Nextcloud with Letsencrypt using OMV and docker-compose - Q&A

• Offizieller Beitrag

All of this is because of how I started this journey in the OMV4 days with that pair of Nextcloud videos by TechnoDadLife. That is how he set up the conf files. I am just now getting my head around the wildcard method and sub.subdomains. That and KM0201 ’s posts above have me itching to try a paid domain without duckdns. As you say, with the wildcard method there is no limit to the number of sub.subdomains. I didn’t take your post as “the right way” or “my way” at all. I enjoy seeing the different approaches. They make me think. In fact I do think you guys have a superior way of subdomain layout so that you have one domain preceded with nextcloud. airsonic. ubooquity. Navidrome. etc.

If you don't use a generic top level domain (.com, .net, .org, and so on..) and you do don't pay for all their extras.. they are quite cheap. I got mine through domain.com. I used .xyz for the top level ( "mydomain.xyz").. and after declining all the stuff they try to upsell you (whois guard, SSL encryption, storage to host the website, and lots of other stuff), it was $3 for a year. If you don't pay attention you'll have about $100 in your cart when you go to check out. Delete all that and just get your domain for 1yr... and it's almost nothing to try if it's something that interests you.

• I didn’t take your post as “the right way” or “my way” at all. I enjoy seeing the different approaches. They make me think.

My thoughts exactly: as soon as you see other possibilities, your "noodle starts to unravel the secrets of the Universe", :D

But, jokes aside, I think the guys at linuxserver did a really great job with all of the pre-made conf.samples to not make good use of them.

Even in the event of a "lost docker drive" (not the configs of the services), it's just a matter of firing up again SWAG and rename the one's you need at you're back on track, :)

• I used .xyz for the top level ( "mydomain.xyz")

This way, how one would set the SWAG environment?

Code
      swag:
        environment:
          - PUID=1000
          - PGID=100
          - TZ=Europe/Lisbon
          - URL=mydomain.xyz
          - SUBDOMAINS=nextcloud,motioneye,bitwarden,etc
          - VALIDATION=http
    #      - DUCKDNSTOKEN=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
          - EMAIL=xxxxx@gmail.com
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Did you check the cost for the second year?

I think it was like $14, but this is a hobby project.. if they jack the price way up, I'll just register a new, cheaper domain... no big deal to me. Namecheap had tons of TLD suggestions that were as low as $2 for a year

• Offizieller Beitrag

Code
      swag:
        environment:
          - PUID=1000
          - PGID=100
          - TZ=Europe/Lisbon
          - URL=mydomain.xyz
          - VALIDATION=http
          - EMAIL=xxxxx@gmail.com

without the token of course, but yes. You also need www as a subdomain I think (I have it, that takes me to the swag park site). You could wildcard it and probably avoid adding all those subdomains, and just make sure your CNAME's are setup, and you'll be good

• Offizieller Beitrag

You don’t need www.

In the CNAME? Could've swore I read that was required... it may not be required though.

In the docker-compose.. No, probably not... but if you're having problems getting setup that's where the swag Success/Welcome screen is parked (http://www.yourdomain.xyz), so if it works, the proxy is working... so it's a good test.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Code
      swag: 
        environment: 
          - PUID=1000 
          - PGID=100 
          - TZ=Europe/Lisbon 
          - URL=mydomain.xyz 
          - VALIDATION=http 
          - EMAIL=xxxxx@gmail.com

I scratched my head at the duckdns line then I saw you had it commented out. I don’t know when, but I’m going to try this. I already have a domain name bought, but I don’t want to mess with a perfectly good Nextcloud install. Great snippet of code Soma .

• Offizieller Beitrag

I scratched my head at the duckdns line then I saw you had it commented out. I don’t know when, but I’m going to try this. I already have a domain name bought, but I don’t want to mess with a perfectly good Nextcloud install. Great snippet of code Soma .

When I got duckdns working again, I was a little ambivalent about trying this again and screwing up what was working... so it was really pretty easy to do w/o messing with my current nextcloud install.

