Once again, changing File System label--"Unmount" Grayed Out

• I started out thinking I could just wipe the disk, and then set it up again and mount it with a new File System. However, I am not allowed to do this, nor to unmount it.

I don't actually need to wipe the drive if I can just change the name of the file system. I found the following post by macom, Feb 9th 2019, in:

Rename partition label

"If you want to change the file system label the cleanest procedure should be:

1. remove all shares on that file system from the services
    2. remove the shares on that file system (only the share, not the content!!!)
    3. un-mount the file system
    4. change the file system label via CLI
    5. mount the file system with the new name
    6. create the shared folders
    7. add the shared folders to the services

All steps except #4 to be performed in the GUI of OMV. You should really not change config.xml or fstab unless you really know what you are doing."

However, I cannot see how to remove all shares on that file system from the services. Not sure--should I just try to do this in Windows networking? Seems like I am missing where to do this in the GUI. ...I haven't gotten to using CLI yet, and don't know if I will run into trouble with that, but I need to get through steps 1, 2 & 3 first. I think I should be able to figure it out.

For example, I checked under Access Rights Management/Shared Folders, "delete" is greyed out on the folder I want to delete. Where else is this referenced that I would be able to delete?
    ---

BTW, when I tried to Wipe the disk, I got the following error messages:

EROOR MESSAGE:

Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; blockdev --rereadpt '/dev/sdd' 2>&1' with exit code '1': BLKRRPART: Device or resource busy

DETAILS:

Error #0:
    exception 'OMV\ExecException' with message 'Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; blockdev --rereadpt '/dev/sdd' 2>&1' with exit code '1': BLKRRPART: Device or resource busy' in /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/diskmgmt.inc:265
    Stack trace:
    #0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(528): OMVRpcServiceDiskMgmt->{closure}('/tmp/bgstatusB3...', '/tmp/bgoutputXd...')
    #1 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/diskmgmt.inc(269): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->execBgProc(Object(Closure))
    #2 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceDiskMgmt->wipe(Array, Array)
    #3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(124): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #4 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('wipe', Array, Array)
    #5 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(536): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('DiskMgmt', 'wipe', Array, Array, 1)
    #6 {main}

• Offizieller Beitrag

I checked under Access Rights Management/Shared Folders, "delete" is greyed out on the folder I want to delete. Where else is this referenced that I would be able to delete?

In this view and in the column "Referenced" is there a yes?

If there is a yes, that means one of the services (SMV/CIFS, rsync etc) is using this share. You first have to remove the share from this service.

If cannot figure out which service it is, install the resetperms-plugin. Is a feature to view plugins that are using each shared folder.

• Thanks for the assistance. Yes, there IS a YES indicating the drive is Referenced. I figured that was the problem, but wasn't sure how to remove this. I have gone to SMB/CIFS and disabled SMB for that drive. However, that has not yet removed the YES reference.

At one point I created a user(which I thought I needed for rsync), and that User now shows under Shared Folder Privileges in Access RIghts Management, even though none of the boxes are checked for Read-Write, Read Only or No Access. I don't see how to remove the User from that disk. Should I delete that User altogether? Also, under SMB Edit Share, the share is no longer enabled. However, there is a Shared Folder Path still showing there, even though it is not enabled. Can I delete that path, and will it help if that line is blank?

I do see that this disk is now gone from Windows Networking. I had created some sub-folders from within Window on the drives, which I wondered if I needed to delete there first, but since the shared disk is gone now, I guess that is not going to matter. It looks like I am almost there. Which of the above share features matter at this point?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thanks for the assistance. Yes, there IS a YES indicating the drive is Referenced. I figured that was the problem, but wasn't sure how to remove this. I have gone to SMB/CIFS and disabled SMB for that drive. However, that has not yet removed the YES reference.

At one point I created a user(which I thought I needed for rsync), and that User now shows under Shared Folder Privileges in Access RIghts Management, even though none of the boxes are checked for Read-Write, Read Only or No Access. I don't see how to remove the User from that disk. Should I delete that User altogether? Also, under SMB Edit Share, the share is no longer enabled. However, there is a Shared Folder Path still showing there, even though it is not enabled. Can I delete that path, and will it help if that line is blank?

