[HowTo] WireGuard with OMV Super-Easy

• Hello,

Here you go:
    1) Just run setup_wireguard_omv.zip script.
    2) Ensure Port 51820 (UDP) is forwarded to your OMV Machine. The script tries to do that automatically via upnp.
    3) At the end of the script, you will be displayed a QRCode. Scan that in the Wireguard App on your Phone.
    4) Connect from your phone

That's all. All configuration files will be in /etc/wireguard
    Please resist from changing IP adresses. That is not neccessary. Only the Interface of your network card that you use to connect to the Internet could be changed.
    @ryecoaaron This could be a good template for a Plugin.

I was inspired/used part of this https://nbsoftsolutions.com/blog/wireguard-vpn-walkthrough

Greetings,
    Hendrik

WireGuard founder Jason Donenfeld announced on Wednesday the pre-alpha release of WireGuard for Windows. The state is considered "pre-alpha" due to the code not being completely finished but it's considered to be fairly functional and just not yet fully performant and some missing features

What I read so far about the Windows Version is positive.
    My experience with Omv and Android is great. Seamless when changing networks.

The security is not tested yet. Read

https://lists.zx2c4.com/piperm…uard/2019-May/004126.html

Here their Todo list. Blurry icon :-)
    https://docs.google.com/docume…v87sqDAfK66Kk/mobilebasic

• Hi Hendrik,

Nice job!

So for the average user of a guide, you need to explain more. What is wireguard and why do I want to use it?

Where does the script go? How do I download it? How does one run the script?
    How do you access your router? How do you forward a port?
    What is your phone connecting too?
    Why shouldn't we change our ip address?

Think that you are trying to explain it to your grandmother, not someone who has as much knowledge as you and it will reach a wider audience. :D

• Hello,

thanks for your feedback.
    I do not aim at the average user/I fear that I expect the average user to spent more of her/his time, rather than me spending more time.

> Where does the script go?
    If it mattered, I had mentioned.

> How do I download it?
    If the user does not know, he is not the target user

> How does one run the script?
    As above

> How do you access your router? How do you forward a port?
    How do I expect to know the router of the user? But if it speaks UPNP, the script will do the rest?

> What is your phone connecting too?
    Don't understand the question

> Why shouldn't we change our ip address?
    Because then it works.

Regards,
    Hendrik

• Hey I tried to install Wireguard with the script but it fails with this error message:

Code
    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    wireguard : Depends: wireguard-tools (>= 0.0.20190913-1) but 0.0.20190702-3 is to be installed
    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

I am running OMV5 5.0.10-1 on an Odroid HC2

Any ideas?

• Any ideas?

For the latest release, I only built the tools package on amd64 where the wireguard package itself works on all arches. I will see about building others this weekend.

omv 5.6.6 usul | 64 bit | 5.11 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.6.1
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Im trying to get this to work, but it fails with

Code
    Job for wg-quick@wgnet0.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
    See "systemctl status wg-quick@wgnet0.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.

Running - systemctl status wg-quick@wgnet0.service - gives

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!