BorgBackup Plugin stable?

• Hello together, hello @ryecoaaron,

today I visited omv-extras.org and stumbled upon a borgbackup plugin. I know borg backup and I really like its principles and how it handles things but I've ever been too lazy to learn its terminal foo. So I'd like to use this plugin.

My question is now: This plugin seems to exist for some time now and there are no open bug reports on github. Whats the reason for it being in testing repo only? of course I'd like to have a safe backup solution for my data and not some beta stuff. ^^

• Offizieller Beitrag

Whats the reason for it being in testing repo only?

I don't have a good reason. I just put it in the regular repo.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I don't have a good reason. I just put it in the regular repo.

Thanks a lot man! :thumbup: It popped up in my servers backup section. Will try it in the evening.

Aside from that the website looks a bit outdated. borgbackup still shows up in testing and there are some 'old' versions listed while newer releases are in stable already. Are those website entries auto generated or manually?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Aside from that the website looks a bit outdated. borgbackup still shows up in testing

What website?

there are some 'old' versions listed while newer releases are in stable already. Are those website entries auto generated or manually?

I didn't remove the plugin from testing and old versions stay available.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• What website?

Sorry, I meant:
    http://omv-extras.org/joomla/i…hp/omv-plugins-4/4-stable
    and
    http://omv-extras.org/joomla/i…p/omv-plugins-4/4-testing

According to these websites borgbackup is still in testing but not in stable. At the same time the website says there are some 'old' versions in testing and newer ones in stable. (Didn't compare the testing website to real testing repo as I don't have this activated.) No offense, I'm just curious: Why don't you remove the outdated versions from testing? In my experience from other projects testing repos are mostly used for unstable bleeding edge stuff. Seems to be the other way around here. :D
    (perhaps I'm not the only one who doesn't expect this)

• Offizieller Beitrag

According to these websites borgbackup is still in testing but not in stable. At the same time the website says there are some 'old' versions in testing and newer ones in stable. (Didn't compare the testing website to real testing repo as I don't have this activated.)

There seems to be a bug in the script that checks the repos daily and updates the site. If you really want to see what is actually in the repo, look on bintray where the repo is hosted - https://bintray.com/openmediavault-plugin-developers

No offense, I'm just curious: Why don't you remove the outdated versions from testing?

What difference does it make? Removing packages has some weird behaviors especially with Bintray where it won't rewrite the release file causing problems.

In my experience from other projects testing repos are mostly used for unstable bleeding edge stuff. Seems to be the other way around here.
    (perhaps I'm not the only one who doesn't expect this)

Do you have an example? Just because a stable plugin is in the testing repo doesn't mean testing plugins are in the stable repo. New plugins don't get created very often. So, I think that statement is incorrect.

• Ok, I lost the battle against multi citation ... 8|

I didn't know bintray.com and didn't recognize that there are links underneath each plugin on the website. 8)

I'm not an repository expert but I thought that it makes sense that package versions in 'testing' should be at least as new as in 'stable' because - you know - "first ship it to the testers and if nobody complains copy it to 'stable'.
    openmediavault-backup for example is version 4.0.6 in 'stable' and 4.0.1 in 'testing'. Why would anyone want to test an old version when a newer one is in stable? :D But I agree. For small changes this two step procedure might be overkill - especially when done manually.

So 'testing' here means just for development of new plugins and once a plugin made it to 'main' all further changes are pushed directly to the users?

• Offizieller Beitrag

So 'testing' here means just for development of new plugins and once a plugin made it to 'main' all further changes are pushed directly to the users?

The testing repo is for testing plugins. Testing can mean a new plugin -or- a plugin with significant changes. openmediavault-backup was tested in the testing repo and seemed stable after 4.0.1. Changes after 4.0.1 were not deemed to affect stability and were put in the stable repo right away. Hence why there is a newer version in the stable repo.

My goal is to always have stable plugins in the stable repo. It is very possible for the testing repo to have stable plugins but it is not guaranteed. It is tough to determine if something is stable when I rarely receive feedback.

As with any system, if stability and data safety are very important, you should have a test system to test updates on.

For small changes this two step procedure might be overkill - especially when done manually.

I have quite a bit of automation behind building and uploading plugins. I just don't care if the testing version of the plugin is a lower version than the stable version.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!