I do see that this disk is now gone from Windows Networking. I had created some sub-folders from within Window on the drives, which I wondered if I needed to delete there first, but since the shared disk is gone now, I guess that is not going to matter. It looks like I am almost there. Which of the above share features matter at this point?

You have to actually delete the share in the SMB settings, not just disable the service. That's why it says "Referenced" not "In Use".

The disk is gone from Windows Networking because you disabled SMB.

• Okay, good, now in Storage/File Systems it says the disk is Unmounted (though I didn't do anything actively to change the mount status.) I guess this unmounted it. HOWEVER, it still says YES under referenced, and the file status is "Missing". It still has the old name listed as part of the "Devices" description. It says, "/dev/disk/by-label/[old name]. So the old file system name has not disappeared.

Could I now go and change the label somewhere? I guess I cannot wipe the disk since it is still referenced. It is still listed under Access Rights Management/Shared Folders with the old path [Label}. Can I just change the label name there? According to an earlier post by Macon, I may need to use CLI to change the file system label. I think I may have used CLI once. If this is necessary, where should I go to find out how to do this?

Since this label was previously associated with the SSH group, should I remove that link from the User I created?

• The share I am trying to change or delete, is listed in Access Rights Management/shared folders as "/dev/disk/by-label/[old name]", referenced YES. If I click on Edit, the device that is listed is not like the other shared folders, which identify the disk. This one just has a number under Device, with a long series of numbers and letters. But the path is still listed as the old label name. Privileges shows the User account I created, but no box is checked. (Read-Write, Read-only, No access.)

• After a lot of googling and looking on the Forum, I was able to install the resetperms plugin. This is the first plugin I have installed, and I have never used any of them that I know of. Where do I go, what do I now to use the resetperms plugin? It's not obvious, and a lot of searching has not led me to what to do to use it.

• Thanks once again to @ryecoaaron, who wrote the line in a post: "Install the openmediavault-resetperms plugin and it will add a tab - Access Rights Management -> Shared Folders -> Shared Folders in Use. It will show you where it is being referenced." It was amazing to me that this is the only place I found (on my 5th or 6th attempt at searching) which explained where this plugin would appear. Seems like there should be some kind of paper on installation and use of the plugins, and an index about where to find plugins once they are installed.

A Reset Permissions tab was indeed added there. I also see "Shared Folder in Use" which I am not sure whether that is a new tab or not, but seems like it might be new, because there is now info about what each Shared Folder is In Use By.

When I select the Reset Permissions tab, select the folder in question, and ask to Reset Permissions, I get the following message:

Changing owner to root:users ...
    chown: cannot access '/srv/dev-disk-by-label-databackup/DataBackup': No such file or directory
    Done...

This is essentially what I was already told, but I don't see how to remove the reference if this will not do it. It could be that the sequence in which I stumbled through, trying to remove references, might have screwed up the label?

Under "Shared Folder In Use" -- The folder is listed with "config/system/sharedfolder", "config/system/usermanagement/homedirectory", and then also added the second time I looked at this Tab: "config/system/resetperms".

Any thoughts how to proceed from here?

• Offizieller Beitrag

It was amazing to me that this is the only place I found (on my 5th or 6th attempt at searching) which explained where this plugin would appear. Seems like there should be some kind of paper on installation and use of the plugins, and an index about where to find plugins once they are installed.

This is the only plugin that adds a tab to another plugin. Not sure where this would be documented because that location would probably be difficult to find if you didn't know what to search for. A map would be hard to maintain and I don't think there are that many tabs that one can't look through them all.

I also see "Shared Folder in Use" which I am not sure whether that is a new tab or not, but seems like it might be new, because there is now info about what each Shared Folder is In Use By.

This tab is also added by the resetperms plugin.

This is essentially what I was already told, but I don't see how to remove the reference if this will not do it. It could be that the sequence in which I stumbled through, trying to remove references, might have screwed up the label?

Under "Shared Folder In Use" -- The folder is listed with "config/system/sharedfolder", "config/system/usermanagement/homedirectory", and then also added the second time I looked at this Tab: "config/system/resetperms".

Any thoughts how to proceed from here?

The resetperms plugin won't create a missing directory for a sharedfolder. The shared folder in use tab gives you the info you need. You need to set the shared folder to something else or none in Access Rights Management -> Users -> Settings -> Location.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• As ryecoaaron directed, I reset the shared folder to another shared folder in Access Rights Management -> Users -> Settings -> Location. (I was not able to select None.)

