OMV 5.0 - finally out! :-)

• I edited my last post with this:

So i executed another time

dpkg --configure -a

Log:

https://pastebin.com/94e7zn2M

Then i started the upgrade script again, and now there are no errors, only borgbackup was upgraded:

https://pastebin.com/uA7pFUtp

With

dpkg --configure -a

and

apt-get -f install

there were no errors, so i did a reboot of the system!

After reboot i checked another time:

dpkg --configure -a

apt-get -f install

apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade

There were no errors, so i started again the upgrade script:

wget -O - https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/installScript/raw/master/upgrade4to5 | sudo bash

There were also no errors:

https://pastebin.com/xu2Rs6TP

After reboot the next step was:

apt-get purge openmediavault-omvextrasorg resolvconf

I got no errors:

https://pastebin.com/S09miQcM

Another reboot, than i started the install script:

wget -O - https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/packages/raw/master/install | bash

No errors:

https://pastebin.com/Au2bwSbb

The next step was:

apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade

No errors, package containerd.io was installed:

https://pastebin.com/Lq5yPHDV

Reboot, than another check with:

dpkg --configure -a

apt-get -f install

Next step:

omv-salt deploy run nginx

https://pastebin.com/bC4JJQ41

Final step:

omv-salt deploy run phpfpm

https://pastebin.com/1EjmeKBU

...real last step was to clear the browser cache after restart the browser!

After another browser restart i could start the OMV5 Webinterface without any problems.

Hylli

• Offizieller Beitrag

looks better.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• OK, i had a last small problem with FTP.

But after checking some settings, all seems to be working.

Last question:

Can i remove all these packages without any problems?

Thx for your help and your patience!

Hylli

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can i remove all these packages without any problems?

Most of those were installed by something you used. So, if they aren't being used, then you can probably remove them. docker-ce is in the list. So, don't remove that if you are using docker.

i had a last small problem with FTP.

There are many threads about this. I have never used ftp so can't help with that but the Debian ftp package's unit file is not good.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Yes

It shouldn't as long as the install isn't too custom.

Just take a snapshot. If the upgrade fails, revert to snapshot. It won't snap the passthrough drives though.

The install is not custom at all. I know the proxmox snapshot is only for the OS. I backup all my VM's prior to any updates (snapshot mode) but I've never had to restore one yet. Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

I know the proxmox snapshot is only for the OS. I backup all my VM's prior to any updates (snapshot mode) but I've never had to restore one yet. Thanks

Actually, I just mean a snapshot not backup using snapshot. You take a snapshot before you make changes. If they go bad, you click Rollback in the Snapshot tab of proxmox and start your VM. Done. No restore needed. I have done this thousands of times on proxmox and VMware.

• Most of those were installed by something you used. So, if they aren't being used, then you can probably remove them. docker-ce is in the list. So, don't remove that if you are using docker.

There are many threads about this. I have never used ftp so can't help with that but the Debian ftp package's unit file is not good.

OK, i was using Emby Server, Portainer and WatchTower as Docker Container.

After removing all packages with...

apt-get autoremove

...my Emby Server didn't work, so i installed Docker again with:

apt-get install docker-ce docker-ce-cli

The package containerd.io was also installed.

Now i was searching for the Docker GUI in OMV, but could'nt find it!

After a quick search i found the solution. With OMV5 i have to use Portainer instead of Docker GUI.

---

I also did execute all updates in OMV-Extras, so now i am using Kernel 5.5.

If this was a good idea -> i will see!

---

Because i'm also nut using FTP, i disabled the service.

Hylli :)

• Gee, that was bumpy! I ran the upgrade procedure today and encountered the same issues hylli ran into, and some more. I'll just be elaborating on the additional ones:

• The upgrade-script exited with errors several times. Similar to hylli I had to "brute-force" my way through the process with dkpg --configure -a, but had to add in some more apt --fix-broken install commands at times, for good measure
    • After finalizing the upgrade procedure and clearing the browser cache, I received the following warning: "The property 'numproc' does not exist in the model 'conf.service.nfs'". I found the solution on this forum and could fix it by running omv-confdbadm migrate conf 5.0.0. The error message is gone.
    • Then, omv-extras was broken. Whenever I entered into the menu I got the error "The property 'repos.repo.0.uuid' does not exist in the model 'conf.system.omvextras'." I had to purge and reinstall it to get rid of the error.

