Trying to install OMV on a Windows machine - Minimal BASH-line error (grub)

• Delete the file and execute the first script again.

Probably the easiest way.

Yes. That did the trick.
    I ran a
    rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list
    and re-entered the first block of commands to update the sources list.

That helped me to get up to the point - step 6: apt-get update.
    After that I'm getting:

root@debian:~# apt-get --yes --auto-remove --show-upgraded \
    > --allow-downgrades --allow-change-held-packages \
    > --no-install-recommends \
    > --option Dpkg::Options::="--force-confdef" \
    > --option DPkg::Options::="--force-confold" \
    >
    E: Sense auto is not understood, try true or false.

Excuse my ignorance but you've been of great help really.
    I think I'm getting there.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I do not get it why this step sometimes go wrong.

Try this
    apt-get --yes --auto-remove --show-upgraded --allow-downgrades --allow-change-held-packages --no-install-recommends --option Dpkg::Options::="--force-confdef" --option DPkg::Options::="--force-confold" install postfix openmediavault-keyring openmediavault

• I do not get it why this step sometimes go wrong.

Try this
    apt-get --yes --auto-remove --show-upgraded --allow-downgrades --allow-change-held-packages --no-install-recommends --option Dpkg::Options::="--force-confdef" --option DPkg::Options::="--force-confold" install postfix openmediavault-keyring openmediavault

I'm still getting this:

root@debian:~# apt-get --yes --auto-remove --show-upgraded \
    > --allow-downgrades --allow-change-held-packages \
    > --no-install-recommends \
    > --option Dpkg::Options::="--force-confdef" \
    > --option DPkg::Options::="--force-confold" \
    > install postfix openmediavault-keyring openmediavault
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Unable to locate package openmediavault-keyring
    E: Unable to locate package openmediavault

It proceeded in building dependency tree at least....

• root@debian:~# apt-get update
    Hit:1 http://security.debian.org/debian-security stretch/updates InRelease
    Hit:2 http://packages.openmediavault.org/public arrakis InRelease
    Ign:3 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stretch InRelease
    Hit:4 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stretch Release

I repeated all steps from the second script one by one and it seemed like openmediavault was installed but then it came the next error when I ran omv-initsystem

I repeated the process all over again and when I reached install postfix openmediavault-keyring openmediavault the outpu is:

> install postfix openmediavault-keyring openmediavault
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    postfix is already the newest version (3.1.9-0+deb9u2).
    openmediavault is already the newest version (4.1.21-1).
    openmediavault-keyring is already the newest version (1.0).
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    3 not fully installed or removed.
    After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
    Setting up nginx-full (1.10.3-1+deb9u2) ...
    Job for nginx.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
    See "systemctl status nginx.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
    invoke-rc.d: initscript nginx, action "start" failed.
    ● nginx.service - A high performance web server and a reverse proxy server
    Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/nginx.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
    Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2019-04-07 20:51:33 BST; 14ms ago
    Docs: man:nginx(8)
    Process: 27387 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/nginx -g daemon on; master_process on; (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
    Process: 27384 ExecStartPre=/usr/sbin/nginx -t -q -g daemon on; master_process on; (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Apr 07 20:51:31 debian nginx[27387]: nginx: [emerg] listen() to [::]:80, backlog 511 faile… use)
    Apr 07 20:51:32 debian nginx[27387]: nginx: [emerg] listen() to 0.0.0.0:80, backlog 511 fa… use)
    Apr 07 20:51:32 debian nginx[27387]: nginx: [emerg] listen() to [::]:80, backlog 511 faile… use)
    Apr 07 20:51:32 debian nginx[27387]: nginx: [emerg] listen() to 0.0.0.0:80, backlog 511 fa… use)
    Apr 07 20:51:32 debian nginx[27387]: nginx: [emerg] listen() to [::]:80, backlog 511 faile… use)
    Apr 07 20:51:33 debian nginx[27387]: nginx: [emerg] still could not bind()
    Apr 07 20:51:33 debian systemd[1]: nginx.service: Control process exited, code=exited status=1
    Apr 07 20:51:33 debian systemd[1]: Failed to start A high performance web server and a re…erver.
    Apr 07 20:51:33 debian systemd[1]: nginx.service: Unit entered failed state.
    Apr 07 20:51:33 debian systemd[1]: nginx.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
    Hint: Some lines were ellipsized, use -l to show in full.
    dpkg: error processing package nginx-full (--configure):
    subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of nginx:
    nginx depends on nginx-full (<< 1.10.3-1+deb9u2.1~) | nginx-light (<< 1.10.3-1+deb9u2.1~) | nginx-extras (<< 1.10.3-1+deb9u2.1~); however:
    Package nginx-full is not configured yet.
    Package nginx-light is not installed.
    Package nginx-extras is not installed.
    nginx depends on nginx-full (>= 1.10.3-1+deb9u2) | nginx-light (>= 1.10.3-1+deb9u2) | nginx-extras (>= 1.10.3-1+deb9u2); however:
    Package nginx-full is not configured yet.
    Package nginx-light is not installed.
    Package nginx-extras is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package nginx (--configure):
    dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of openmediavault:
    openmediavault depends on nginx; however:
    Package nginx is not configured yet.
    Package nginx-full which provides nginx is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package openmediavault (--configure):
    dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    nginx-full
    nginx
    openmediavault
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

