New disks not recognized

• Hi all,

today I setup my OpenMediaVault Dell T30 server. As the OMV master ssd I'm using a Samsung 860 evo. Installation was successful and I'm reaching OMV via WebUi.

The next step was to add two new 8 TB WD disks. I neither can see them via putty with command fdisk -l:

Then I thought I tried it via OMV WebUi "Disks" -> "Scan", but also at that point only the Samsung disk was found.

Since the disks are new I expect them to work and I'm quite sure, they are plugged in correctly to the power and to the data cable. Is there a way to find them anyway on the system?

A strange thing(?) is also, that I always get the message at boot, that the cover of the server was opened since the last boot - even if I restart it several times without opening the cover.

Thanks and kind regards,

Felix

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is there a way to find them anyway on the system?

Check the bios, if the bios sees them, then the OS will and vice versa

A strange thing(?) is also, that I always get the message at boot, that the cover of the server was opened since the last boot - even if I restart it several times without opening the cover.

Seen that before, just ignore it, but OMV is mean't to be run headless so you wouldn't see any errors :)

• Good Morning geaves,

thanks for your response.

Check the bios, if the bios sees them, then the OS will and vice versa

That's a good hint, I'll do so, thank you.

Seen that before, just ignore it, but OMV is mean't to be run headless so you wouldn't see any errors :)

It's not so a big issue for me at the moment, but I want to run the server not all of the day, but only when I'm at home. Therefore I want my openhabian2 raspberry pi to check, if my smartphone is at home. In case it is, it shall wake up the server on lan. I have to check if it then already is at a point, where the services,... of OMV can be used.
    But if I get you right you say, this is no message that comes from OMV, as it runs headless?!

• Offizieller Beitrag

That's a good hint, I'll do so, thank you.

Have found the manual it appears that there maybe two settings that you have to change.

Boot List Options: I would set this to legacy
    SATA Operation: default setting is Raid ON, I would set this to AHCI

If your Samsung Evo is connected to one of the SATA ports and you have made no changes then the above 2 options are set it would explain why OMV does not see the drives.
    Changing either of those or both 'may' prevent OMV from starting, I say may, you will not know until you make any changes to the bios.

• Thanks once again. That's great help I never found this out on my own! I'll check the manual you linked and the params you mentioned trying to understand, why this should be done,...

Additionally I'll set these two params and then I'll see, if it's still able to boot or not. Otherwise I set them to their defaults, again.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Otherwise I set them to their defaults, again.

Option 1 you may be able to leave alone, but Option 2 will need changing to AHCI, otherwise you have to use the onboard software to add the two disks, but this would be presented to OMV as a single hard drive! Something you do not want to do.

If Option 2 is set to Raid ON this would explain why OMV cannot see them.

• Good Morning,

a short info regarding my problem: Yesterday in the evening I changed the BIOS setting "SATA Operation" to "AHCI". The "Boot List Options" was already set to "legacy".

What a pitty, this didn't make it and when I check the drives within the BIOS, it says SATA1 = empty or none, SATA2 = ... Only one SATA seems to be detected as connected and that's with the DVD drive.

My next step will be, that I connect both drives with an external USB interface and directly add them to the USB port of my windows computer, so I at least see, if they are detected,... Because they are new (I unboxed them and immediately plugged them into the T30), I don't think both are damaged.

I bought the T30 second-hand (even if the seller said, he never used but only bought it), I'll also reset the BIOS settings to default, perhaps the first owner changed anything. This idea came just some minutes ago, so I didn't try that out, yet.

Thanks once again for your help!

• Offizieller Beitrag

The fact that those settings were changed within the BIOS would imply the machine had been used, the second setting in particular as the default setting for that is RAID.

Testing the drives via a usb even though they are new makes sense at least you can confirm the drives are working.

With reference to the drives not being seen in the BIOS; Faulty controller ports, SATA Cables, Power connections. One option might be is to use the DVD port to test the drives and use the DVD to test the functionality of the other ports.
    Boards are usually set up as SATA 0 1 2 3 etc with the DVD being plugged into SATA 0.

