haugene/transmission-openvpn port forwarding problem

• I tested the connection with the two given test site. None of them showing my real ip address. I am using Deluge 2.0.3-2 version.

I'm stuck on Deluge 1.3.15. The latest is 2.0.3 but a must have plugin has not been ported to 2.0.3 yet.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Maybe I'm being silly here and missing the obvious, but how do you check your OMV install to see if the VPN is working?? I thought about installing a browser in docker, but thought that was a bad idea. I use NordVPN in a docker by the way. I did risk it and download a torrent without any bad email entering my account so something is probably going right.

• Offizieller Beitrag

How I always find if it's working

Get your Public IP from a machine not behind the VPN (whatismyip,com, or command line if you're running a Linux machine)

SSH your server and bash into the transmission container as root:
    docker exec -it container_name bash

curl ifconfig.co

This will return the public IP of the container. If the VPN is working... it should be different than the IP of the local machine.

Example: Black terminal window is my laptop. White one is my NAS. Even with the IP partially blurred, they are clearly different. I can't remember if curl is installed inside that container by default, or if I installed it. However the container is ubuntu based so if you get command not found, just apt-get install curl and after it installs, run the command again

• Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. I'll give it a shot, although at this point, having not received any negative notices I'm pretty sure everything is working as it should.

If by "not received any negative notices" you mean not receiving complaints about copyright infringement via torrenting, then equating the lack of any such notices with proper operation of the VPN or proxy is a mistake. Just because no one is complaining doesn't mean that they don't know your IP address.

You need to explicitly test for proper VPN / proxy operation and you need to do this continuously.

A better approach to this is to spend a bit of money on a seedbox. It will save you a lot of bandwidth and in most cases it is a lot faster too.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• @gderf
    Having the same issue as OP, also using haugene/transmission-openvpn with NordVPN. As I move my files when downloaded and server won't be up 24/7 (only when needed), I'm not really much of a seeder (might change in future, but don't know how to do that when files are moved and torrent has been removed from client). For me, it's just to open peer listening port to get more peers/higher transfer rates. I was wondering with DHT and PEX, is this listening port still interesting though?

Anyway thanks for the Deluge client alternative, will look into that. Doe is also use NordVPN API (that's a big plus for haugene/transmission-openvpn)?

Most VPN providers also provide a Socks5 proxy. NordVPN does too, so why
    don't you use it with a torrent client that supports it?

nordvpn.com/tutorials/socks5/

But @Gre@T follows up later with:
    Until now. I got "SOCKS unsupported authentication method" on some torrent files.

U know anything about this?

ODROID-HC2 running OMV4
    ASUS F2A85-M LE running OMV4

• You have to have a listening port for incoming connections from peers or you will have dismal or no download speed at all.

Deluge does not interface with an VPN solution, only Socks proxy.

I have never seen "SOCKS unsupported authentication method" errors.

--

• Thanks for the quick response.

New to Socks(5), need to read about it first (will not be today)... Do you still use VPN when using Socks? And If you do, I would have to use another docker container for that, since my modem/router doesn't support VPN. Or install VPN directly on OMV (no docker)?

Really like the NordVPN API, which VPN are you using?

I do get my maximum DL speed with haugene/transmission-openvpn (10,5 MB/s) with a "good" torrent (e.g. Xubuntu). With movies also good speed, but a bit slower (varies, let's say between 4 and 10 MB/s), depending on torrent. But think this DHT an PEX provide the peers maybe?

In a few months, maybe a year I'll have 500 Mbit connection, curious about max. p2p speeds...

ODROID-HC2 running OMV4

• I do not use VPN and Socks5 together. And I do not use VPN for torrenting at all. I use VPN mainly for connecting to my network remotely. I use Torguard for VPN and Socks5, and OpenVPN on my router for remote access.

And 99.9% of my torrenting is done via seedboxes, not locally on my systems. Torrenting using local clients consumes too much bandwidth. I am capped @ 1TB/month.

--

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

• I do get my maximum DL speed with haugene/transmission-openvpn (10,5 MB/s) with a "good" torrent (e.g. Xubuntu). With movies also good speed, but a bit slower (varies, let's say between 4 and 10 MB/s), depending on torrent. But think this DHT an PEX provide the peers maybe?

Correction: Checked a few things with different torrents (also in a small time-frame). NordVPN DOES slow down DL speed significantly! Tried on Windows machine with qBittorrent with and without VPN on. No matter what setting in torrent client or VPN settings ((P2P)server or protocol), speed drops way to far with VPN on...

