Unable to install OMV on AMD 2200g - broken video

• Hi,

I tried to install a OMV4 on a new PC/NAS which has a B450 motherboard and an AMD 2200g CPU,but when the installation starts (graphical/console)the video is completely broken and I am unable to finish the installation. I made all possible component xtests and it comes all down to the OMV installation.
    The issue is the same on a clean debian 9/10 install.
    Ubuntu Server 18.10 and FreeNAS 11 are working fine though.

pics :
    https://cdn3.imggmi.com/upload…529b53304d90ef8b-full.jpg
    https://cdn3.imggmi.com/upload…c75bf69b8973ad0e-full.jpg

https://cdn3.imggmi.com/upload…401f74ec5d94cbcd-full.jpg

Am I the only one experiencing this ? And are there any plans for integrating the latest vega drivers ?

Thank you !

• There is a thread here somewhere about changing the graphics options.. but I can't find it and am not at home. What are your options under advanced

Air Conditioners are a lot like PC's... They work great until you open Windows.

• There is a thread here somewhere about changing the graphics options.. but I can't find it and am not at home. What are your options under advanced

Under advanced there are Hardware detection tool (2nd pic) and Memory Test

Blacklist amdgpu driver

I was thinking about that,but to be honest,I dont know how to do that in this condition ... Could you maybe point me in to the right direction ?

• Another option could perhaps be to turn off the monitor and unplug the keyboard and do a headless install. OMV is designed for that. That is the only way I have ever installed OMV.

Be smart - be lazy. Clone your rootfs.
    OMV 5: 9 x Odroid HC2 + 1 x Odroid HC1 + 1 x Raspberry Pi 4

• Well, the way I do it is boot from OMV install image on the future system flash drive with no other drives present. And after a while connect to the GUI and finish the install. Update and so on. And then turn off, install other media, start again and configure that. Possibly also move the root fs from flash to a prepared partition on a SATA drive in the process.

Perhaps headless install is not possible on all platforms? What do you do on the console that can not be done in the GUI or over SSH?

Be smart - be lazy. Clone your rootfs.
    OMV 5: 9 x Odroid HC2 + 1 x Odroid HC1 + 1 x Raspberry Pi 4

• So what are my options here ... try to get a PCIe graphics card and try to install it with it and after that just remove it ?

Back in the day when ATI was a huge PITA w/ Linux (it's generally not so bad now)... and I'd dealt with install problems similar to yours... I kept an old 400mb Geforce AGP card around for exactly that. I think I got it for like $12 when I threw it on a Newegg order.

I was Googling a headless Debian install, and it honestly doesn't look terribly difficult. I've never done it though (and it certainly isn't for the faint of heart)

• Back in the day when ATI was a huge PITA w/ Linux (it's generally not so bad now)... and I'd dealt with install problems similar to yours... I kept an old 400mb Geforce AGP card around for exactly that. I think I got it for like $12 when I threw it on a Newegg order.

I was Googling a headless Debian install, and it honestly doesn't look terribly difficult. I've never done it though (and it certainly isn't for the faint of heart)

Sure,found an article how it could be done, but honestly, its just faster to do it with a workaround like another gpu or install it in another system :)

• Sure,found an article how it could be done, but honestly, its just faster to do it with a workaround like another gpu or install it in another system :)

If you have another system and/or GPU available, I would totally agree.

I'd try installing Debian from a Netinst ISO first though...

If you go the route of installing on another system first, make sure you disconnect ALL drives, except the drive you intend to install OMV on, and the installation media.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!