Installation over wifi

• Hello,
    i have a little question. I see that to install omv on my odroid hc2 i need to connect it to my router via ethernet cable and then find the ip of the odroid hc2 and login.

But what if i can not connect the odroid hc2 to the router? Can i perform everything via wifi connecting an antenna to the odroid? How can i connect to the right network and insert its password?

Thanks in advance!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think you MUST use ethernet to install OMV on a HC2. And to configure it after the install. You may then be able to use some USB-attached wifi adapter, but I don't think that is not possible during install.

But if you have a USB-attached wifi adapter AND a totally unencrypted wide open wifi network without any password protection it couldn't hurt to try. See what happens. Just don't expect it to work.

You could use a small GL-Inet travel router and configure that as an access point to the wifi network.

https://www.gl-inet.com/products/gl-ar150/

I use a couple of those, but the other way around. To connect wifi stuff to my cabled network. But you can configure them to connect almost anything to almost anything. As long as it is 2,4 GHz wifi and/or ethernet.

• But what if i can not connect the odroid hc2 to the router?

Then go to a friend, neighbor or whoever to install it there. The HC2 has no Wi-Fi so you can not just 'connect an antenna' but would need a supported USB dongle. This involves driver support and setting up a connection. If you're an expert and have a second Linux box you can prepare this (ensuring driver support and throwing a wireless profile into /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/) but as a beginner simply move your HC2 next to some router to do first steps there.

then find the ip of the odroid hc2 and login

Why should DNS not work? Simply use http://odroidxu4 to access the device.

• Or... Turn your PC into a temporary router. Connect HC2 directly to your PC via cable and PC via wifi to the internet if you do not have a second eth or switch.

Or... Perhaps somebody will be so good and prepare you an image of already installed omv on hc2 with the appropriate driver for the wifi card, and the set wifi interface. Then all you have to do is burn out the image on the SD card and it's ready.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Or... Turn your PC into a temporary router. Connect HC2 directly to your PC via cable and PC via wifi to the internet if you do not have a second eth or switch.

Or... Perhaps somebody will be so good and prepare you an image of already installed omv on hc2 with the appropriate driver for the wifi card, and the set wifi interface. Then all you have to do is burn out the image on the SD card and it's ready.

I was actually wondering this myself. I'm strongly considering an HC2 build and making a remote syncthing or rsync server for my NAS.. and will probably put it at either my parents or my sister's house. This would make my offsite backup solution way easier (which right now involves keeping an external at my Mom's). My parents have a wireless cable modem/router, but it has no ports on it, so everything is wireless. I was wondering if I set it up with their network protocols here at my place then took it over there and powered it on, if it would auto connect. I'm assuming it would.

If I put it at my sisters, I can use cat6. The other benefit is, she asks me for movies, shares family pics, etc.. a lot with me. I just set up an FTP so she could upload/download from my NAS ... I figure I could set up an SMB share as well, and then put Kodi on a Firestick, and point it at the SMB share. This has an added benefit as sometimes it's movies her teen sons have asked for and being able to watch files on TV rather than a computer.

• I was actually wondering this myself. I'm strongly considering an HC2 build and making a remote syncthing or rsync server for my NAS.. and will probably put it at either my parents or my sister's house. This would make my offsite backup solution way easier (which right now involves keeping an external at my Mom's). My parents have a wireless cable modem/router, but it has no ports on it, so everything is wireless. I was wondering if I set it up with their network protocols here at my place then took it over there and powered it on, if it would auto connect. I'm assuming it would.
    If I put it at my sisters, I can use cat6. The other benefit is, she asks me for movies, shares family pics, etc.. a lot with me. I just set up an FTP so she could upload/download from my NAS ... I figure I could set up an SMB share as well, and then put Kodi on a Firestick, and point it at the SMB share. This has an added benefit as sometimes it's movies her teen sons have asked for and being able to watch files on TV rather than a computer.

I do not see a problem why it would not connect.

You would have to set up the wifi card interface as always the first, so that omv will always use it right after the start.
    Add to this the appropriate ssid and password for this wifi network. And everything will connect to the network at startup if there is dhcp and if not ... then static entries.

However, the issue is access to this hc2 from the Internet. You have to redirect ports or give dmz for holy peace.
    The problem may be if for some reason the router does not allow for changes, you can stubbornly do it with outgoing traffic and intercept it on some external server (bare metal / vps).

I do not have hc2 but I tested hc1 with a normal wifi card on usb and I had no problems.
    You can call this project a mysterious black box ;)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Setting up the ports will be no problem. I've done that sort of thing many times.