I'm not talking about typical port forwarding in a user's router. I am talking about having a port opened and on the far end of the VPN tunnel on your VPN IP public address forwarded to you.
    For example, say you want to run a web server but you do not want to hand out your real WAN IP address. You want to hand out your public VPN address instead and have the traffic go thru the tunnel to your server. This will require that your VPN provider open a port on their end of the connection and forward it thru the tunnel to you. This is not supported by NordVPN and others.

Unfortunately, the OP is not being at all clear as to exactly what it is he is trying to do.

...indeed port forwarding doesn't work with NordVPN.

So I tried your suggestion Deluge (docker), but I can't get it to DL...

Used following to set it up
    https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/deluge
    https://nordvpn.com/nl/tutorials/socks5/deluge/

When a torrent is added: is appears under "Error" and the status of the torrent is "Permission denied".

ODROID-HC2 running OMV4

• Look in the container log for clues and double check anything related to permissions on the Volume/Bind mounts. Are the PUID and PGID a real user and group on the machine?

Post screenshot of the setup in Deluge screen Preferences | Downloads

--

• Will check log in moment, here some screenshots:

Selected server is P2P and Socks5, checked @ https://nordvpn.com/nl/servers/tools/

Are the PUID and PGID a real user and group on the machine?

Yes

Log & router screenshot added

Container_Log.txt

* UPnP is on by default, but doesn't open any ports in router, so forwarded 1080 to server IP manually (see screenshot). Plex (also running in host mode, does set ports with UPnP)

• Your Deluge Preferences | Downloads | Download to is set to: /root/Downloads This is wrong. The only acceptable value that can be set to is: /downloads

For the other boxes in that panel you can use: /downloads or: /downloads/some_subdirectory if you enable those features by checking the boxes.

In your router NAT do not set any port forward for port Deluge 1080 when using the proxy.

If these changes do not fix it then post the actual container configuration you are using.

--

• Indeed the DL folder was set wrong. Just noticed before your reply (was comparing screenshots)...

It works now, thanks. But need to check some things.
    This way port 1080 is always open, even when Deluge is not running. Don't know if this is a security issue...
    Remove manually set forwarded port, maybe UPnP will work when removed?

Also need to check outside IP, always used checkMyTorrentIp.png.torrent for this. Transmission give proper feedback, in Deluge I can't see. Will try the 2 files you referred to some posts ago.

ODROID-HC2 running OMV4

• You do not need any port port forwards at all for Deluge when it is running on a Socks5 Proxy. You don't need UPnP either. The ports that need to be opened are on the proxy server, not your network.

The checkMyTorrentIp.png.torrent will work fine, I use it among others. You need to load that torrent, select it in the panel and click on the Status tab to see what's happening.

--

• I would say, you're right.

But here's the strange thing:
    When no port forwarding set, xubuntu-19.10-desktop-amd64.iso.torrent works and The.Irishman.2019.1080p.NF.WEBRip.DDP5.1.Atmos.x264-CM-[rarbg.to].torrent does NOT.
    With port 1080 forwarded, they both work?

One annoying thing left: can't get "Torrent Control" plugin in Firefox to work with Deluge. And need to test mobile gui use with this client (normally I use iPhone to add a torrent).
    Thanks again! I can now compare speeds with TM-OpenVPN and Deluge, but I'm pretty sure Deluge gets max speed where TM doesn't.

ODROID-HC2 running OMV4

• I can't test that movie torrent for you. Deluge says it is invalid URL when I try to add it (post the correct one and I'll test it here).

I'd keep trying it without the port forward and maybe try some other from RARGB.

One thing I have noticed is that things don't happen instantly when running behind a proxy.

See here for some browser plugins:

https://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/Plugins#BrowserPlugins

Edit: That movie torrent downloads for me but slowly. It took a few minutes to start.

--

• I turned off the port forward and tried again today...
    Starts immediately (nothing else had changed) and in few seconds goes to 8,5 MB/s.
    I'll try a few more days, thanks!

Thanks for the link to browser plugins!
    IP is indeed behind proxy (tried both from TorGuard and ipMagnet).

Now I think about it, I did check "Run in privileged mode" in container settings. Don't know what it exactly does? Probably better to turn it off again.

https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/deluge did mention about the /download setting in preferences. Must have missed that...

Was reading the "Updating info" section. Can you point me in the right direction about Docker basics and updating? Deluge from linuxserver needs new image and recreate container it says, but that isn't always the case is it (other images)? E.G. I don't know what the "Commit" button in OMV>Docker does...

Edit: Turned off "Privileged mode" and again torrent didn't start (waited for about a minute), turned it back on again and almost instantly the dl started.
    Will play with this a few times...

ODROID-HC2 running OMV4

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von sm0ke ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!