Resetting to defaults would not be something I would recommend especially option 2 as this will initiate RAID, changing option 1 would prevent the Samsung from booting.

• Hello geaves,

sorry for my late response. I tried all the possible solutions from using the DVD cables (which was quite a bad idea, because they have another size then the one I need and it's sooooo incredible hard to plug them in again without having to destruct the whole DVD / HDD enclosure -> I still have to do ;)). The hard drives work,...

What I found out after quite a long time of searching is, that newer hard drives have a 3.3 V power disable feature pin. Because older plugs do not respect it and power pin number 3 (the power disable feature pin) with 3.3 V, the hard drives are always disabled... I didn't really understand what this shall be good for neither how it can be used for controlling the hard drive, if newer plugs do not have these 3.3 V, but I still accept it.

As a solution I found, that I just can tape the pin with duct tape and then it should work. I had no time to try it, but I'm quite sure, that this solves the biggest problems and hope, the drives are recognized, then at least by the bios.

• Offizieller Beitrag

newer hard drives have a 3.3 V power disable feature pin

As a solution I found, that I just can tape the pin with duct tape and then it should work.

Here's a better way of doing it, and would save messing with tape, + that's something I've learn't :)

• Hello geaves,

thanks a lot, I read this article first and that was my starting point. I also read that power adapters with four wires / without 3.3 V lead to massive problems and some wrote, they started burning / melting. That was, what I read googling for the problem.

I used isolation tape and for me this worked. Both drives are now recognized in BIOS and on the OMV web ui. Great! I'm lucky.

One more question: When I create a "Mirror" RAID first of all for the two 8 TB disks, can I remove it easily and just run both in parallel, so I can use the 8 TB of each disks (16 TB all together)? Or would I lose data, when I afterwards remove the Mirror again?

I currently do not need the full 16 TB, but I fear the time will come.

Thanks a lot for your great help!

• I also read that power adapters with four wires / without 3.3 V lead to massive problems and some wrote, they started burning / melting. That was, what I read googling for the problem.

I've been using four lead molex adapters and connectors in PCs for more than 30 years and have had zero problems.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

When I create a "Mirror" RAID first of all for the two 8 TB disks, can I remove it easily and just run both in parallel, so I can use the 8 TB of each disks (16 TB all together)?

Short answer.....NO, you'll need to wipe both drives and start again, if you search the forum there are a number of users that are moving to the likes of the Odroid HC2 and in some cases using 2, one as a main omv and the other backing up the first.

A Raid 1 would give you 8TB of space, an alternative would be to use a single data drive and the other as an rsync or rsnapshot drive, the second drive could then be 'powered down' until the relevant rsync or rsnapshot job was called.

The other option is to use ZFS and set up a ZMirror, I've no experience of this but I know a man that has :)

• I've been using four lead molex adapters and connectors in PCs for more than 30 years and have had zero problems.

Thanks. I was also wondering how / why the adapters could burn, but as I read it several times I supposed it to me true in some cases. But when you tell it's working for you for so long time, now, that sounds good. In case there is any trouble with my taped pin, I would switch to your adapter.

Short answer.....NO, you'll need to wipe both drives and start again, if you search the forum there are a number of users that are moving to the likes of the Odroid HC2 and in some cases using 2, one as a main omv and the other backing up the first.
    A Raid 1 would give you 8TB of space, an alternative would be to use a single data drive and the other as an rsync or rsnapshot drive, the second drive could then be 'powered down' until the relevant rsync or rsnapshot job was called.

The other option is to use ZFS and set up a ZMirror, I've no experience of this but I know a man that has :)

Thanks. The rsync option sounds quite good and would then also give me the possibility to just drop the sync as soon I would need the whole capacity.

After vacation I have to get deeper into that topic and OMV. Now I could start because the disks are working but I'm going on vacation... :D

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!