I was able to give it a new Relative Path in my attempt to re-label the shared folder, but the name and the Device name remain: /dev/disk/by-label/databackup, and of course it is still "Referenced". It's still listed in Shared Folders In Use with "config/system/sharedfolder"

In the course of changing the Relative Path, I got the message:
    "Do you really want to relocate the shared folder? The content of the shared folder will not be moved automatically. You have to do this yourself."
    Of course, changing the Relative Path is no benefit if the Label and Device name remain the same.

I also tried to change permissions twice. I forgot to copy the first message, which seemed more like an error message, but the second time I did this, I got the message:
    "Clearing ACLs ...
    Changing owner to root:users ...
    Change directory permissions to 2775 ...
    Change file permissions to 664 ...
    Done...

New Thought[/u]: I am wondering if could just shut the NAS down, disconnect the disk I'm concerned with, and wipe it via another system (reformat it), then plug it back into the NAS and set it up again as a new disk. Perhpas OMV setup will recognize the disk anyway and try to set it up as it was before??? Or will this eliminate the prior setup info?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm assuming you've figured this out by now... but it would seem the answer is right there in Bold.

Click on Access Rights Management/Users
    Click the Settings Tab
    Change the Drop down Location to "None"
    Turn the green switch for Home directories Off
    Save

You should be able to delete your share now.

• Thanks @'KM0201. I think I did ask before about doing this. After doing so, the device still appears in other places. For example, under File Systems, it still appears as an ext4 device, but with no label, and the status is "Missing". Mounted says "No", but under "referenced" it still says "Yes." Though it is not mounted, it IS still referenced.

Under Physical disks, it looked like the disk could be "Wiped". However, doing so appeared to have no real effect. The disk still appears in all the same places, and is still referenced. The option to Wipe it again is still there, and there is no option to ADD a new disk.

I'd like to return to my "New Thought" from my last message. A few searches seemed to me to indicate that just removing the disk from the system and reformatting it might help. However, I don't know what that does with any flags or indicators that are left over in the OMV system. Can anyone tell me whether this should work?

"New Thought: I am wondering if could just shut the NAS down, disconnect the disk I'm concerned with, and wipe it via another system (reformat it), then plug it back into the NAS and set it up again as a new disk. Perhpas OMV setup will recognize the disk anyway and try to set it up as it was before??? Or will this eliminate the prior setup info?"

• I shut the NAS down, and disconnected the disk in question. OMV has no way to see the disk, as there is no SATA connection to it, yet the disk is still listed in the File System ("By-label"), it's status is the same: Missing--and it is still referenced--"Yes".

I feel I have made myself a Royal PITA with this. The comments I've gotten are not working out, and most have just given up commenting, I guess. I suppose my next step is to reinstall OMV, and see what happens with that. I'll wipe the one disk first, and see if the OS will pick up the other disks as they were.

I have another issue to consider, which I may post separately. When I did the current installation, I could not get OMV 4.x to work with my equipment--hence I've been using 3.x. I wonder if there is any reason I could get 4.x to work now.

• Offizieller Beitrag

OMV has no way to see the disk, as there is no SATA connection to it, yet the disk is still listed in the File System ("By-label"), it's status is the same: Missing--and it is still referenced--"Yes".

It will you have remove any references first, SMB, Shares in that order, then you should be able to remove the drive under filesystems, or simply wipe the drive and start again, whatever you do you have go about things in the reverse order you set them up.

• Well feloow MPPurcel, to get into bloodstrem of OMV, u need to learn on u`r own mistakes - as i did (till today i did 3 times reinstall a and all that becouse of my beginners steps/errors).

1.At install disconnect all other hdd`s to prevent erasing one of other hdd`s.
    2.There is no "upgrade" from v3 to v4. ONLY fresh install !!!

To get more of any info, advice to look a videos from "TechnoDadLife" about rsync 4example:

Installation and Setup Videos - Beginning, Intermediate and Advanced

• Offizieller Beitrag

There is no "upgrade" from v3 to v4. ONLY fresh install !!!

Nope. There is an upgrade path. However, you need to remove all plugins that are not supported in OMV 4 before you upgrade.
    Worked for me and for many others.
    omv-release-upgrade

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!