After Upgrade to 4.1.23-1 my mdraid is not mounted etc

• Hi,

It was the disk that had changed named.

I.e this line in fstab :

Code
    /dev/disk/by-label/pgnas2 /srv/dev-disk-by-label-pgnas2 ext4 defaults,nofail,user_xattr,noexec,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0,acl 0 2

The device /dev/disk/by-label/pgnas2 does not exist

if i change it in fstab to :

Code
    /dev/md127 /srv/dev-disk-by-label-pgnas2 ext4 defaults,nofail,user_xattr,noexec,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0,acl 0 2

and do a mount -a

i then have :

Code
    root@pgnas2:/export/pgnas2# df -h
    Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    udev            2.0G     0  2.0G   0% /dev
    tmpfs           395M   11M  384M   3% /run
    /dev/sdf1       106G  3.2G   98G   4% /
    tmpfs           2.0G     0  2.0G   0% /dev/shm
    tmpfs           5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
    tmpfs           2.0G     0  2.0G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
    tmpfs           2.0G     0  2.0G   0% /tmp
    /dev/md127      8.2T  7.5T  700G  92% /export/pgnas2

My disk mounted (last line) and i can access the files on the nas

however , i still have the same problem in the omv gui :(

i can still not see that filesystem mounted in the gui.

but perhaps you can help fix that last bit?

Br
    Patric

• Done, still the same, not listed under filesystem, and cant change permissions on the shares.

Code
    Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; systemctl start 'sharedfolders-ssd.mount' 2>&1' with exit code '1': Assertion failed on job for sharedfolders-ssd.mount.

is there some omv specific command to rescan the filesystem etc?

Br
    Patric

• Hi,

I understand the mount.

I.e in /etc/fstab , we have two lines for this mount :

Code
    Here it mounts it the first time : 

/dev/disk/by-label/pgnas2 /srv/dev-disk-by-label-pgnas2 ext4 defaults,nofail,user_xattr,noexec,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0,acl 0 2

Here it remounts it to /export/pgnas2 :

/srv/dev-disk-by-label-pgnas2/pgnas /export/pgnas2 none bind,nofail 0 0

I have also managed to fix the issue with not being able to change permissions of the shares, my ssd zfs share was not mounted, when i manually mounted this, i can now change permissions.

So as i can tell, i have three problems left

1 The /dev/md127 disk is not listed under filesystems in OMV GUI

2 My ZFS pool does not seem to mount upon boot? i dont know how to make it mount automatically

3 how do i change my fstab in OMV? so that it mounts the disk by the correct name?

now i see that my fstab has been changed again, so fourth problem

4 The old name for my /dev/md127 is listed under filesystems as

see screenshot :

• Offizieller Beitrag

As I said I'm simply out of ideas, something is corrupt in your OMV setup, how, why, what, I've no idea you can edit fstab but by the look of that it is not going to fix it. The fact that your ssd does not mount automatically also points to some sort of corruption, and TBH this isn't just from an update, this could point to failing hardware. Have you had a power failure, these are the sort of things that point to your problem.

Do you have a backup of the boot drive and your data, have you run any smart tests across the drives or have you set up smart in the GUI

The screenshot is unreadable it's too small.

• Hi,

Sure it might be some corruption of omv config files.

But yes, its definately from the update, i had no problems before, and if i do things manually, they work, pointing to just a software problem.

i run a smart test across my drives every night, the raid is still active and healthy, so extremely unlikely its a problem with my disks.

its an omv config/database/software issue.

i keep it very simple, i only have one plugin added, and its the zfs plugin.

super duper thanks for your help geaves!

can anyone else on this community help further?

Br
    Patric

• no suggestions?

would it be simpler to re-install omv? will my zfs & raid 5 be recoverable if i reinstall? i.e i can access all files from withing my omv server atm, but i have this 4 problems still, and i dont know how to ifx them myself.

Br
    Patric

• Please, im a a bit desperate for help! , is reinstalling the os a possibility? , i can access all my data on the omv box, so my data is ok.

but i cannot acccess , the omv nas remotely due to the problems above.

i do not mind re-configuring everything after a re-install, i just need to know if my data will be ok / if this is the reckommended approach to fix my issues?

Br
    Patric

@ryecoaaron you have helped me in the past, and seem very very knowledgable about omv, could you please have a look at my post and see if you can help?

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you follow install instructions for OMV, you can't lose data on the data disks because they shouldn't be connected. I don't have time to reread all of these posts but we see this a lot when moving to OMV 4.x because there are existing zfs signatures on the mdadm array disks. There are a few posts about how to use wipefs to fix this.

I would think re-importing your zfs pool would make mount on boot. Really hoping you aren't using usb disks.