I always have a virtualbox install for testing things, etc. Main thing is to make sure it's calling for it's own IP from the router (which is easy).

So I purchased my domain, logged in to my router, and all the ports that were forwarded for nextcloud to my server, I changed them and forwarded them to my virtual install. Some routers won't let you change IP's on these, and you have to delete the rule and create a new one (my old router you could, this one you can't), so I just took a screenshot of the port forwarding page and saved it. Deleted my forward ports for nextcloud to my server IP, and created them again, but pointed them at my virtual install.

Then I just took my stack from my server install, modified the volumes and other things relating to my domain.. and ran it on the virtual install. Made sure it all worked .

When it did and I saw how easy it was, I shutdown the virtual machine, went back to the router and changed my rules back to how they were originally. Deleted the nextcloud.subdomain.conf and made a new one from the .sample. Also went ahead and modified the config.php (backup your old one) with my new domains, etc. as presented in this thread Finally, I modified the swag portion of my stack and deployed.

It sounds more complicated than it actually was... but it was incredibly easy.

• Hi,

I have a perfectly running Nextcloud Container, built by the How-To of macom, currently on NC-Version 20.0.8

After updating to 20.0.9 the NC is not reachable from outside my network any more. It seems, that everything with WebDav (including the NC-App) doesn't work any more, even from inside my network.

I tried to do the proxy configs again, but with no luck so I rolled back to 20.0.8 from my Backup. I don't know, how to fix this.

Anyone else who has these Issues or an idea how to fix this?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you execute the upgrade from (the app GUI) Nextcloud’s Settings/Overview tab, and if so, did you remove the file /config/nginx/site-confs/default before starting the upgrade? The upgrade will generate a new one.

• Did you execute the upgrade from (the app GUI) Nextcloud’s Settings/Overview tab, and if so, did you remove the file /config/nginx/site-confs/default before starting the upgrade? The upgrade will generate a new one.

Hi Agricola,

I made the upgrade from CLI (Solution 2 from this How-To)

After your hint I nevertheless tried the upgrade with deleting the mentioned file before. Same result.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi Agricola,

After your hint I nevertheless tried the upgrade with deleting the mentioned file before. Same result.

Didn't Soma post something earlier in this thread about about an upcoming compatibility issue with Mariadb, if you weren't updated there earlier? I'm on 21.0.1.1 w/o issue.

What version of mariadb are you on?

• How long has it been since you've last updated the images?!?!

How did you update the Nextcloud? Via Nextcloud itself? Via docker-compose? More info of what you did/do is needed

BTW, Nextcloud is already running v21.0.1:

• Offizieller Beitrag

I guess you could redeploy docker compose. There is an upgrade section farther down in the linuxserver/Nextcloud documentation.

• How long has it been since you've last updated the images?!?!

How did you update the Nextcloud? Via Nextcloud itself? Via docker-compose? More info of what you did/do is needed

I have Watchtower running every night. The Images should be up to date

I did the upgrade as suggested here (Solution 2). This worked before e.g. from 20.0.7 -> 20.0.8

I encoutered the issue a few weeks ago but had no time fixing it. Now after the upgrade to 20.0.9 I can directly upgrade to 21.0.1 but the issue stays.

• If you

Hi Agricola,

The issue here is, you must have already seen an error been announced on the administrator page of Nextcloud (Settings-->Basic Settings(translated from Portuguese, maybe it's different)) that the "Upcoming v21 won't work with MariaDB v10.1.

In order to update, you must first update the MariaDB to a different one (>10.2).

There was a discussion (and a method provided by Morlan to do it on page 26 (or around it) of this Q&A)

Follow those instructions to, first, have a safe backup of your Database.

Then, you can use the new "linuxserver\mariadb:alpine" (see the TAG "alpine") version instead of the webhippie.

The backup will then be restored to the new MariaDB.

After that you can upgrade the Nextcloud image and do the proper upgrade.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!