Planned Tutorial: How to work with the cli - wishes?

• Hey User,

I want to setup a tutorial on basics of the linux/debian cli.

Are there any specifis you wish to be covered?

Things I have on my mind right now:

Zitat

use of Putty to connect to the cli via ssh
    standard commands
    editors
    how to start services
    look for running services besides there own scripts
    use of screen

If you have any more wishes what you like to know or find useull for a beginners guide please leave a post here.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Hi,

Maby how to permanently mount a disk ?.
    I did not see that a lot on linux ( the way its done is not always the way to go).

greetings steel2400

gr. steel

Cooler Master CM 690 III with 650 watt 80+ gold power supply
    AMD A8-5600k processor
    8 GB ddr 3 1333 ram
    crusial 120 ssd
    5 x 2 TB WesternDigital red harddrive in raid 5
    2 intel 1000mT nic's
    latest OMV stone burner

lets get cooking .....
    don't be afraid of learning it can be fun

• That would be irrelevant to OMV in particular, because OMV writes all mount points to the fstab, but I need to see when i got time for it, I will say something about the fstab. Prior at the moment has the guide for dummies (english version).

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Basic navigation and file manipulation is essential when troubleshooting. So:

Navigating the directory tree and Linux specific device structure (where's my data?)
    Searching for files (including how to see pertinent attributes)
    Editing files (with good backout practices)
    Basic concepts on installing and maintaining things - a common point of confusion
    Doing simple tips - adding shortcut commands with useful switches, simple boot time automations

Also point them to how to backup and restore their build before experimenting with your tutorial ;)
    -Ron

• Well, I guess I will so a rolling release starting in the next few days and continously add content.

If you have more suggestions, additions or even find some errors in my writeups (once released) feel free to comment here!

Greetings
    David

• I will add some commands here that newbies should now and describe then later:
    Abbreviations:
    cli - commonly used abbreviation when discussing command line

Commands:
    apt-get install (package name) - to install a package from a repo
    apt-get remove (package name) - to remove a package install via a repo
    apt-cache show (package name) - to show package information
    cd .. - to move up a directory level
    cd ./(folder name) - to move into a folder
    cd ~
    TAB - type first few letters of a file name then press TAB to complete the filename.
    df -h -
    dpkg -l | grep *****
    dpkg -i (package name) - to install a package
    dpkg -r (package name) - to remove a package
    rm (file name) - to delete a file
    mkdir (name) - to make a directory
    rmdir (name) - to delete a directory
    touch (filename) - to create a blank file with given name
    cat (filename)- to view contents of a file without going into it with an editor like nano

I'll add some daily. You can copy and paste to a main list.

I think some basic explanation of how apt works woould be helpful as well. The places where repos can be added. How to update repos so a newly added repo will be available.

APT is the package management system that we recommend you use with OMV. There are other package management systems such as Aptitude. We do not recommend you use Aptitude with OMV. Aptitude contains many packages that are only used in when there is a full desktop installed on a system. Most of us are using OMV as a headless system thus we are using APT for package management. If you are not an experienced linux user it is probably not a good idea to use multiple package managers.

Repos for APT are normally entered in files or folder at this location:
    /etc/apt/
    One of the most commonly used repo files is sources.list
    If a file or folder with repo files is added in the /etc/apt location it will not become available for us in cli until the following command is run:
    apt-get update
    This will update the repo files available to use in cli.

PS- Anyone is welcome to add some of you favorite linux commands to this thread and we will try to make order of it all. This is going to be used for informational purposes for newbies so be aware we may be copying, pasting and deleting posts. The main goal is to help newcomers with linux and OMV. Please don't get upset if your post is deleted and the commands are copied/pasted elsewhere.

THANKS!!

• Zitat von "davidh2k"

That would be irrelevant to OMV in particular, because OMV writes all mount points to the fstab, but I need to see when i got time for it, I will say something about the fstab. Prior at the moment has the guide for dummies (english version).

Greetings
    David

Wel you mite be right, But to use fstab and permanently mount a disk wil be A lot faster to get in to the disk to see the file structure and apply it on the back end off the server.
    Fore use of couchpotato,deluge and headphone to apply read and right permissions is it not :?:

This is just an idea i had hope it helps.

P.s.thanks fore considering it tho

Gr. steel2400

gr. steel

Cooler Master CM 690 III with 650 watt 80+ gold power supply
    AMD A8-5600k processor
    8 GB ddr 3 1333 ram
    crusial 120 ssd
    5 x 2 TB WesternDigital red harddrive in raid 5
    2 intel 1000mT nic's
    latest OMV stone burner

lets get cooking .....
    don't be afraid of learning it can be fun

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!