• Thank you all for the informations! Yes i think i'll have to connect directly to a router for the install/config.

What about after setup is complete? I can not buy a generic wifi usb antenna and connect it to the odroid hc2? I need to find a compatible one?

Thanks again!!!

• I can not buy a generic wifi usb antenna and connect it to the odroid hc2? I need to find a compatible one?

Yep. It's always a driver/kernel thing and situation with x86 and ARM differs here unfortunately. Simply check the devices/chipsets listed at the bottom here: https://www.armbian.com/odroid-hc1/

• Thank you all for the informations! Yes i think i'll have to connect directly to a router for the install/config.

What about after setup is complete? I can not buy a generic wifi usb antenna and connect it to the odroid hc2? I need to find a compatible one?

Odroid HC2 / 1 does not have an integrated wifi card. You can always buy something cheap on usb. I have tested cheap TPLINK like Archer T2U Nano, TL-WN821N, TL-WN725N work without any problems. Debian detects and has drivers, OMV allows you to add a new interface with these cards. It does not require any tinkering.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you order from Ameridroid (I'm assuming you're in the US, but they ship anywhere)... They have a USB wireless device on their website. From what I've read it's plug n play with the HC2. I ordered it since I'm not sure if I'll need it or not, but it was less than $10 if I decide I'll need it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well... I got my HC2 today...

This is the SBC I should have bought in the beginning for my remote server idea.

I had put armbian on my sdcard while dealing with the XU4, so I just stuck with armbian, then used armbian-config to install OMV. Took about 5-6min to complete everything. Created a test share on my NAS and on my HC2, and set up rsync. That took all of about 3min. Once that was confirmed working locally, I created an rsync job and mapped it to proper shares and tested locally. Everything appears to be in working order locally. Had the whole thing set up in under 20min. So all I'll have to do is forward some ports at the remote location, and all should be good.

The only real disappointment was.. and I'm gonna do some looking at this, but the wireless is pretty slow. Ameridroid's site said it was Wireless N capable (5ghz) but it only sees my 2.4ghz network, and not my 5ghz. Hopefully I can figure that out, but even I can't, it's no big deal... I have a scenario where I can use cat6.

• The only real disappointment was.. and I'm gonna do some looking at this, but the wireless is pretty slow. Ameridroid's site said it was Wireless N capable (5ghz) but it only sees my 2.4ghz network, and not my 5ghz. Hopefully I can figure that out, but even I can't, it's no big deal... I have a scenario where I can use cat6.

Buy a decent wifi card, not this cheap crap from HK. ;)
    Everything that is supported by debian will work as it should. Do you have TP-Link products around? Good price / quality ratio. I almost always look towards tp-link when I am looking for something for soho. Switches of wifi cards, ethernet cards, routers ... I have never had problems with this brand.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Buy a decent wifi card, not this cheap crap from HK. ;) Everything that is supported by debian will work as it should. Do you have TP-Link products around? Good price / quality ratio. I almost always look towards tp-link when I am looking for something for soho. Switches of wifi cards, ethernet cards, routers ... I have never had problems with this brand.

I've never used TPLink.... I just didn't want to have to do a ton of manual configuration, and I figured if that one was supposed to work "out of the box" it was worth a try. I was looking at a few TPLink's on Amazon that advertise Linux support...

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link…rk-Adapter/dp/B00416Q5KI#

I tossed it in my cart and will probably add it on to my next order.

• Everything that is supported by debian will work as it should.

On x86. Situation on ARM is different since here the kernel (that's where the drivers live) is not provided by Debian but in our case by Armbian. The recommended (and most probably also working) wireless dongles are listed at the bottom: https://www.armbian.com/odroid-hc1/

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would look at wireless bridges too.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I've never used TPLink.... I just didn't want to have to do a ton of manual configuration, and I figured if that one was supposed to work "out of the box" it was worth a try. I was looking at a few TPLink's on Amazon that advertise Linux support...

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link…rk-Adapter/dp/B00416Q5KI#

I tossed it in my cart and will probably add it on to my next order.

Do not buy it! Unless you do not care about 5Ghz.
    From what I see it is just an ordinary 2.4Ghz

Look at Archer T2UH or Archer T4U v3 that are 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz. But make sure what the situation looks like with the drivers on armbian. Looks like 8812AU is supported but I do not see 8812BU so it's better to be 100%

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link…ps-Wireless/dp/B01MR6M8EC

• steakhutzeee

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!