Finally, the system and my dockers seem to be up and running again. I feel I've aged significantly tonight... :)

• Actually, I just mean a snapshot not backup using snapshot. You take a snapshot before you make changes. If they go bad, you click Rollback in the Snapshot tab of proxmox and start your VM. Done. No restore needed. I have done this thousands of times on proxmox and VMware.

OK I see what you mean now. Do you check the box to include the ram? Can you snapshot and rollback with the guest running?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do you check the box to include the ram?

You can. If you do, when you restore to a snapshot, the VM will be running. Some apps may not like the gap in time. So, I typically don't do this.

Can you snapshot and rollback with the guest running?

Yes

• You can. If you do, when you restore to a snapshot, the VM will be running. Some apps may not like the gap in time. So, I typically don't do this.

Yes

Cool. I made a few snapshots and noticed it's a lot faster if you don't snapshot the ram.

Do you ever use the full backup feature? I've used backup images to replicate VM's on another node. (manually, as i'm not running a cluster)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I made a few snapshots and noticed it's a lot faster if you don't snapshot the ram.

It has to create a file the size of the ram. So, more ram equal longer snapshot time.

Do you ever use the full backup feature?

All the time. I do have a cluster setup but I make backups whenever I make big changes that I may want to revert to at a later date.

• All the time. I do have a cluster setup but I make backups whenever I make big changes that I may want to revert to at a later date.

Yeah i think upgrading from 4 to 5 is a pretty big change. I might do both a backup and a snapshot, even though it's going to go smooth without a hiccup, right?

I'm not worried about losing my data but I don't feel like starting over from scratch on my OMV install. I recall it took some fiddling to get the PCI passthrough for my HBA to work like it should.

• Offizieller Beitrag

might do both a backup and a snapshot

Restoring from a backup works well. Just slower than a snapshot. Can't go wrong having both.

even though it's going to go smooth without a hiccup, right?

Of course :)

• Hi,

Need help. I'd executed all the command according to this post. Previously I deleted all the plugins which are not in this list exept Nut-plugin.

Deleted the docker-gui plugin and reinstalled docker-ce packaged with portainer before upgrade from 4 to 5.

Cleared firefox cookies and cache after all done. The login page loads and I succesfully authorize to web-gui. But after login screen it loads white blank page - see attached screenshot.

The output of "dpkg -l | grep openm" shows that all omv-plugins had been upgraded.

SSH, SMB, docker are working. But web-gui is unreachable.

I'll be gratefull for any advise.

• Clear your browser cache or force reload the page.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I did cleared the cache. I repeated one more time but the result is the same. I tried different browser Firefox and Chrome. Both shows white blank page after clearing cache and cookies and reloading omv web-gui.

• Additional observations.

Commands "omv-salt deploy run nginx" and "omv-salt deploy run phpfpm" eneded with some errors - I left the red part of output with errors to make it easier to read:

1. The output of "omv-salt deploy run nginx":

2. The output of "omv-salt deploy run phpfpm":

3. The output of "omv-salt stage run all" with errors:

I guess one of errors is that the UPS-pluging is not ported and make the OMV-gui to crash. The second error is somehow connected to Python which I installed earlier with OMV4.

Any idea how to fix them on OMV5 installation or should I rollback to my OMV4 backup, delete UPS-plugin and Python and take another try with upgradeOMV_4to5?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Your system has not been migrated correctly. And exactly because of that problem there is no official upgrade from OMV4 to OMV5 (or more exact Debian 9 to 10) because in Debian there were too much changes under the hood.

Check https://wiki.debian.org/UsrMerge and RE: Unable to use Network UPS Tools to monitor my UPS to fix your issues.

• Hi all !!

First of all, a big thank you to ryecoaaron for the OMV 4 to OMV 5 upgrade method

I can say that I'm a newbie in OMV but everything seems to have gone well for me after this upgrade

For information, I use a usb enclosure with 5 disks as well as the plugins:

- openmediavault-snapraid 5.0.5

- openmediavault-unionfilesystem 5.1.2

My Datapool consisting of the 5 disks is ok and accessible without problem.

However, I have a problem concerning the detection and display of disks in the storage / disks part of the administrative console.

