power down the system, plug the two storage disks back in, and have them re-discovered by the 'new' OMV?

Yes

Does it depend on the way the Raid was configured?

No

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!