It seems like it's missing a whole lot of dependencies.

• apt-get -f install

See if that can fix any of this.

Oh man.. That was it! I'm up and running and I can reach WebGUI on my localhost address!

I can't believe how hard it was. I might be ignorant but the whole process could be a tad easier I think :)

Thank you so much both of you! I hope there won't be any other problems down my way!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Oh man.. That was it! I'm up and running and I can reach WebGUI on my localhost address!
    I can't believe how hard it was. I might be ignorant but the whole process could be a tad easier I think :)

Thank you so much both of you! I hope there won't be any other problems down my way!

I've had to install OMV on top of Debian several times on my machine back when it was new (like omv 2.0 and 3.0).. and I've always gotten a similar message to what you got and fixed it with the apt-get -f install command.

Glad you got it going.

(and trust me.. You'll have more questions.. it's the nature of the beast).

• I've had to install OMV on top of Debian several times on my machine back when it was new (like omv 2.0 and 3.0).. and I've always gotten a similar message to what you got and fixed it with the apt-get -f install command.
    Glad you got it going.

(and trust me.. You'll have more questions.. it's the nature of the beast).

Thank you!

I knew I was closer and closer with every step but after a point I admit I had started thinking of giving up.

I did spend the better part of the weekend with this but it was rewarding in the end.
    As I had been running an OMV server on an XU4, I am aware how great this project is.

I'm hoping I will be able to run more packages and dockers on the new Windows machine which is substantially more powerful!

• Offizieller Beitrag

And FWIW, It's not designed to be that hard, just sometimes some installs are trickier than others. If the OMV iso works, all hardware is recognized OK, etc... It's literally a 5min install. The installing Debian and then OMV is a little harder but not unbearable.

Again, glad you got it going.

• Then build you a proper NAS. :) .

Dual booting a nas doesn't make sense to me, but I guess it is good to learn if needed

I'm not intended to do a dual boot NAS by any means. I might not be so knowlegdeable but not to this extent :P

I got a Voyo Vmac mini PC with an N4200 processor which is a quite powerful fanless mini pc but ATM I have no use of it. I'm on the fence whether I'll sell it or utilize it somehow. This is where the dual boot thing comes in. I don't want to ''touch'' the OS on the main M2 SSD drive of the PC and just wanted to experiment with a secondary 2.5 SSD I installed.

If this build proves substantially better than my XU4, then I'll definitely keep this mini PC and possibly install OMV on the main drive permanently.

The idea of a low-powered NAS intrigues me a lot - not so from a saving perspective but mostly because I'm very interested and keen on green computing! My KIll-a-watt meter shows that this little thing consumes 6 watts and if stressed up to 10-12 which is amazing in my book.

My main NAS is a WD My Cloud mirror so this build is more of an experimental one.
    However, if the experiment goes as hoped, I'm planning to transfer my main NAS drives to a new OMV build as the WD I got is very slow in transfer speeds (around 50mb/s) while my XU4 with a couple of USB HDDs has twice the speed!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!