Indeed, in addition to the system disk, only 1 USB disk is displayed whereas when I launch the command omv-rpc "DiskMgmt" "enumerateDevices" "{}" all the disks are listed

Code
    [{"devicename":"sda","canonicaldevicefile":"\/dev\/sda","devicefile":"\/dev\/disk\/by-id\/wwn-0x60022480727344727b4c32c31b2572b1","devicelinks":["\/dev\/disk\/by-id\/scsi-360022480727344727b4c32c31b2572b1","\/dev\/disk\/by-id\/wwn-0x60022480727344727b4c32c31b2572b1","\/dev\/disk\/by-path\/acpi-VMBUS:00-vmbus-b701db60fa6341a6b336148c07b85e80-lun-0"],"model":"Virtual Disk","size":"42949672960","description":"Virtual Disk [\/dev\/sda, 40.00 GiB]","vendor":"Msft","serialnumber":"60022480727344727b4c32c31b2572b1","israid":false,"isroot":true},{"devicename":"sdb","canonicaldevicefile":"\/dev\/sdb","devicefile":"\/dev\/disk\/by-id\/wwn-0x3020190831004050","devicelinks":["\/dev\/disk\/by-id\/scsi-33020190831004050","\/dev\/disk\/by-id\/wwn-0x3020190831004050","\/dev\/disk\/by-path\/acpi-VMBUS:00-vmbus-b701db60fa6341a6b336148c07b85e80-lun-2"],"model":"USB 3.0","size":"4000787030016","description":"USB 3.0 [\/dev\/sdb, 3.63 TiB]","vendor":"External","serialnumber":"3020190831004050","israid":false,"isroot":false},{"devicename":"sdc","canonicaldevicefile":"\/dev\/sdc","devicefile":"\/dev\/disk\/by-id\/wwn-0x3020190831004050","devicelinks":["\/dev\/disk\/by-id\/scsi-33020190831004050","\/dev\/disk\/by-id\/wwn-0x3020190831004050","\/dev\/disk\/by-path\/acpi-VMBUS:00-vmbus-b701db60fa6341a6b336148c07b85e80-lun-3"],"model":"USB 3.0","size":"4000787030016","description":"USB 3.0 [\/dev\/sdc, 3.63 TiB]","vendor":"External","serialnumber":"3020190831004050","israid":false,"isroot":false},{"devicename":"sdd","canonicaldevicefile":"\/dev\/sdd","devicefile":"\/dev\/disk\/by-id\/wwn-0x3020190831004050","devicelinks":["\/dev\/disk\/by-id\/scsi-33020190831004050","\/dev\/disk\/by-id\/wwn-0x3020190831004050","\/dev\/disk\/by-path\/acpi-VMBUS:00-vmbus-b701db60fa6341a6b336148c07b85e80-lun-4"],"model":"USB 3.0","size":"4000787030016","description":"USB 3.0 [\/dev\/sdd, 3.63 TiB]","vendor":"External","serialnumber":"3020190831004050","israid":false,"isroot":false},{"devicename":"sde","canonicaldevicefile":"\/dev\/sde","devicefile":"\/dev\/disk\/by-id\/wwn-0x3020190831004050","devicelinks":["\/dev\/disk\/by-id\/scsi-33020190831004050","\/dev\/disk\/by-id\/wwn-0x3020190831004050","\/dev\/disk\/by-path\/acpi-VMBUS:00-vmbus-b701db60fa6341a6b336148c07b85e80-lun-5"],"model":"USB 3.0","size":"4000787030016","description":"USB 3.0 [\/dev\/sde, 3.63 TiB]","vendor":"External","serialnumber":"3020190831004050","israid":false,"isroot":false},{"devicename":"sdf","canonicaldevicefile":"\/dev\/sdf","devicefile":"\/dev\/disk\/by-id\/wwn-0x3020190831004050","devicelinks":["\/dev\/disk\/by-id\/scsi-33020190831004050","\/dev\/disk\/by-id\/wwn-0x3020190831004050","\/dev\/disk\/by-path\/acpi-VMBUS:00-vmbus-b701db60fa6341a6b336148c07b85e80-lun-6"],"model":"USB 3.0","size":"4000787030016","description":"USB 3.0 [\/dev\/sdf, 3.63 TiB]","vendor":"External","serialnumber":"3020190831004050","israid":false,"isroot":false}]

It seems to be the same problem in S.M.A.R.T display

As you can see, only one USB device in list

And when I sort the list on the "Serial Number" column, you can see that it is another USB disk that is displayed.

This seems to be related to the fact that there is a kind of deduplication (serial number?).

Under OMV 4.5x the display was OK even if the disks had the same serial number (serial number of the USB controller)

Have you ever seem that? Is there something to do to have all devices displayed?

Can somebody help me?

Thank you

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!