Multi-system case

• I had six small arm and x86 boards in multiple locations and an empty 4U rackmount case. So, I modified a power supply to power all six boards. All of the boards except the atomicpi (has rubber feet on it) are mounted on risers about 20-25mm off the motherboard plate. There are the following boards in the case:

• Udoo x86 with 256GB SSD and 30GB SATA M2
    • AtomicPi
    • RockPro64
    • Renegade
    • NanoPiM4 + SATA hat with 8TB HD and 256GB SSD
    • RPi2

The entire system is pulling 59 W at the PSU cord according to my kill-a-watt.

IMG_0055.jpg

omv 5.6.0 usul | 64 bit | 5.4 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.5.3
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Which one do you like the best?

Tough choice. They are doing different things. Definitely not the RPi :D The NanoPiM4 is pretty neat though.

How many of them cooperate with each other? In what setup?

None. The Udoo x86 is my zoneminder system. The RockPro is my dns server. The nanopi is a backup copy of my main fileserver. The atomicpi is in progress. The renegade used to be my travel server but now just an OMV arm test system. The rpi is running OMV for OMV questions since RPi questions happen so often. Could I combine some of them? Yep but why :)

• You need a switch in there to cut down on the wires coming out. LOL

I had an eight port gigabit switch in there but I forgot to look at the voltage required and assumed it was 12 volts. It was actually 7.5 =O So, the switched was cooked when I turned on the power supply for the first time. I also didn't want to share a single gigabit pipe to all six machines.

• Time for 10G

My main switch (d-link DGS-1510-28X) has four 10G ports but they are filled. Easier just to run six cables to that switch :)

• I had six small arm and x86 boards in multiple locations and an empty 4U rackmount case. So, I modified a power supply to power all six boards. All of the boards except the atomicpi (has rubber feet on it) are mounted on risers about 20-25mm off the motherboard plate. There are the following boards in the case:

• Udoo x86 with 256GB SSD and 30GB SATA M2
    • AtomicPi
    • RockPro64
    • Renegade
    • NanoPiM4 + SATA hat with 8TB HD and 256GB SSD
    • RPi2

The entire system is pulling 59 W at the PSU cord according to my kill-a-watt.

IMG_0055.jpg

Cool idea! Thank you for this and I was wondering how to tidy up all the sbc I have I think I have somewhere an old desktop case which I never used...

• 59 watts for 6 devices, an SSD and a 3.5" spinning drive. Not bad.

It's even 3 SSDs and the reason the consumption is that high is most probably either related to the ATX PSU or the 3 SSDs being really old:

• Udoo x86 with 256GB SSD and 30GB SATA M2 --> less than 10W
    • AtomicPi --> ~5W
    • RockPro64 --> less than 4W
    • Renegade --> ~2W
    • NanoPiM4 + SATA hat with 8TB HD and 256GB SSD --> should be less than 10W with idle disks
    • RPi2 --> ~1.5W

That's almost 20W lower than @ryecoaaron measured at mains. Oversized ATX PSUs are usually horribly inefficient in low load ranges.

• It's even 3 SSDs and the reason the consumption is that high is most probably either related to the ATX PSU or the 3 SSDs being really old:

Two of the SSDs are old (similar to samsung 830) and the bad choice of ATX PSUs was because it is the only one I had that I was willing to modify extensively. I am looking for high efficiency 12V and 5V power supplies now that will fit well in the case.

Udoo x86 with 256GB SSD and 30GB SATA M2 --> less than 10W

Might be a bit higher than that. It is consuming one full cpu running zoneminder with motion detection and writing a lot to the SSD. Not very idle.

• I am looking for high efficiency 12V and 5V power supplies now that will fit well in the case

Might be worth an update then :)

It is consuming one full cpu running zoneminder with motion detection and writing a lot to the SSD. Not very idle.

Ah, I missed this. The Udoo x86 features Braswell SoCs, right?

• the bad choice of ATX PSUs was because it is the only one I had that I was willing to modify extensively. I am looking for high efficiency 12V and 5V power supplies now that will fit well in the case.

I don't see anything wrong with what you did or the way you did it. It was innovation and, without doubt, it cleaned up a lot of clutter. There's also the elimination of an entire collection of cheap PS bricks to consider. Few of those things have good provisions for protecting equipment, when they fail. A few extra watts, for a PS of decent quality, seems to be a worthwhile trade off.

If you do install a higher efficiency PS, powering the same load, I'd be curious what the AC line wattage difference is.

• Is this the before picture? :)

Files

• nag_20.jpg

(88.06 kB, downloaded 545 times, last: )

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 5.x on ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0 Stepping - 16GB ECC - Silverstone DS380 + Silverstone DS380 DAS Box.

• If you do install a higher efficiency PS, powering the same load, I'd be curious what the AC line wattage difference is.

I will update when I find some.

Is this the before picture?

No. They were blue wires :D

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!