I don't know what you mean by old name for your array but the only way to change fstab and have the change be permanent is editing the mntent section of /etc/openmediavault/config.xml

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hi,

Many thanks for the reply.

before the upgrade, my mdraid disk was mounted like this by omv in fstab :

Code

However , after the upgrade /dev/disk/by-label/pgnas2 does not exist on my system. (and its no longer listed under filesystems on omv gui)
    if i however manually change my fstab to :

Code
    /dev/md127 /srv/dev-disk-by-label-pgnas2 ext4 defaults,nofail,user_xattr,noexec,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquo$

i can mount my mdraid with mount -a

i tried changing :

/etc/openmediavault/config.xml

Code
    <mntent>
            <uuid>2c344fc0-bd2d-4df5-982b-87c740d299ca</uuid>
            <fsname>/dev/disk/by-label/pgnas2</fsname>
            <dir>/srv/dev-disk-by-label-pgnas2</dir>

TO

Code
    <mntent>
            <uuid>2c344fc0-bd2d-4df5-982b-87c740d299ca</uuid>
            <fsname>/dev/md127</fsname>
            <dir>/srv/dev-disk-by-label-pgnas2</dir>

and rebooted, but fstab has not changed.

Best Regards
    Patric

• Offizieller Beitrag

However , after the upgrade /dev/disk/by-label/pgnas2 does not exist on my system. (and its no longer listed under filesystems on omv gui)

This is probably because your raid array is in a bad state. Therefore the filesystem on that array doesn't properly exist which means the device you listed doesn't exist. You need to get your array out of auto-read-only mode so the filesystem shows up. Changing fstab or the mntent entry is not the right way to go.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Hi,

I am not sure the raid is in a bad state?

i.e i have manually changed fstab now, the md127 disk is mounted i RW , i can read files, modify files and create new files on it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am not sure the raid is in a bad state?

In your first post it was. I didn't see the output of cat /proc/mdstat anywhere else. So, after reboot, the array comes up fine?

• Hi,

No, im afraid not.

i have to manually change /etc/fstab from the device that no longer exixts, i.e :

Code

To :

Code
    /dev/md127 /srv/dev-disk-by-label-pgnas2 ext4 defaults,nofail,user_xattr,noexec,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquo$

after that i can access the files locally in the nas box.

Br
    Patric

• Offizieller Beitrag

No, im afraid not.

I meant the array not the filesystem on the array. Something is up with the filesystem/label and udev isn't populating the filesystem in /dev/disk/by-label. This is why I said you should fix the problem instead of the fstab entry. Is there any weird entries in dmesg?

• Hi ok,

just rebooted, and yes the array seems to be there after reboot :

but like you/me said no filesystem mounted.

paste of my dmesg :
    https://termbin.com/ujcj

Br
    Patric

• Offizieller Beitrag

what is the output of (as root):

ls -al /dev/disk/by-label
    systemctl restart systemd-udev-trigger.service
    ls -al /dev/disk/by-label
    blkid

• Hi,

Sorry for slow response.

Code
    root@pgnas2:~# ls -al /dev/disk/by-label
    total 0
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  60 Aug 12 19:56 .
    drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 160 Aug 12 19:56 ..
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  10 Aug 12 19:56 ssd -> ../../sdb

Code
    root@pgnas2:~# systemctl restart systemd-udev-trigger.service
    root@pgnas2:~#
    Code
    root@pgnas2:~# ls -al /dev/disk/by-label
    total 0
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  60 Aug 12 19:56 .
    drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 160 Aug 12 19:56 ..
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  10 Aug 13 15:35 ssd -> ../../sdb1
    Code
    /dev/sda: UUID="a4eaac6d-09a7-678a-a410-39f545fc8a88" UUID_SUB="829814f6-afe7-cba4-e318-24feaf4234f0" LABEL="pgnas2:Raid5" TYPE="linux_raid_member"
    /dev/sdb1: LABEL="ssd" UUID="16055115822611016235" UUID_SUB="16333854279340365342" TYPE="zfs_member" PARTLABEL="zfs-cfaad19e7bf04ac2" PARTUUID="ffcf088a-ea6d-d643-8c7c-6a78625f922c"
    /dev/sde: UUID="a4eaac6d-09a7-678a-a410-39f545fc8a88" UUID_SUB="1f0a97e5-d8b2-7055-daea-5ad2158b81a1" LABEL="pgnas2:Raid5" TYPE="linux_raid_member"
    /dev/sdc: UUID="a4eaac6d-09a7-678a-a410-39f545fc8a88" UUID_SUB="d994823b-0bdb-77f3-8536-91fd896168ff" LABEL="pgnas2:Raid5" TYPE="linux_raid_member"
    /dev/sdd: UUID="a4eaac6d-09a7-678a-a410-39f545fc8a88" UUID_SUB="754525e4-e931-00ab-35ad-05355e77b4ad" LABEL="pgnas2:Raid5" TYPE="linux_raid_member"
    /dev/sdf1: UUID="f53de5f0-6b4f-4e67-9d08-2267ef9542f1" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="f6eb0bdb-01"
    /dev/sdf5: UUID="db997024-abda-4a75-984e-f8a82430d819" TYPE="swap" PARTUUID="f6eb0bdb-05"
    /dev/sdb9: PARTUUID="b56e0178-1205-694d-baae-07356e2e412b"
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Your array's filesystem is not showing up in blkid. This is why udev is not populating the /dev/disk entries. What is the output of (as root):

partprobe -s
    blkid /dev/md127

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!